Thread: New Pr

6_pak is offline Associate Member

New Pr

6_pak
    Associate Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im a bb'er and usually im not concerned with any one rep maxes, but yesterday i wanted to see what my max was on deadlift. Over the past 4 months ive just been going up to 405 repin it out, but i felt really good, so i put on 500lbs, yes the 2.5 on each side, i couldnt resist. Anyways i pulled a double to my surprise. My w/o partner talked me into trying 545. Again, to my surprise i pulled it. Over the next 4-6 weeks im going to work on my explosive power from the beginning of the movement, and try to perfect my form. At that point im going to go for 585, if all gos well i'll shoot for 600.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    To determine your 1RM properly, you should refrain from training chest, shoulders, or triceps 48 hours prior to testing. You should also perform the test before you start your normal workout. No use trying to determine how strong you are in a particular lift if you’ve just finished an incredibly grueling workout, regardless of what body part is involved. You should also warm up properly and make sure you’ve got a conscientious spotter handy in case your 1RM is less than the weight you’ve piled on the bar.

Here’s how to determine your 1RM:

Warm up with a light weight for four to five reps. (Doing too many warm-up reps might generate too much lactic acid and screw up your 1RM.) Repeat twice.

Rest two minutes after your final warm-up set.

Increase the weight to one you can handle for eight reps.

Rest three minutes.

Increase the weight to one you can handle for three to four reps.

Rest three minutes.

Add weight, and attempt to lift the weight once.

If you failed, rest three minutes, reduce the weight, and try again. If you succeeded in lifting the weight, rest three minutes, add some weight, and try again. Repeat steps six and seven until you fail at lifting the weight.

-musclemedia

hope it helps

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Congrats brutha, that's impressive!

I'm not a powerlifter, so I'll defer to those who are for that training advice.

Sky is the limit!

~SC~

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    I would work up to a three rep max till you can no longer perform three reps at a given weight. Then start performing 1 rep maxes. I may take 3-4 sets of doing 1 rep sets till you reach your max. I usually go 10,8,5,3 max (as many as it takes), then 1 max is many is it takes. Usually do 2 sets at 3 rep max before I go to 1. Around 3 sets at 1 rep before reach my max.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    To determine your 1RM properly, you should refrain from training chest, shoulders, or triceps 48 hours prior to testing. You should also perform the test before you start your normal workout. No use trying to determine how strong you are in a particular lift if you’ve just finished an incredibly grueling workout, regardless of what body part is involved. You should also warm up properly and make sure you’ve got a conscientious spotter handy in case your 1RM is less than the weight you’ve piled on the bar.

Here’s how to determine your 1RM:

Warm up with a light weight for four to five reps. (Doing too many warm-up reps might generate too much lactic acid and screw up your 1RM.) Repeat twice.

Rest two minutes after your final warm-up set.

Increase the weight to one you can handle for eight reps.

Rest three minutes.

Increase the weight to one you can handle for three to four reps.

Rest three minutes.

Add weight, and attempt to lift the weight once.

If you failed, rest three minutes, reduce the weight, and try again. If you succeeded in lifting the weight, rest three minutes, add some weight, and try again. Repeat steps six and seven until you fail at lifting the weight.

-musclemedia

hope it helps

I appreciate the response and i will use the method of warming up that you listed. Like i said before im a bb'er so refraining from training shoulders/chest is out of the question as my shoulder routine precedes back. Im not concerned enough with my deadlift plan to screw up my w/o for the week. I totally agree with trying it at the start, its just common sense to know you'll be stronger and more focused.

Another ? comes in mind- what is the correct way to spot a deadlift. My guess is the spotter is behind the lifter, like most spots, and just in case the lifter goes back too far on his heels and loses his balance.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    Another ? comes in mind- what is the correct way to spot a deadlift. My guess is the spotter is behind the lifter, like most spots, and just in case the lifter goes back too far on his heels and loses his balance.

yeah your right.

spot from behind.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    You don't spot a deadlift.

When I max on deadlift I go:

315x4
    405x3
    495x1
    585x1
    675x1
    725x1 (might not even do this set)
    800+ x1

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    g src="images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" class="inlineimg" />

Thread Information