josh8416 is offline Associate Member

Is wider Better?

i was at the gym today and i was working in with a guy, doing barbell curls. well i usually do them about shoulder width apart and he was telling me that if i move my hands father apart, that it will make them wider/bigger. is this true?? he was doing in, and his arms are pretty big. thats why i was wondering, cause i want thickness...What does everything think?

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    if you want to widen your bi's do some incline dumbell curls (50 degree incline) and keep your elbows by your side and the dumbells at about a 30 to 40 degree angle with your legs... so yes, the wider your hands are the wider your bis will grow... the closer, the more they will peak...

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i had always been led to beleive that wide grip works your inner head, close grip works your outer head, and hammers work your brachialis (sp?)- the thing between your bi's and tri's.

i think that's pretty much what EatRite said just stated differently. i really think you need to curl with all three grips- it's the difference between scott steiner's hideous medical-experiments-gone-bad-aka-his-"pythons" and ronnie colemans perfect, swollen guns.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos' Nephew
    i had always been led to beleive that wide grip works your inner head, close grip works your outer head, and hammers work your brachialis (sp?)- the thing between your bi's and tri's.

i think that's pretty much what EatRite said just stated differently. i really think you need to curl with all three grips- it's the difference between scott steiner's hideous medical-experiments-gone-bad-aka-his-"pythons" and ronnie colemans perfect, swollen guns.

thats exactly what i was trying to say actually...

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Want wider? Work your brachalias, muscle under the bicep. Will fatten those bad boys up. Reverse curls, hammer curls, anything to make them grow.

ya my normal bicept routine is...

barbell curls-warm up, then 10,8,6 (increasing weight each time)
    Hammer curls(standing) 10,8,6
    Reverse curls 10,8,6

then i just stretch at the end to get a burn.

from the side my arms look kind of big, but from the front they are skinny looking so should i stick to wide grip barbell curls?? or should i just stay parallel with shoulders?

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i think it's best to change grip each set.

how tall are you and how much do you weigh (and how strong are you)?

if you're pretty big and you need added thickness you might want to concentrate more on wider grip curls, but if you are more normal-sized remember that thickness is something that comes with muscle maturity (especially if you're taller). if you haven't worked out nonstop for a couple of years you shouldn't normally expect to have really swole, thick muscles like a pro bodybuilder.

of course gear can affect this too. i'm 4 weeks into a 6 week cycle right now and my last four shots i'm going to spot inject into my bi's. i'll let you know how well it worked. spot injection is supposed to really help your **** grow where you need it most. my bi's are too small for my tri's, so i'm pretty excited to try it.

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    The brachalias is often overlooked by people who want big biceps but can anyone give a good list of exersizes to target the brachalias

[QUOTE=John Stamos' Nephew]i think it's best to change grip each set.

how tall are you and how much do you weigh (and how strong are you)?

Hey im barely 5'9 and i havent weighed myself but its around 160. ive have been working out off and on for almost 2 years, but just seriously for the past 6-7 months. i know it takes time, which is fine to gain muscle, but i just wanted to see which would be better for me to get my Bi's bigger. like i said before from the side my arms look good, but from the front they are skinny looking. i usually do the bar, with 1 ten and 1 5 on each side for bb curls, but thats using the wider grip and going slow, 3 second negs and postives...

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    heavy hammers jason, that will also get those forarms big as fvck to... i told u biatch to start going to the gym with me lol pease

Have you tried Swole's routine? It will f***in kill you!

Today's "OBVIOUS" training reminder!!

ya i did trys swoles routine, just now. i do arms 2 times a week. i just do 1 heavy set right after my back workout, usually bb curls, going slow and heavy 3 set of 8. and then i hit them again on my arms day. but on that day i do hammers and reverse as well. i started lowering the weight and going really slow to get the burn! i just needed to know about what width my hands should be when doing the bb curls??? i guess ill go wide on arm day and even with shoulders on back day..

make sure you go wide enough so that your hands aren't being forced to be flat (they are naturally tilted about 15-20 degrees when holding your arm at a 90 degree angle with your elbow by ur hip and your hand out in front of you... if you are in too close you will f... up your forarm pretty bad because of the strain put on it due to the force of the weight on your hands... i had to take a month off because of this... i do curls with a cambered bar insted of a barbell so that my hands can be in their natural position...

ya i usually go even with my shoulders, or a little over, but now im starting to go wider, i think 1 time out of the week ill go wide barbell, then the other day i do bi's ill do even with shoulders, that way i do both..thanks for all the help

I used to do wide grip barbell curls, and close grip barbell curls as my routine (hitting both heads seemed sufficient) and got no results for it. Im not if it was Swole or not who told me to start incline curls and heavy barbell curls shoulder width, and since doing that my biceps are dead the next day and i see great progress...

ya mine are always sore, because i always torch them. i usually do only 3 exercises but the reverse is mainly forearms, so basically i do 6 sets that burn the next day. i was just seeing if going wider had any advantage..

Thread Information