Two4the$$ is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Deadlifts, AAS, Myths/Mistakes in training...

Stats:

Male
    30 y.o.
    197 pounds
    6-3
    11.5% bf
    no major injuries

I am in my second week of AAS:

Weeks 1-13 500mg Test-E
    Weeks 1-12 400mg EQ

So, I am making gains, both in the mirror and in strength - but IMO, there’s no such thing as “fast enough.” LOL Anyway… I have a few concepts that I am trusting to be true enough, but, they seem quite open to debate so, have at it.

First, what day do I incorporate my deadlifts in to? I have started doing back extensions and [think] it might be wise to do those a few more times before I start ****ing with deadlifts as they could be stressful (that is the idea) for the lower back. Second, whats a good entry level weight to start with re: deadlifts? I really have no basis for choosing.

Second, according to the book “Target Bodybuilding” which uses an MRI to observe which muscles are being used on which exercises, it seems that doing decline and incline benchpress aren’t as “targeting” an exercise as one would intuitively think. I know there are some people here that are COMMITTED to believing otherwise, but if you don’t have a SPECIFIC argument for this, please, there’s no need to comment. I only want comments from people who know of this source’s findings and have other evidence that may mitigate it. Personally, my preference is that inclined press DOES work, as I prefer to have a disproportioned chest, developed more on TOP than bottom.

Currently, I’m not doing anything for shoulders, and goal wise this bothers me. I want BOLT-ON looking shoulders. They are one of my fav groups… but since I am a relative beginner, 6-3 @ 197lbs, I have been told to use these “compound exercises” … and that will INCLUDE shoulders… I.e., bench press does front deltoid, seated row does rear… Will this be adequate to get them bigger? And to keep them proportioned?

Next, I don’t do fly’s… should I?

What is more likely to produce good results? Heavy weight or good form? My form could be better if I lowered the weight, but I am NOT doing anything that nears injury.

What’s better, seated cable rows or t-bar rows?

WHAT is the deal with failure? Can someone define muscle failure? How can you go beyond actual failure? And how far from failure should my last rep be if not TO failure?

REMEMBER, 500mg Test + 400mg EQ … otherwise I would have two more days off.

Mon: Warm up
    3 sets 6-10 reps flat bench.
    3 sets 8 reps dips
    3 sets 6-10 reps incline bench

Tues: Warm up
    3 sets 10-12 reps Leg Press
    3 sets 12 reps Ham Curls
    3 sets 12 reps cable kick back type machine.

Wed: Warm up
    1 set pull ups, about 8
    2 sets pull down bar 10-12
    3 sets seated rows 10-12
    3 sets Bicep curls 8 reps

Thrus: Warm up
    3 sets 10-12 reps Leg Press
    3 sets 12 reps Ham Curls
    3 sets 12 reps cable kick back type machine.

Fri: Warm up
    3 sets 6-10 reps flat bench.
    3 sets 8 reps dips
    3 sets 6-10 reps incline bench

** When I can do 3 sets of my particular weight to 12 reps, I go up in weight. I time my intervals to be 90 seconds or less.

My second week inverts my chest/back days… so on odd numbered weeks there are 2 chest days and 1 back day, and on even there are 2 back days and 1 chest day. Although I’m at 11% or 12% bf, on the weekends I take 4 mile hikes uphill on sat/sun, and I walk about a mile to and from the gym mon - fri.

CRITIQUES ARE WELCOME! Insults are not! Thanks kindly….

ironpumpindoc is offline Junior Member
    check out the workouts on the main page, also, see dog crap routine. When on cycle, I go as heavy as possible while keeping form except on the last 2 reps where form can really lack. Most of my last sets go to failure, where you need help or you won't get the rep out. I don't know what works for you, but I train body parts once per week, chest+tris monday, legs tuesday, off weds, shoulders+bis thursday, and back friday. This works well for me, but you have to find your own system. Also, I am a strict believer in compound movements . . . squats, deadlifts, benchpress, shoulderpress, shrugs, etc. are the basis of my workouts . . . the rest is just details. Also, make sure you are eating for size . . . go to the BULKING sticky at the top of the diet forum for a guide. You won't put on size if you don't eat. Just another note, I do incline DB bench and flys, but no decline. If you want big shoulders, you are going to have to work them . . . they won't come along without direct work. There was a thread about t-bar row vs pulley row . . . and T row won by a landslide. Best of luck to you.

Two4the$$ is offline Senior Member
    Okay, cool. Glad to hear that there is a definitive agreement on T-Rows - consider that subject put to rest. My only concern is that training to failure is supposed to be the main cause for over-training - which on the other hand I hear the hype of over-training borders on paranoia. Its difficult for me to turn the threads and replies in to a clear cut continuum of knowledge, and where to draw the line to avoid over-training. Unfortunately, I am concluding that I will just have to figure it out with time or wait until there is a definitive answer on that subject that works for MOST people, accurately and productively.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    do deads with back.

id start with 135 and work your way up.

Thread Information