Thread: 5x5 question

Tom
    Tom is offline Associate Member

5x5 question

Ive been doing the 5x5 routine now for a few weeks and was wondering if at the end of six weeks could I just change the exercises and keep doing the 5x5 or will I have to take time off from the whole 5x5 routine to keep my body from getting used to it?

countryguy80 is offline New Member
    I would continue with what you're doin' now until you stop making progress on your 5x5 exercises...then just go to 5x3, again, until you stop makin' progress...then take it back to 5x5 and just go back around where u got stuck the first time (at 5x5)

thunder31 is offline Junior Member
    I've been on a modified 5x5 for aprox. 8wks now & its still going great. All I do is change my rep scheme when I'm not able to add weight from the previese (sp) wo. I keep a log to see if I reach 5reps each set. Then add weight the next week.

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    I've pretty much stuck with the same 5x5 bench routine for over a year now, 1>because I keep improving with it and 2>because I'm too stupid to change my routine

delroid is offline Junior Member
    what are your guys 5x5 routine?

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I would like to know also.

Quote Originally Posted by delroid
    what are your guys 5x5 routine?

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    When I use 5x5 it applies to all compound movements: squats, deads, bench, rows, chins, military etc. I don't import the 5 rep scheme to smaller muscle groups much.

Timetraviler is offline Junior Member
    bump

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Here is a version for those that requested it....

Needsize is well known on 'ology and EF...

Originally posted by Needsize:

I'll do my best to try and remember all the elements that make the program work.

The premise of the routine is progressive overload, meaning that every week you are putting increasing amounts of stress on the muscles, generally through small increases in the amount of weight used. The progressive overload forces the body to grow to adapt to the increasing amounts of stress, even though the body really isnt training to failure.

The routine consists of choosing a heavy compound exercise to use for each bodypart, these can include, squat, deadlifts, bench press, close grip bench, standing barbell curls, military press, etc. On top of the initial 5x5, you also choose 2 other exercises, and aim to do 2 sets on each, of 8-10 reps per set.
    Here's a sample routine
    Chest
    Flat bench 5x5
    incline dumbell press 2x8-10
    incline flyes 2x8-10

The key for me when using this routine is to start light, at weights that you can easily nail your reps and concentrate on form. For example, say you can bench 225lbs for 8 reps, start with 195lbs on the bar. This should be easy, but if you keep your reps slow and in control, you will still get a good pump and have a good workout. Next week, bump up the weight by a SMALL increment, remember the key is to be able to keep adding weight, it's not a race to get to the massive poundages. If you add too quickly you will plateau in a hurry and the routine wont do jack for you. So you hit 5x5 on 195, next week its 200, the week after 205, etc. When you get to a point where you're starting to have trouble hitting your reps, add something extra to help, if you're natural, thats when I would throw in creatine and whatever else as this will help you keep adding weight. If you dont get all 5x5, then do not add more weight next week, stick with the same and the odds are you'll hit it next time you try.

This routine is very effective as it targets fast twitch muscle fibres(5x5) as well as slower twitch(8-10reps) all in the same workout. Generally when done correctly you can gain lots of size as well as some pretty incredible strength all at the same time. I'm only a bodybuilder and dont give a rat's ass about strength, but have hit lifts (ie, deadlift 550lbs for 5 reps) that would allow me to compete as a powerlifter.

Thanks for the info SC. I have a question. Taking the example above, if I do 195 on my first week, do I do all 5 sets using that weight or do I build up to the 195? Like:
    155x5
    165x5
    175x5
    185x5
    195x5

Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    Thanks for the info SC. I have a question. Taking the example above, if I do 195 on my first week, do I do all 5 sets using that weight or do I build up to the 195? Like:
    155x5
    165x5
    175x5
    185x5
    195x5
    You keep the weight contstant, and bump it up the following week by a small amount...

So, 5x5 @ 195...

Thanks SC. I started this today with consistant weight like you said. I think this is the change I needed in my routine.

Good luck to you bro..

I've personally never been an advocate of it, but, I plan to try it out sometime this summer....

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

Credits to creator Vaughn Numryck and originating site JoeScopeck.com

I'm sure most of you guys are familiar with this program generator if you are familiar with the 5x5 concept. I hate scheduling out my goals 16 weeks ahead, I prefer 8 or 12, but taking a SRM and reping it 5 times after 16 weeks is a miracle for those of us who have been doing this for awhile.

Thanks for the link. According to that spreadsheet though, the weight is not consistant with all 5 sets. I thought that all 5 sets of an excercise should be the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

Credits to creator Vaughn Numryck and originating site JoeScopeck.com

I'm sure most of you guys are familiar with this program generator if you are familiar with the 5x5 concept. I hate scheduling out my goals 16 weeks ahead, I prefer 8 or 12, but taking a SRM and reping it 5 times after 16 weeks is a miracle for those of us who have been doing this for awhile.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    Thanks for the link. According to that spreadsheet though, the weight is not consistant with all 5 sets. I thought that all 5 sets of an excercise should be the same weight.

Not in a true 5x5. I like it; I don't really work hard but every three weeks. Eat to gain, and put an honest 16 weeks into the program and tell me you don't multiply your max by five; I'll call you a liar J/K.

Thread Information