ct_brad is offline New Member

Newbie needs advice on workout

I have just recently joined a gym, have been lifting for about a month now. I am on a low-carb diet, I do about an hour of cardio each morning on an empty stomach. I am trying to lose about 30 more pounds and tone up. I am not trying to bulk up, just lose weight and cut up. My questions are how many different exercises should I do per body part, and how many reps per set.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    there is no answer to that question but i would say no more than 2-3 exercises small body parts like bis and tris, and somewhere between 3-5 for the large body parts. rep range could be 8-12 or around those numbers. but like i said there is no set answer for this question as i don't know what will work better for you

ct_brad is offline New Member
    ok thanks, so you think 8-12 would be good, because I have heard that to cut up I could go up to 15 reps

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct_brad
    ok thanks, so you think 8-12 would be good, because I have heard that to cut up I could go up to 15 reps
    depends on each person.. My gym owner goes up to 20 reps when he is cutting and it works great for him.. remember you don't want to drop the weight your lifting drasticly, keep it reasonably heavy even for higher reps

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    yea make sure even if your doing high reps that you are also using a weight that hits failure on your last rep

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I would start you out on machines only for about 3 months. Higher rep ranges/ lower,moderate weight. You are not condition to do heavy and if you do your other aux muscle come into play. I am not a big fan of a low carb diet all day long. I think it is more important to watch the TYPES of carbs and the TIMING of carbs. Carbs are required evan for some fat loss mechanisms. The most important thing for you is not the rep/set stuff but how you do it and consistantly keeping at it. Begin to listen to your body because it will talk but only after you know how to listen. Good luck

Thread Information