EatRite is offline Senior Member

to stretch or not to stretch???

do you guys stretch, and if so, when, how much and how often??? i would really like to get answers from some of the bigger guys on the board, as i am hoping to acheive these ends myself, and want to know if stretching will help to get me there?!?!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I stretch. About 5-10 minutes after my workout. Same muscles worked in that workout.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    do you guys stretch, and if so, when, how much and how often??? i would really like to get answers from some of the bigger guys on the board, as i am hoping to acheive these ends myself, and want to know if stretching will help to get me there?!?!
    Stretching is a key ingredient in the bodybuilding recipe. It helps tremendously(sp?) with recovery and helps protect you from injury. You should be stretching lightly at the beginning of your workout along with your warm up sets to help get those juices flowing. You should also stretch throughout your workout to help encourage bloodflow to the muscle group you are working, remember, you want to allow(sp?) as much blood as possible to enter the muscles while theyre being worked, some muscle groups require more stretching than others ie: back/lats. And last but not least you DEFINATLY want to be streching PWO to prevent the muscle from siezing up and cramping, its just like a long distance runner who has just ran a marathon, do you think hes going to finish and then just sit down and rest, I dont think so, I like to stretch PWO along with my PWO shake. If you havent already been stretching I guarantee you will notice a difference with muscle growth and recovery and the quality of your workouts if you start.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    yes stretching is very important. I didn't do it for the longest time because I was stupid and lazy. but once you start, you do notice a difference. You seem more full. Depending on what muscle I'm working depends on how much I stretch. Legs and back I stretch really well. biceps, triceps, chest I stretch a little less.

DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member
    I'm currently going to physical therapy for my knee at UCLA, I asked that same question to my therapist ( which is really good and knows alot ) she said stretching is great, but dont over do it....hope that helps..

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Stretching is a key ingredient in the bodybuilding recipe. It helps tremendously(sp?) with recovery and helps protect you from injury. You should be stretching lightly at the beginning of your workout along with your warm up sets to help get those juices flowing. You should also stretch throughout your workout to help encourage bloodflow to the muscle group you are working, remember, you want to allow(sp?) as much blood as possible to enter the muscles while theyre being worked, some muscle groups require more stretching than others ie: back/lats. And last but not least you DEFINATLY want to be streching PWO to prevent the muscle from siezing up and cramping, its just like a long distance runner who has just ran a marathon, do you think hes going to finish and then just sit down and rest, I dont think so, I like to stretch PWO along with my PWO shake. If you havent already been stretching I guarantee you will notice a difference with muscle growth and recovery and the quality of your workouts if you start.

you are not supposed to stretch before you lift because it takes power away from the muscle, making it weaker, preventing max hypertrophy... this is what i've heard...

the comparison given is like a bollon... if you stretch a balloon before you blow it up, it will be easier to blow it up because it is weak... your muscle is the same way, if you stretch it, it becomes weaker...

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about regular stretching or some type of PNF or extreme stretching to accelerate muscle growth?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Stretched Muscles are Happy muscles and granted tight muscles might be easier to lift because they have a natural resistance to the force applied... but, when you have warmed up and stretched your muscles will be utilized much more efficiently in long range motion and compound movements and you will get better results from resistance training.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I stretch between sets...and i exagerrate the strech during sets. In actuality, the more a muscle is stretched prior to acontraction...the harder it can contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I stretch between sets...and i exagerrate the strech during sets. In actuality, the more a muscle is stretched prior to acontraction...the harder it can contract.
    aye thats what i heard something about being able to incorporate more fibers n' neurotransmitters for ALC .. something along that crap...

1819 is offline Senior Member
    stretching should be a part of your workout pre and post. you guys that work hard know that there's nothin worse than time lost cause you pulled a muscle. even worse knowing you might have prevented losing a month for a lousy 5 minute stretch.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I always stretch the muscles to be worked after a couple of warm-up sets.

I have another analogy like the balloon one. Your muscles are like rubber bands, when they are warm they stretch far and are pliable. When rubber bands are cold, you go to contract or pull the rubber band quickly, it snaps in half quite easily.

Warm up and stretch a bit, that's what I'd advise. I'd never work a cold muscle nor would I ever stretch cold either.

~SC~

"Cold Muscles are weak muscles and stretched muscles are happy muscles.." Some dood in a StrongMan competition said that.. i thought it was cute..

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    you are not supposed to stretch before you lift because it takes power away from the muscle, making it weaker, preventing max hypertrophy... this is what i've heard...

the comparison given is like a bollon... if you stretch a balloon before you blow it up, it will be easier to blow it up because it is weak... your muscle is the same way, if you stretch it, it becomes weaker...
    Thats why I only said to stretch SLIGHTLY with you warmup sets, I find stretching a little bit before I lift works great. Sure it can take power away from the muscle but that all depends on how much you are steching it.

I dunno about anyone else, but I have the most power/best forceful contractions when I am fully warm/stretched and can work the muscles through their entire range of motion and recruit power from the entire movement.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I dunno about anyone else, but I have the most power/best forceful contractions when I am fully warm/stretched and can work the muscles through their entire range of motion and recruit power from the entire movement.

~SC~
    same here..

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I always stretch the muscles to be worked after a couple of warm-up sets.

I have another analogy like the balloon one. Your muscles are like rubber bands, when they are warm they stretch far and are pliable. When rubber bands are cold, you go to contract or pull the rubber band quickly, it snaps in half quite easily.

Warm up and stretch a bit, that's what I'd advise. I'd never work a cold muscle nor would I ever stretch cold either.

~SC~

great analogy.

imo, light/moderate stretch before you lift. loosens ya up and gets blood flowing

then stretching during lifting and after lifting (esp after because blood and nutrients will reach muscles)

i do a little yoga everyday in the morning. get great stretches and lifts since ive been doing it.

Not stretching is a bad idea. Matter of fact like the dude said above that pre-training stretching will allow for more muscle fiber activation. On top of it all stretching will help prevent injury, and with injury you can't lift.

i'm not talking about lifting heavy cold... like i said i do about 3-5 warmup sets before i do a heavy set... i get the blood flowing to the muscles... so they arent being lifted "cold," just not stretched out...

bottom line is that i need to stretch because i'm becoming quite inflexible... my solution is to stretch before bedtime... we'll see how it works...

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not big by any means but I know how important it is to stretch those muscles u plan on targeting. It helps you to maximise your lifting ability, and most importantly it helps avoid injury.

Also I stretch between exersizes as well and quickly occasionaly between sets. I find it helps me a lot

A stretched muscle is a BIGGER one!

~SC~

Thread Information