HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

shoulder presses for width...?

if you look at the mechanics or the shoulder muscles and the way the fibers run and actually flex, when you're doing shoulder presses the load is prety much taken by the anterior delt. I know that the medial head may act as a support group but by how much during pressing? enough to spark growth in that area? in my opinion the only way to properly add width to the medial head is with heavy laterals, and upright rows ...??? but someone correct me if im wrong.

Paullusion is offline Associate Member
    I get better results from side laterals aswell. I'm not big on front presses; they seem to put alot of stress on my joints.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    ive read that upright rows is better then presses for muscle involvement but i would say depends on person, some people can just do shoulder press and hardly anything else and develope nice shoulders while others need to try different methods...or should i say protocols....try different things and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by TheDfromGC
    ive read that upright rows is better then presses for muscle involvement but i would say depends on person, some people can just do shoulder press and hardly anything else and develope nice shoulders while others need to try different methods...or should i say protocols....try different things and see what happens

do you mean upright rows are better for medial delt involvement???

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    IMO they are... supersetting upright rows with lateral raises is killer.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    from what ive read/heard they do involve the medial and rear delt more but as i said everyone is different, try them both and see what gets u better results

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually, when performing db presses on a 90deg bench and raising in a arch not quite touching the db ends no lockout,hands pronated(keeping stress on shoulders) works the medial delt and not the anterior as the primary muscle. Traps are also worked. I am sure some will disagree with my statement. Yes, the front delt is worked but not the primary. Begin lowering the bench angle starts to target the front delts a bit more and around 45-70deg really starts to hit it.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 03-25-2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    IMO they are... supersetting upright rows with lateral raises is killer.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Actually, when performing db presses on a 90deg bench and raising in a arch not quite touching the db ends no lockout,hands pronated(keeping stress on shoulders) works the medial delt and not the anterior as the primary muscle. Traps are also worked. I am sure some will disagree with my statement. Yes, the front delt is worked but not the primary. Begin lowering the bench angle starts to target the front delts a bit more and around 45-70deg really starts to hit it.
    "works the medial delt and not the anterior as the primary muscle."

this makes no sense...just one look at anatomy of the human body, and you'll see y it doesn't!

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    for medial i like to do seated military with dumbells but bring really pinch my lat's together and then i feel it hella mo' in the middle, knowhati'msayin'?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    "works the medial delt and not the anterior as the primary muscle."

this makes no sense...just one look at anatomy of the human body, and you'll see y it doesn't!
    I told you some would disagree. You are incorrect. It is true both front and side delts get worked during the overdead db shoulder press but the side head is the strongest deltoid muscle of all three. You cannot lift to heavy relying on the front delts. The range of motion is greater in the db shoulder press with elbows flared out. Think of when you perform a lateral side raise bringing your arm up. Picture the movement of the db press. Do you see some similarites? You should. When your shoulder is adducted during the press(db brought up overhead) the side delt contracts and lengthens on the down negative but the front delt only stretches. If you wish to specifically target the front delt then front raises are your best option. Just as side lateral raises are for the medial side delts. But for overall mass yes, the press. And remember, the front delt gets worked with many chest exercises because the front delt is tied to the pecs and work in harmony. But to answer your original question" db shoulder presses for width?" I just told you , side delts give width, not front, so YES shoulder presses done correctly.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 03-26-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: adding,spell

Thread Information