diesel578 is offline Junior Member

low carb + low cal = low energy

I am off cycle but on a low cal/low carb cutting diet. But at the gym i feel tired and weak. i feel like i can not complete full workout. I am also on an ECY stack and drink plenty of water. What do you guys do to overcome this problem? or what can i do?

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    How many kcals are you eating?

Under 2000 and about 85-95g of carbs

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    are you lifting or doing cardio???

lifting weights uses primarily glucose coming from glycogen stores in your liver and muscle cells... in fact you use almost all glucose and a little creatine phosphate... so if you are eating low carbs, you wont have energy to burn during a lifting session, when your glycogen stores run out, you will begin to break down muscle protein in order to turn certain amino acids to glucose for energy... this will not yeild much power in lifting, but your body will use these new glucose molecules as energy for your brain, heart, and most of your involuntary muscles as well as your nervous system...

low carb = no lifting energy...

if you are doing cardio, how fast are you doing it??? the faster and harder you go, the more glucose you will use as a proportion to calories burned... i would reco. walking for about an hour a day in the morning... you will burn almost all fat as a proportion to calories burned in this exercise...

i lift first than cardio.. i do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    theres the problem...

do cardio in the morning (VERY SLOW PACED!!!!!) and then lift at nite...

lifting on an empty stomach is close to pointless, especially on a restricted carb diet...

like i said, you will use mostly glucose to contract your muscles through weight training, and if you are eating low carb you have low glycogen stores already, and as you are sleeping your heart, brain, nervous system, and many other functions in your body can ONLY use glucose for energy, so you are further depleating your glycogen stores... what happens is that you are lifting on an empty tank... the fuel is glucose and you hardly have any left...

if all you can do is lift in the morning, eat some natural oatmeal with an orange or apple or any serving of fruit, and get 20-30 g whey protein before you workout...

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by EatRite
    are you lifting or doing cardio???

lifting weights uses primarily glucose coming from glycogen stores in your liver and muscle cells... in fact you use almost all glucose and a little creatine phosphate... so if you are eating low carbs, you wont have energy to burn during a lifting session, when your glycogen stores run out, you will begin to break down muscle protein in order to turn certain amino acids to glucose for energy... this will not yeild much power in lifting, but your body will use these new glucose molecules as energy for your brain, heart, and most of your involuntary muscles as well as your nervous system...

low carb = no lifting energy...

if you are doing cardio, how fast are you doing it??? the faster and harder you go, the more glucose you will use as a proportion to calories burned... i would reco. walking for about an hour a day in the morning... you will burn almost all fat as a proportion to calories burned in this exercise...
    great post eatrite

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    1. Use a formula to estimate your energy needs (calories).
    2. Arrive at percentages for each macronutrient (pro, carbs, fat).
    3. Divide those calories by calories per gram to arrive at how many grams of each macro you need.
    4. Space that out over 5-6 meals a day.
    5. Do you have PWO nutrition?
    6. Compose a diet w/ all food and macro's and post in diet forum.

Thread Information