Juggernaut is offline AR Jester

Sumo style Deadlifts...anyone do these?

Me being an older bro and having the back of an 80 year old man I've always had prblems with my back when it comes to deadlifts. My doctor and plenty of others have suggested I stop doing these but for the life of me I hate to drop something I feel is an asset. Generally I use a moderate weight but now and then, when the pounds creep up I'll throw my back out and be out of the game for a week or better healing. Well here recently I've been doing deads where my feet will be postioned outside my arms, sort of like a sumo style stance, and my arms hang between my legs. I've found that while performing these lifts my back stays in a nutral postion and that I can still lift a good amount of weight and not throw my back out. I got up to 315 this morning for my last working set and my back, though it felt tight, wasn't hurting and I got a hell of a workout doing it.

Any of you bros tried this type of lift?

nathanw21 is offline Member
    i do it. i am a tall guy 6'3 and it is way better on my back. i have to bend down so low doing it regular style.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I've done Sumo style in the past but found i did not like it as much. I could however, pull a lot more weight Sumo style.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    i always pull sumo and love it. it is really hard for me to get down in a traditional stance and get a good grip on the bar. i just love the sumo style and it feels great to me.
    ~HOP

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I've done Sumo style in the past but found i did not like it as much. I could however, pull a lot more weight Sumo style.
    I agree it does take a little getting used too but it was either this or not doing any at all....I didn't like that idea at all. My shins like them a lot.

HOP, I've noticed I can lift a good amount as well.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ........I'm 6' tall and I never liked deads with the conventional narrow stance.
    Sumo-style was the answer for me. Helps keep the back straight and reminds me to push with my legs as well as pull with the back and arms..........

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death
    ........I'm 6' tall and I never liked deads with the conventional narrow stance.
    Sumo-style was the answer for me. Helps keep the back straight and reminds me to push with my legs as well as pull with the back and arms..........
    I can feel how much more my legs are envolved with this movement as well. My lower back and glutes were feeling it this morning.

I have had three back surgeries and I feel that my back is stronger when I do. I always do sumo and I love it. Regular deads hurt my back like hell. Sumo is awesome and I can pull a hell of a lot of weight.

Train Hard

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    When you do sumo deads your feet are much more wider and toes slight angle BUT your hand grip position is INSIDE your legs just like you described. Some get better balance with weight more evanly distributed and the hammies are less involved therfore higher weight may be the result. If the hammies are weak then balance could be off during the concentric(upward) part of the lift. I know squats can be like that and I believe deads too.

Thread Information