S R H is offline Associate Member

messed up back AGAIN on deads

Wow... today i was doing stiff-legged deads on a box, i went pretty deep on the first set and i think i rounded my back a bit and it kinda hurt. Anyways a few mins later i put on a belt and did another set and i think i rounded my back more on this one and i felt a slight pain in my lower right abdomen.

Anyways it felt like this pain above my groin area was hurting more and more so i skipped quads and left the gym. Anyways 2 hours later my lower back started hurted very bad and now 4 hours later its killing me to even sit.

I have no ideawhat happened, im just praying i didnt get a hernia or fvck up my lower discs. I dont know what to do either, it hurts so **** bad.

Also it is pretty much only on my right side, maybe cause i was watching myself in a mirror to my right as i was lifting, who knows.

Any help guys its fvcking killing me, and i just took a celebrex.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    That would be why I dont do stiff leg deads right now

511220 is offline Associate Member
    Heating pad.

How heavy did you go?

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    fvck stiff leg deads those always hurt my back ill do them light weight and be fine but when u start throwing on that weight they can be bruital on ur back, heat it up and take some aleve and maybe stretch it out a lil bit u should be good in a few days or so

200 lbs... not to bad... im doing DC training right now and did 190 last week. It wasnt that it was too heavy i just think i let my form go to shiit, and got sloppy with it. I dont have a pad... so i think ill go in the hot tub.

Quote Originally Posted by S R H
    200 lbs... not to bad... im doing DC training right now and did 190 last week. It wasnt that it was too heavy i just think i let my form go to shiit, and got sloppy with it. I dont have a pad... so i think ill go in the hot tub.
    Yeah get the heat on it asap. Thing with stiff leg's is you really dont have to go heavy to kill your hams, but keeping the back straight is really the key.

Wish you the best on a heal up,

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    LOL Even w/ Stiff leffed dead lifts you still have to bend you knees.. to maintain proper posture and IMO i would use db's instead of bb for greater mobility and ease stress on spinal erectus

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    LOL Even w/ Stiff leffed dead lifts you still have to bend you knees.. to maintain proper posture and IMO i would use db's instead of bb for greater mobility and ease stress on spinal erectus
    Bending your knees negates the target on hams and glutes...so what's the point?. Thats why you go light with stiff legged dead's.

Then again I've never done "stiff leffed dead lifts" I always use both leg's

Last edited by 511220; 03-14-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 511220
    Bending your knees negates the target on hams and glutes...so what's the point?. Thats why you go light with stiff legged dead's.

Then again I've never done "stiff leffed dead lifts" so hey

Negative
    its all dependent upon the arch in the back, i rape my hams doing slightly bent SL DB Deads.. i assure u its all about form VERY difficult to teach w/o Visually demonstrating... but u have to slightly bend your knees.. keep back rigidly arched and make sure ur ass is sticking out as much as possible.

Negative
    its all dependent upon the arch in the back, i rape my hams doing slightly bent SL DB Deads.. i assure u its all about form VERY difficult to teach w/o Visually demonstrating... but u have to slightly bend your knees.. keep back rigidly arched and make sure ur ass is sticking out as much as possible.
    Interesting...I'll give it a try next time in and test er out.

Quote Originally Posted by 511220
    Interesting...I'll give it a try next time in and test er out.

yes you really gotta play w/ it and listen to your hams .. if you dont feel it stick your ass out more

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    It does work w/knees bent, I can attest to that.

This is definitely easier to do w/d-bells.

~SC~

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    I like them too..just did them tonight. I don't use really heavy weights for this movement though. I quickly jump to leg curls after this and get a great burn in the hams.

Yes, i used to not bend my knees and it would always hurt my kness so bad and i would barely feel it in my hams cause i was locking my legs. I started to bend my knees slightly just SLIGHTLY so i wasnt locking out my knees and im telling you, its a killer ham/ lower back exercise. Too bad i let my form slip today and i could be fvcked up for good. 10 Hours later and im still in very very bad pain, even after the hot tub for an hour.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    somtimes back pobs can be from tight hips flexers ...they inhibit you from going threw the grove of the Deads....just an idea

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel like the best solution is just to use a light enough weight on SLD's. My deadlift is getting close to 500 and i don't go over 185 on sld's..

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    I feel like the best solution is just to use a light enough weight on SLD's. My deadlift is getting close to 500 and i don't go over 185 on sld's..
    Yeah that sounds good... only problem though. Im doing dc training, so i keep upping the weight, cause that part of the program. But i dont know what to do anymore. 12 hours later, feeling slightly better. Time for sleep ill see how i feel im the AM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No matter what kind of training you are doing, if it's causing you this much pain, I'd think twice about causing myself that kind of pain again.

~SC~

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I can get up too around 300 on SLD's and I don't generally have problems with my back because I make **** sure my form is spot on...anytime you're doing any exercises utilizing your back it pays to keep form. I try and keep my knees locked but here of late I've noticed they bend slightly on the pull no matter how hard I try and keep them straight. Another thing to keep in mind, cause I see a lot of people doing them wrong, is to not pull the weight above the knees.....if you're targeting hamms going above the knee shifts to lower back..not something you want to do.

I've a really bad back so when I feel the slightest tingle I stop SLD's with a barbell and switch over to db's. If you want to hit the hamms dead on try doing one-legged SLD's.......it take s a bit getting used to but they work great. Not to mention you're spine is in a nutral postion and shouldn't hurt you at all.

I know a lot of bros have mentioned heat be applied to your back but I like ice......it's about the only relief I can get when my back goes out.......if you try ice keep it on there until it feels like your spin is frozen, take it off, let it warm up a little then apply the ice again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    It does work w/knees bent, I can attest to that.

This is definitely easier to do w/d-bells.

~SC~
    HOLY KRAP.. SC agrees w/ me
    bend those knees bytch and STICK OUT THAT ASS!
    wait a minute.. attest.. does that mean agree or disagree?

ok 11 hours after i took that celebrex.... i woke up and its not hurting AT ALL. Now i dont know if its from that celebrex, but if it is i got 1 more hour left. If not I owe god big time for this one. Anyways ill keep u posted, thx for all the posts guys, means alot to me.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Ya, always keep a slight bend in the knees on SLD's.... this allows more target in the hams.. and not the knees.

Also, dont come all the way up, then it starts to target the back.. not the hams.

Go see a doc... and pop some motrin... sounds like a tear or strain.

Thread Information