Johnnytuna is offline New Member

My Bench press routine....Please Critque.

I currently Bench twice a week. 4 Pyramid sets.
    1st set 10 reps
    2nd set 8 reps
    3rd set 6 reps
    last set 4 reps
    I add 10 pounds each set. The last being my current max of 225. I ve been doing this routine now for a while, therefore maxing out each time. Each week my max gets higher. Just seeing what you guys think. I know from reading the forums that there is alot of experienced weightlifters on this site. Im sure I'll get some good advice. Thanks......

Rob
    Rob is offline Canadian Legend
    whatever works for you

keep with it.

everyone reacts differently

sounds good, as long as your going to failure on every set

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    sounds good, as long as your going to failure on every set
    Yes I am going for failure each time. Im not sure if thats the correct technique. I was thinking of switching it up to high rep sets once in a while.

houseofpain is offline Banned
    bro if it is working and you are happy than i would stick with it. what are your goals in the lifting game? powerlifting/bodybuilding/just want to look good? my strength gains always respond to lower reps higer weights. sometimes i do 3 sets of 3 or something like that. i am always changing things up to see how i react. my raw bench has went up from 340 or so about a year ago to about 485 this spring before i started dieting for my show and stopped training heavy. anyways do whats best for you, you know your body and how it reacts so use that to your advantage.
    ~HOP

Quote Originally Posted by houseofpain
    bro if it is working and you are happy than i would stick with it. what are your goals in the lifting game? powerlifting/bodybuilding/just want to look good? my strength gains always respond to lower reps higer weights. sometimes i do 3 sets of 3 or something like that. i am always changing things up to see how i react. my raw bench has went up from 340 or so about a year ago to about 485 this spring before i started dieting for my show and stopped training heavy. anyways do whats best for you, you know your body and how it reacts so use that to your advantage.
    ~HOP
    My goal in the lifting game is honestly, I just wanna look good. Its been a hobby of mine for years now. I would say that size rather than strength is more important to me but I know It goes along with it.

HOP I got a question for you... What is your opinion of doing Deadlifts? Iv'e never added them to my lifting routines. I here there a good mass builder for your traps, upper and lower back. It sounds like they would benifit your Benching. Thanks.......

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I do the same style routine except i go for my 1-2 rep max everytime i lift and i do it last. i do ..

185x15
    225x10
    275x6-8
    315x3-4
    335 I havent tried yet but i should be able to get it 1-2 times.

with you doing 195x10 your max could be somewhere around 245-255. I would try to eliminate 1 of those sets you have in there that only adds 10 lbs and do your 4th set as a max. I moved my bench from 205x4 to 315x4 in 12 weeks doing it this way.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I never understood these routines of starting with high reps and finishing low.......

Wasted sets IMO.

If you do 200X10 on your first set and 225x8 on your second........I truly believe you could have gotten more than 10 reps on the first set..

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    i switch up. i do what was stated from the person who started the thread and i will go from the heaviest down to the lightest.. start heavy work till failure and keep dropping weights till around half your max till failure.. i gained a good 80lbs to my bench over a few months doing this.. high protien helps a lot too

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    I never understood these routines of starting with high reps and finishing low.......

Wasted sets IMO.

If you do 200X10 on your first set and 225x8 on your second........I truly believe you could have gotten more than 10 reps on the first set..
    Pyramid is what worked best for me. I doubt any routine that works for someone could be a waste. I tried drop sets but I would venture to say starting out with 315 your very 1st set is not very good for you. I don the 1st set only as warmup and dont even really count the # of reps. I dont go to exhuastion though just till i feel streched and warm.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Whatever works for you....Just my .02

Thread Information