HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

rep and set schemes for growth???

would something like 15,10,6,2 promote more muscle growth because it's hitting basically every rep range or would something like 3 sets of 5 reps promote more growth becasue of the heavy load recruting more fibers and also performing 3 sets in that range rather than one???

most people agree that heavy weight, low reps is the way to go for mass

Aggression is offline Member
    I like 10,8,6 increasing weight each set.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    I like 10,8,6 increasing weight each set.
    i use the pyramid method also. if i dont get 10 on the 1st set cause i grabbed to heavy a weight i still go up even if my last set is only 2 or 4. I have seen the most gains this way. I have tried several methods also. everyone is different though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa Pump
    most people agree that heavy weight, low reps is the way to go for mass

so you agree with the 3 sets of 5 reps??? what about 3x3???

I personally like 10, 8, 6, 4...and just make sure to be strict and fail on every set.

jordanfanatic23 is offline BANNED SCAMMING TRAITOR AKA LIL VITO AKA **TR LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM HIM.
    some people like swolecat will say to do supersets once in a while to give your muscles a good shock

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanfanatic23
    some people like swolecat will say to do supersets once in a while to give your muscles a good shock
    I agree. I also agree on the 2-3 sets of 4 exercises for large muscle groups and 2-3 sets of 2-3 exercises for smaller groups(ie arms). Supersets are great to use to shock now and then, but not every week.

jordanfanatic23 is offline BANNED SCAMMING TRAITOR AKA LIL VITO AKA **TR LIVES 5 MINUTES FROM HIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juddman
    I agree. I also agree on the 2-3 sets of 4 exercises for large muscle groups and 2-3 sets of 2-3 exercises for smaller groups(ie arms). Supersets are great to use to shock now and then, but not every week.
    im the same way bro

so basically the pyramid is the most advanced way (in general) to spark muscle growth???

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    so basically the pyramid is the most advanced way (in general) to spark muscle growth???
    Everybody is different, but most would agree yes. Give it a shot for a few months and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Juddman
    Everybody is different, but most would agree yes. Give it a shot for a few months and see what you think.

i think ill do something like this 15,10,6,2 that way i hit all the rep ranges without sacrificing strength in the ones to follow...

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby7117
    i think ill do something like this 15,10,6,2 that way i hit all the rep ranges without sacrificing strength in the ones to follow...
    i'm not sure how you plan to hit those #'s exactly. I dont even pay attention to the # of reps really when i pyramid. I just make sure warm up is around 15-20 and light. after that i stack the weight on and do as many as i can and i keep adding and do another set.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    I like 12,10,8,6 for a higher rep pyramid set and 10,8,6,4 for a lower rep pyramid set.

REMEMBER - muscles adapt very fast so the key os to change it up every once and a while. I think the rep ranges you want to hit depend on your goals. I personnally have found the best results for me at both the ones mentioned above. I would not consider a 15 rep set a working set unless I was doing very high rep sets due to injury or something. 15 is a warm up set, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    i'm not sure how you plan to hit those #'s exactly. I dont even pay attention to the # of reps really when i pyramid. I just make sure warm up is around 15-20 and light. after that i stack the weight on and do as many as i can and i keep adding and do another set.
    because of the 4 rep difference is about 20lbs difference for me from set to set with compound exercises and about a 10lbs difference for small bodyparts (arms) and isolation exercises. i tried it out today and i loved it, what im going to do is if i can successfully complete each set at the specific number of reps im going for, then i will bump the weight up and start from stratch and work up to the desired number of reps with the new weight! another reason y i like this rep scheme so much is because i didnt feel tired or unable to perform to my fullest in the next range, i think this has to do with different muscle fibers being stressed for each set...
    Last edited by crosby7117; 03-23-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information