NewbieDarren is offline New Member

Newbie Workout Help me out guys

I have been looking at these forums, and I see a lot of different perspectives on lifting, so i just want to give you guys my workout schedule and see what you think. I'm 5'11 160 and I really want to put on mass for my junior year. Here is my schedule just upper body right now... until i can get it straightened out and move to lower also.

Monday/Thursday (Chest/Bicep)
    Pyramid Bench -- 5*5 pyramid 5,3,1,3,5
    Bar Curls -- 3*10
    Dumbell Bench -- 3*10
    Dumbell Curls -- 3*10
    Pec Dec -- 3*10
    Concentration -- 3*10

Tuesday/Friday (Shoulders/???)
    Upright Rows -- 2*10
    Incline Dumbell Press -- 3*10
    Flies -- 3*10

Wedensday/Saturday (Back/Tri's)
    Lat Pulls -- 3*10
    Skull Crushers -- 3*8
    Yates Rows -- 3*10
    Pushdowns -- 3*10
    Shrugs -- 3*10
    Overhead Ext. -- 3*10

Sunday (off)

Well I guess just pick it apart now too many reps too little? Too many lifts on one muscle in a day might be a waste of time? I'm gonna start taking protein and everything, I want to bulk up and make varsity next year its a big deal to me so I would appreciate the help on my upper body workout. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieDarren

Monday/Thursday (Chest/Bicep)
    Pyramid Bench -- 5*5 pyramid 5,3,1,3,5
    Bar Curls -- 3*10
    Dumbell Bench -- 3*10
    Dumbell Curls -- 3*10
    Pec Dec -- 3*10
    Concentration -- 3*10
    Not bad, but no need to do 2 flat presses, sub one of them with incline dumbells or bar

Tuesday/Friday (Shoulders/???)
    Upright Rows -- 2*10
    Incline Dumbell Press -- 3*10
    Flies -- 3*10
    do legs with shoulders. Do military press (sitting staight up), incline is for upper chest. Also, flies are for chest. Do military press, upright rows, lateral raises, front raises, shrugs, etc...

Wedensday/Saturday (Back/Tri's)
    Lat Pulls -- 3*10
    Skull Crushers -- 3*8
    Yates Rows -- 3*10
    Pushdowns -- 3*10
    Shrugs -- 3*10
    Overhead Ext. -- 3*10
    Looks OK, I personally like shrugs for shoulder day, Id sub them for pullups, or dumbell rows, or even a reverse fly

Sunday (off)

Overall, Id also switch your shoulder/leg day with your back/tri day because otherwise your training tris on wednesday and then benching the very next day. Also, I noticed you have alot of 3*10 type stuff, thats ok as long as you fail on every set, just don't stop at 10 if you could do more. Good luck, let us know how your progress goes.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Your upper body will grow so much more if you include leg work such as squats and leg press.

If you want to get big, you need to focus on core movements (squat, deadlift, bench, military press, rows) and do 4 or 5 sets of these at the beginning of your workout.

Also, muscles grow when you're resting and eating, not when youre working out. You might try a 4 day split such as this

Day 1 - Shoulders
    Day 2 - Legs
    Day 3 - Off
    Day 4 - Chest/Tri
    Day 5 - Back/Bi
    Day 6 - Rest

and repeat. Remember, diet is key... if you think you're a hardgainer, try taking in 4000 calories per day with 300g protein and 250-300g carbs. Lift heavy, eat, and you will grow.
    Last edited by AandF6969; 03-23-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Everytime i have time i eat it's just getting food with protein that is harder to acheive. You know we have like lunch meat and thats it, and I have 3 different kinds of proteins none of them probably any good? Eas Complete whey protein, ON's 100% whey, and prolabs NlargeČ, but back to lifting what if i worked some squats, leg press, calf workouts, in to my shoulders day? And I could still take sundays off or whatever or is one day a week not enough rest?

Personally, I don't think one day off per week is enough rest... I prefer 2 or 3. But whatever works for you. You need to get 50g protein per meal, that is a good number to shoot for. "we" have lunch meat, is this school or work or your house or what?

Don't forget leg curls to work your hamstrings on leg day.

Lunch meat is at our house. Is that good enough or do you have to have like roast and steaks or what?? Our school has like one serving of meat a day they vary what that is. Ya i wont forget the legs either.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieDarren
    Lunch meat is at our house. Is that good enough or do you have to have like roast and steaks or what?? Our school has like one serving of meat a day they vary what that is. Ya i wont forget the legs either.
    lunch meat is ok, but chances are it's probably got alot of sodium, which is no good. Some good, simple things to eat are eggs, tuna, and natural peanut butter. And keep taking thos shakes. You said you have ON, thats my personal favorite.

And I agree with AandF about the other stuff

All right thats good I can get peanut butter thats for sure. So is their a difference in like quality of protein? You said that the lunch meat has high sodium, what about like hamburgers and hot dogs?? Should i stick to a very low amount of carbs? But anyways I'm glad to hear for the most part my workout schedule is good I was afraid for a bulking phase I had it all messed up.

Hamburgers and hotdogs are fine for hardgainers... just make sure you eat enough of them to get enough protein. Chicken breast and steak and tuna are much better choices though. You need carbs to grow, probably shoot for 300-400 grams per day when bulking, including your PWO shake. A good PWO shake has protein and dextrose in a 1:2 ratio.

I can probably easy ways to use tuna and chicken breast steak might be a little more difficult but we will just have to see. What about sleeping do you guys value a good extra hour every night or does it really not matter?

I shoot for 8 hours every night but sometimes it doesnt happen... so I'll take an hour nap before the gym.

When it comes to that tuna do you just eat it straight out of the can? And just nuke the chicken breast? Quick painless kind of meal thing.

Either grilling outside on a gas grill or inside on the foreman is how I cook chicken, depending on the weather. If you're bulking you can get away with a bit more, like making stir fry with teriyaki sauce instead of just a plain chicken breast. Tuna strait out of the can, but there are some recipes on here to make it taste better. BASK8KACE posted one yesterday I think.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Tuna strait out of the can, but there are some recipes on here to make it taste better. BASK8KACE posted one yesterday I think.
    The post you're referring to is here:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=28

All right thanks, I checked that out and your other posts Bask8kace. Looking good man, but right now I am looking at the bulking diet thread forum. I am looking to get in a routine you know so it's not the go to the fridge and **** off for 10 minutes trying to decide what i should eat.

Thread Information