Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    diesel578 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    148

    decline bench in chest workout?

    have read mixed views on decline bench? who here does and who doesnt and why?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    2,068
    I do it and it really brings up the lower part of my chest. They say you should hit chest from every direction.

  3. #3
    Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,917
    Flat and Incline for mass.......

  4. #4
    XxElitexX's Avatar
    XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,229
    dont throw it in my routine that much...my lower chest is fine so i stick to the flat and incline, but i throw decline in there for a shocker every once in awhile

  5. #5
    lucabratzi's Avatar
    lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    ny/florida
    Posts
    4,111
    i do decline. i do bench and dumbell flyes. it make your chest look alot bigger, cause the lower part widens and thickens out.

  6. #6
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    For myself I get more leverage and the plane of travel is shorter= more weight, so yes I do them and in fact like them.

  7. #7
    Chemical King's Avatar
    Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Here there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,110
    I do flat, and incline and only do decline every month or so. I find I cant lift as much on the incline as what i can on the flat

  8. #8
    calimuscl's Avatar
    calimuscl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10
    my upper chest is lagging behind my lower, so I do all incline or flat chest exercises

  9. #9
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    I don't do them because heavy weighted dips are so much better for me. Nothing like the feeling of a 120 lb dumbell strapped between your legs. Except maybe a bigger one i guess.

  10. #10
    Prime's Avatar
    Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tropical England
    Posts
    3,531
    i dont have acess to a decline bench so like dude man i do dips with plates (altho im not quite at 120lbs yet). Gimme like 4 months and i will be tho

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    991
    I stopped doing decline for chest and my bottom started lagging. Had to get back under it and get to work. I'm fine now thank god

  12. #12
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    i told my work out partner .. "If i ever see you doing decline.. ima shoot you." as we were walking over to do weight dips

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Noo Yawk
    Posts
    625
    From what I've heard, decline is ineffective and you're better off sticking with flat and incline...If you stick to flat and incline the chest will grow in all areas, and if the bottom of your chest is "flabby" then change your diet because decline is not going to make it any more defined...

  14. #14
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    From what I've heard, decline is ineffective and you're better off sticking with flat and incline...If you stick to flat and incline the chest will grow in all areas, and if the bottom of your chest is "flabby" then change your diet because decline is not going to make it any more defined...
    well put...

  15. #15
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Scientifically, Decline is most effective~

  16. #16
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    at sucking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Scientifically, Decline is most effective~

  17. #17
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    I would encourage some research~

  18. #18
    Dude-Man's Avatar
    Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nowhere, USA
    Posts
    5,978
    My research consists of real life evidence. Do any of the pro bodybuilders i know decline bench? no. Do any of the nationally qualified amateurs? no.

    If it was as "effective" as you say, then more people would do it, plain and simple. Not only that, but decline, in my personal experience, was a waste of time. Since i tossed it in favor of weighted dips, my bench numbers have gone up significantly, and the appearance of my chest has seen similar increases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    I would encourage some research~
    Last edited by Dude-Man; 03-22-2005 at 12:06 PM.

  19. #19
    shango88's Avatar
    shango88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    160
    I prefer dips.

  20. #20
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    My research consists of real life evidence. Do any of the pro bodybuilders i know decline bench? no. Do any of the nationally qualified amateurs? no.

    If it was as "effective" as you say, then more people would do it, plain and simple. Not only that, but decline, in my personal experience, was a waste of time. Since i tossed it in favor of weighted dips, my bench numbers have gone up significantly, and the appearance of my chest has seen similar increases.
    I didn't say it was "most effective." Science says that through Electromyorgraphical analysis. There is a big difference between (science)theory and application as you stated. It's a personal decision based on performance whether or not to incorporate them.

  21. #21
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    at sucking.
    omg that is so funny not only was it a perfect Ripost.. but its also 145% true!

  22. #22
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Scientifically, Decline is most effective~
    wtf u said u didnt say "most effective" but right here u did ><

  23. #23
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Flat Bench and Dips are proven to provide the greatest stimuli on the chest.

  24. #24
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Scientifically, yes!
    Personally, no!

  25. #25
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    Flat Bench and Dips are proven to provide the greatest stimuli on the chest.
    Source?

  26. #26
    BigJames's Avatar
    BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,311
    I think HyperT is refering to the idea that when doing flat and incline bench your shoulders come into play more than when you do decline bench...that is the only reason I would see an Electromyorgraphical analysis showing that decline is more effective...because it isolates the pec more. Not sure though. Personnally, I do them maybe once a month for change...I do weighted dips every week. I like em.

  27. #27
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Source?
    i dont use sources they only create racial tension and controversy~!

  28. #28
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    Granted when you do flat u incorporate alot more shoulder but the range of motion is greatly increased which is what creates the most stimuli
    This is similar to dips.

  29. #29
    co2boi's Avatar
    co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,689
    I do dumbbell decline presses and flies, after doing barbell flat and incline. I can definitely feel a difference at the end of the workout. I think their efficacy depends a lot on form. Until you get the feel for declines, try them on a smith machine to ensure proper bar placement and range of motion...JIMO

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •