Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member

Lifting to Max every workout

If I was going for size and strength do you think its better to go for maximum weight every wk for that bodypart or is it better to do max lift on week then a little less the week after only with a few more reps ??

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO to gain size and strength you have to do two different workouts. What I do is a three month heavy period (4-6 reps) to gain strength and then a three month lighter, but still fairly heavy period (8-10) reps to gain size, and keep going back and fourth between the two.

So for a 3 month spell i should bench to the max all the time and then for the next 3 month just do say 60-70% but with more reps ?

My stats are

168lb
    6ft
    25 yr old
    Goal :size and strength

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    So for a 3 month spell i should bench to the max all the time and then for the next 3 month just do say 60-70% but with more reps ?

My stats are

168lb
    6ft
    25 yr old
    Goal :size and strength
    Yeah for the first three months do whatever weight you can manage for 4-6 reps, using 4 sets for large muscle groups, and two sets for arms IMO. The next three months do whatever weight you can manage for 8-10 reps, using 3 sets for large muscle groups and again two sets for smaller muscle groups. Lower reps builds strength and higher reps builds size, so each time you complete the heavy lifting phase you will be stronger going into the size building phase than the time before, allowing you to lift heavier weights for 8-10 reps, in turn making you grow more. You WILL gain size during the heavy lifting phase but it is meant to build strength so you can lift more during the size building phase.

Im pleased you mentioned that TEST cos I alway though that when liftimg heavy weight for low reps that it would increase size primerily. I thought that when doing more reps with a litttle less weight that it would serve to tone my body more.....no wonder im stuck at my stats right now. Thanks

colossus1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical King
    If I was going for size and strength do you think its better to go for maximum weight every wk for that bodypart or is it better to do max lift on week then a little less the week after only with a few more reps ??

Why do you feel the need to max out at all? 5 rep sets are good enough to build strength when using core movements (deads, squats, bench, bent over rows etc).......then utilize higher rep ranges for specific body parts.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    Maxing doesn't build strength.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    continious maxing out puts strain body parts and increases chance of injury imo

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    continious maxing out puts strain body parts and increases chance of injury imo
    i totally agree.

I only max every 8-10 weeks or so.

Thread Information