DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member

Which Tricep Exercises ideal for mass after Chest workout using swoles protocol?

looking for advice on which tricep Exercises to do after a Chest workout....

I do chest/tri back/bi split...

I am going to start using Swoles protocol of torching the tris after chest, probably 6 sets or so, looking for 2-3 good Exercises for mass ....can you guys list yours or give advice on this...thanks!

for mass, I'd do close grips, skull crushers, and french presses

colossus1 is offline Member
    hands down close grip bench presses, weighted dips are next.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I like dips and close grip benches the best.

I also believe in doing either an arms day or a push/pull, but swole and i train a lot differently.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colossus1
    hands down close grip bench presses, weighted dips are next.
    yup

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I "prescribe" close grip bench presses with skullcrushers done on a slightly declined bench for maximum stretching!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I "prescribe" close grip bench presses with skullcrushers done on a slightly declined bench for maximum stretching!

~SC~
    So are you saying you do like 10 reps of crushers, then 10 reps of presses for one set?

Nah, no super-sets. (Although you could work that type of thing in from time to time for shock value, sure!)

~SC~

Nah, no super-sets. (Although you could work that type of thing in from time to time for shock value, sure!)

~SC~
    Shock describes it exactly. I've been doing it like that lately and it gives you a heck of a burn.
    Last edited by YounG_SluG11; 03-14-2005 at 08:03 AM.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Weighted dips first then 21's (7 skull crushers + 7 pull overs + 7 close grips presses with an eazy curl bar and no rests)

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I like close grip bench and double overhead DB extensions, both very heavy.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    nosebreakers(skullcrushers but let the bar down to the nose instead), jm press and tatepress are my favorites. The jm press is hard on the wrists though.

IMO triceps doesnt need to be worked in full rom to grow like a muther****er so rack lockouts are awsome to.

nsa
    Locking out places unneeded stress on the primary joints involved in the motion and takes stress off the muscle, unless your squeezing during lockout which still places stress on the joints but it works the muscle as well. Watch the pro's lift, not many actually lockout, especially the ones doing ridiculous weight. If they did lockout they would have major problems, i.e. ron coleman.

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    Hey guys, I'm not sure of the exact names of the 3 different heads of the tri, but I am looking for an exercise that really isolates the one that tapers off real thin towards the elbow on the outside? And also an exercise to work the most rear head? Suggestions? I am really trying to bring those out a bit more

nsa
    I feel overhead extensions mostly in the medial most head(inside/rear head.) and for the lateral head(the one that tapers) i can hit it with close grip bench but rope pushdowns really isolate it, but these aren't IMO a major mass exercise for triceps.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    bro's i am confused with swoles protocol, he says do 5-6 sets of some bicep/tricep exercise, but is this only one exercise or 2? if only one how would he hit all heads of each?

It's two exercises, CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESSES and SLIGHT DECLINE BENCH SKULLCRUSHERS.

Usually 3 very hard/intense/muscle shredding sets each.

The bye bye...........grow time.

~SC~

nsa
    IMO intensity is key when doing low volume for bis/tris.

thanx bro, i am going to do those 2 for tris and hammers and barbells for bi's. When do you suggest to start changing the exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    IMO intensity is key when doing low volume for bis/tris.
    Very!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    thanx bro, i am going to do those 2 for tris and hammers and barbells for bi's. When do you suggest to start changing the exercises?

Never.

Well, u can do "lighter days" and use preacher curls, alternate d-bell curls, concentration curls, etc., but for pure mass builders you won't find anything superior.

~SC~

Never.

Well, u can do "lighter days" and use preacher curls, alternate d-bell curls, concentration curls, etc., but for pure mass builders you won't find anything superior.

~SC~

thats what i like to hear. I will now be hitting everymuscle 2ce in 10 days without overtraining.. i am pumped

how often would you have a light day?(i am going for as much mass possible)

Once a month, or 1 in 4 workouts.

~SC~

DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member
    thanks for all the input....i actually just did my back/bi workout and did 3 sets of straight bar curls, and 3 sets of DB hammers standing up, i went INSANE, as of course i had a spotter and completely ripped my bi's apart....great form, heavy weight, no more than 6-7 reps with a spot on the last 2-3 reps atleast....slow release....GREAT WORKOUT, swolles protocol is awesome...also did the same thing with chest/tri, with skull crushers and close grip bench....this chest/tri back/bi split using swoles method is second to none....thanks again

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    what he said..

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    skull crushers, and french presses are they the same thing?

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G

That's what I was thinking?!

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Exactly what i have been doing for about 3 weeks now and i have put on noticeable amounts of size and moved up about 20lbs on the skull crushers. I also superset close grip bench with the ez bar right after the skull crusher sometimes. its not much weight but it does burn nicely. i would say majority of the mass comes from close grip bench.

Quick question, what do you guys do with heavy weight on close grip to support your wrists. only thing i can do is kind of push the bar out and not straight up. I'm doing 205lbs on close grip.

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    French press with dumbells, palms facing each other. Helps keep elbows tucked in. They make your arms like jello too.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i thought french presses were performed with a cambered bar seated upright, and extending the triceps from behind your head to completely above it. well whatever that's called it blows my tri's up more than any other movement (but gives crappy shape because it isolates the large head and doesn't really hit the medial).

I guess there are several different french press as there is bench press. the One i refer to as Db french press is on your back palms facing each other. the one you refer to could be called seated 90 degree french press. all use the same motion i would say.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    that one you said is really killer. it's definitely not an easy one to do- i have some form prob's with it. i should have a buddy hold my elbows when i do it i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    that one you said is really killer. it's definitely not an easy one to do- i have some form prob's with it. i should have a buddy hold my elbows when i do it i guess.
    the thing i noticed about it is you have to go lighter than you would like. I can do 100lb skull krushers with perfect form. but the french i can only do with 35's max. try to lighten the weight and control it and work your way up. i started with 15's and now i am still only at 35's.

kalisko is offline New Member
    should you do close grip bench first or skull crushers

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    Locking out places unneeded stress on the primary joints involved in the motion and takes stress off the muscle, unless your squeezing during lockout which still places stress on the joints but it works the muscle as well. Watch the pro's lift, not many actually lockout, especially the ones doing ridiculous weight. If they did lockout they would have major problems, i.e. ron coleman.
    Funny that it doesnt seem to bother the elite powerlifters that much and btw take a look on those triceps and they handle bigger weights then coleman....

It might be more stress on the joints, but for me if I dont lockout I dont grow as good not to mention I sacrifice bench gains. its one of those things I guess either your joints can handle it or not(like behind the neck presses ect). I for sure will always lockout everything because I am a firm belive that the triceps grows better while doing so. Never had a problem from lockouts so far either.

also give incline nosebreakers a try. Shorter range of motion but allows heavier poundages. They give me a awsome pump

I think bodybuilders in general are WAY to obsessed with range of motion. Its not that important. Everyone should do a bit of powerlifting so they get different perspective. Check into how westside does triceps work.

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING beats chained skullcrushers. No exercise in the world blasts the triceps like that. Its a bit rough on the elbows but hell you can feel it in every little fiber all the way through out the entire triceps. Chain work in general in all chest and triceps exercises(when possible) realy works the triceps in totaly new ways.

Thread Information