squibs24 is offline New Member

triceps in bench

When i do bench/chest workout my triceps are sore the next day also. Is this an indicator that my form on the bench is wrong?

Its possible, how far apart are your hands when you grip the bar? Close grip puts more on your triceps.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Move your hands out further on the bar. Triceps do part of the lift on bench so it could be that your hands are too close together.

squibs24 is offline New Member
    thanks

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    As a experiment try using lower weight controll the negative and feel your chest stretch and back contract. Using way to much weight will use your tri's/shoulders unless you are very strong. Bottom line is if your tris get sore then your form or technique is awry somewhere. Performing fly movements has more natural biomechanics movement that specifically targets the pec region.

DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member
    I had this same problem. I now use a wider grip and make sure i dont just push the weight up by using tris and shoulders, i bring it down slowly and focus on my chest. My triceps went from being insanely sore to not being sore at all.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    The heavier I bench, the more I feel it in my triceps (although I still feel it very well in my chest). When I go heavy I concentrate more on keeping my elbows in then I would if I was doing higher reps. If this is the case, I would think you're doing it right.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Here's what i do:

take a grip so that your forearms are perpendicular to the floor at the lowest part of the lift.

bring the bar all the way down to your chest (whether you touch or not is up to you - some people dont like it and argue it reduces time under tension)

the important thing is dont lock out. stop a good few inches short of lockout, the effect is twofold:

* firstly the act of locking out primarily involves the tri's not the pecs.
    * secondly the pecs stay under continual tension longer as stress is not shifted to the triceps.

you can see alot of the pros using this form on their workout vids. eg big ron coleman in the unbelievable and cost of redemption & franco columbu in pumping iron.

Thread Information