BigTex_z28 is offline New Member

POLL: What did you do to Inc. calf size?...

I have tried EVERYTHING.
    Just polling on this one.

A lot of calve raises and jump ropes.
    Last edited by YounG_SluG11; 03-10-2005 at 10:57 PM.

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    ive upped my reps to 20-25 and ill point my toes in one set to hit the outer calve then the next set ill point my toes out to hit the inner calve and in just wks ive already noticed a lil change in my calve size that was a weak point for me

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    oh ya i just like donkey raises, standing calve raises and sitting calve raises every once in a while when im doing leg press ill through in some sets for calves on that machine

Aristides is offline New Member
    i remember arnold sayin that calves need really heavy weight for higher reps. since if you think about it, you are using your own bodyweight all day just by walking around. he also worked them nearly every day to bring em up. so i'll throw calves or any other lagging bodypart into a workout for a few sets whenever they arent sore.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I walk...

xenithon is offline Member
    I was trying to find some new ways to get the calves to grow. As you may know, they tend to be VERY stubborn, and too often I see genetics being blamed as the culprit and people give up on good calves.

I came across this calf workout on another site and it looks seriously insane! What do you think?

Here it is:

1) Single-leg standing calf press to failure using body weight, done at a 321 tempo. (That's three seconds down, two seconds pause, and one second up.)

No rest, then:

2) Same leg, single leg bodyweight calf press to failure with your torso bent forward, at 321.

No rest, then:

3) Same leg, single leg calf press on incline leg press machine at 321.

No rest, then:

4) Same leg, single leg calf press on seated calf press machine at 321.

No rest, then:

5) Same leg, single leg toe ups (dorsi flexion: you can do this on the lying leg curl machine by putting your toes under the bottom roller pad and raising the foot toward your body) to failure at 311 tempo.

No rest, then:

6) Same leg, single leg hopping for between 60 to 120 reps, without any heel contact on ground (height of hop isn't that important for now, just get the volume in, the more the better).

No rest, then:

7) Same leg, single leg balance for 30 seconds to 1 minute (if you find it to be easy, close your eyes.)

Then make sure you do the other leg.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    the best way i found is to hold for several seconds at the peak of being flexed, & slow reps...

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Try holding it on the stretch for 3 seconds and for 2 on the peak. Its a boring workout .Its just so ****ing slow. But hey trust me it works your calves are going to burn so bad. It will be alot easier than xenithons proposed workout and it works pretty good to. Just do as many sets and reps as it takes to get them sore. The key is to get them sore. I f you cant get em sore they will not grow. Dont take it easy on them give then something to remember the next day.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Jump Rope Barefoot on concrete GO

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    no poll liste bro.

i like mixing it up.

calf raises are a favorite

Do em everyday. Watch em explode.

mudslinger is offline New Member
    At one time I had no calfs, my ankles went up to my knees. I hit them hard, an over time went up in weight to get some results. 2 months ago someone told me to try shortening my rest period between sets, ( if I do 15 reps I rest 15 seconds, 20 reps, I rest 20 seconds). This is suppose to make other,deeper parts of the muscles of the calf be used. I can see the results, plus it shortens my time spent working out the calfs. Try it with the other sugestions on this page.

xenithon is offline Member
    If you cant get em sore they will not grow
    Absolute rubbish. Since when is soreness an indicator of hypertrophy? Tell me, if you do 5 sets of 5 heavy reps of strict barbell curls, very often your bis may not get sore. But they will most likely be growing (provided all other factors are duly in place). Now take a 10lb dumbbell and do 150 curls. You will most likely not move your bis for a week. Does that mean they will grow more from it?

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Absolute rubbish. Since when is soreness an indicator of hypertrophy? Tell me, if you do 5 sets of 5 heavy reps of strict barbell curls, very often your bis may not get sore. But they will most likely be growing (provided all other factors are duly in place). Now take a 10lb dumbbell and do 150 curls. You will most likely not move your bis for a week. Does that mean they will grow more from it?
    Why would you want to do a hypertrophy workout when ever you are going for mass. Hpertrophy is to wait like 30 sec. to a min. inbetween each set. To build mass you have to wait like 2 to 3 min. inbetween each set.

To build muscle you have to tear it down. So there for you should be sore or you are not working out hard enough.

Look buddy I never suggested doing 150 reps now did I. Also Bis are not Calves so you really cant compare the two. Also he asked if anyone new a good workout for calves because he had a problem. You are the one that suggested doing an outragous amout of reps not me.
    But I realy dont want to argue with you about it i stated my opinion and you stated yours so lets just leave it at that.

Im always sore after working out.

Im pretty sure some others can back me up on being sore after working out,.

IF IT AINT HURTIN YOU AINT WORKING

dingobite is offline Associate Member
    im going to just be doing squats on 3 differant smiths machines to grow them with my legs but heres how i did it getting back in shape.

You wont like the way i desribe them but do tell do tell.
    One legged squats for 10s sets of 4s 3 nights a week.

You wont like it at all, all done natural.

How i got my calfs up to 17' half for 3 weeks from 15s at home i stapped all the bows on the bowflex no leg extension, put one foot on the back of the bflex and went to work full bend till knee was in my face calves hitting my hamstrings. Also had my thighs up to 27 inches for 3 weeks along with the calfs at 17s.
    Ive no clue what the true weight on the BFlex is so i assume anywhere from 200lbs to 300 out of the 410lb bows i was getting plus all th eweight is revesed like standing squats calfs get hit hard this way.

Been in the gym a few months and im more than confident ill keep the added mass on and keep growing.
    Calfs 16
    thigh/knee 18s, -normally same size as calves.
    thigh 25

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    We do a lot of glute ham raises for our hamstrings but they've put a few inches on my calves as well.

Dropsets of calf raises, but then again I was blessed with Yao Ming calves...

Thread Information