Squatman51 is offline Senior Member

Cardio in the morning

When i wake up in the morning to do cardio should you do it on an empty stomach or take a shake right before.

I usally have a shake right when i wake up but would this just defeat the purpose of doing cardio in the morning to burn fat?

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Taking a shake before hand is counter-productive.... you'll use that as energy before tapping into your stored fat...

A.M. Empty stomach cardio is the way to go....

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=145057

Also, I prefer a pro/carb meal after cardio..... I ingest it about 45 mins afterwards.... (oats & egg-whites)...

If you prefer pro/fat, wait 15-20 mins or so...
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 03-15-2005 at 06:15 PM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Well said Michael!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Well said Michael!

~SC~
    All of you LOVE to rub this sh!t in don't ya....

One week I will be the winner, and get to pick the avatars, and pay they shall!!

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    if you are worried about losing muscle from doing cardio on an empty stomach, take 5 grams of glutamine before.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Taking a shake before hand is counter-productive.... you'll use that as energy before tapping into your stored fat...

A.M. Empty stomach cardio is the way to go....

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sho...d.php?t=145057

Also, I prefer a pro/carb meal after cardio..... I ingest it about 45 mins afterwards.... (oats & egg-whites)...

If you prefer pro/fat, wait 15-20 mins or so...
    yeah what he said
    ~HOP

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the info

I have another question though?
    I read alot where it says that when you wake up your body is in a catabolic phase and you want to eat as soon as possible so your body does not use your muscle for energy. Now how would cardio in the morning tap into your fat supply but not your muscle? There is two different points of view im confused on which to do. Can someone help me out please.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    thanks for the info

I have another question though?
    I read alot where it says that when you wake up your body is in a catabolic phase and you want to eat as soon as possible so your body does not use your muscle for energy. Now how would cardio in the morning tap into your fat supply but not your muscle? There is two different points of view im confused on which to do. Can someone help me out please.
    From the article I posted in my first reply:

"A common concern about doing cardio in the fasted state, especially if it’s done with high intensity, is the possibility of losing muscle. After an overnight fast, glycogen, blood glucose and insulin are all low. As we’ve already concluded, this is an optimum environment for burning fat. Unfortunately, it may also be an optimum environment for burning muscle because carbohydrate fuel sources are low and levels of the catabolic stress hormone cortisol are high. It sounds like morning cardio might be a double-edged sword, but there are ways to avert muscle loss.

All aerobic exercise will have some effect on building muscle, but as long as you don’t overdo it, you shouldn’t worry about losing muscle. It's a fact that muscle proteins are broken down and used for energy during aerobic exercise. But you are constantly breaking down and re-building muscle tissue anyway. This process is called "protein turnover" and it’s a daily fact of life. Your goal is to tip the scales slightly in favor of increasing the anabolic side and reducing the catabolic side just enough so you stay anabolic and you gain or at least maintain muscle.

How do you build up more muscle than you break down? First, avoid excessive cardio. Aceto suggests limiting your cardio on an empty stomach to 30 minutes, and then it would be "highly unlikely that amino acids will be burned as fuel." He also mentions that "a strong cup of coffee should facilitate a shifting to burn more fat and less glycogen. If you can spare glycogen, you’ll ultimately spare protein too." You might also want to consider experimenting with the thermogenic ephedrine-caffeine-aspirin stack (or it’s herbal equivalent).

Second, give your body the proper nutritional support. Losing muscle probably has more to do with inadequate nutrition than with excessive aerobics. Provide yourself with the proper nutritional support for the rest of the day, including adequate meal frequency, protein, carbohydrates and total calories, and it’s not as likely that there will be a net loss of muscle tissue over each 24-hour period."

Basically, if you diet is superior, and you're ingesting the proper nutrition, the chance of losing muscle from AM Cardio is little. Just keep your cardio duration under an hour, and between 65-75%HR and you'll be fine IMO....
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 03-16-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarification.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, its true you are catabolic at morning. You need to keep cardio within the THR of 60-70% then make sure you eat shortly after to ward off any more catabolic conditions. Eating good thru out the remainder of the day is important too. I also believe that a water/whey isolate protein only drink such as iso-pure is okay. Glutamine and phosphatidylerine also helps reducing cortisol circulation.

Thread Information