Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Training advice needed...

I just moved to Texas four days ago and i am most likely joining the next police academy (May). It is the 2nd toughest academy in the state and they of course make you do certain things like run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes (alot do this).

The thing is with this academy they run your as off in the morning (sometimes again in the evening, but i hear they have cut back as this was to excessive?) for 5-7 miles and with no warning make you drop down and do pushups and situps and get back up and keep running. I am going to begin running at a local highschool track in the morning as i hope to be in the best shape possible going in.

My cousin has been on the force for 10 years and talked about how rough it was and that they will weed all the weak cadets out real quick. The good thing is that you get paid as soon as you enter the academy.

I am wondering what type of drills/excercises should i start performing to help me with this. I ran on a treadmill for 52 minutes straight non-stop but i know that is not the same as a road/track but i thought it was a pretty good sign?

I know that 4 laps equals 1 mile so i can time myself etc... Just wondering what suggestions you guy's might have.

Another thing is i am worried about losing muscle as running is a bitch on muscle, i will be using Glutamine to help combat Catabolism but i am sure i will lose some anyway, at least i am thinking i will? I will continue to lift regardless.

Any fellow officers here have any insight as to what i should be doing?

Thanks
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 03-23-2005 at 11:22 PM.

xenithon is offline Member
    I am no officer but what I would suggest is that you look into GPP (general physical preparedness). It works wonder for strength, explosiveness, workload capacity etc. which I think may be of great benefit.

X

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    my recommendation......LOTS AND LOTS of cardio

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    if you dont mind me asking, how much are they gonna pay you once you make it to the academy?

Quote Originally Posted by XxElitexX
    if you dont mind me asking, how much are they gonna pay you once you make it to the academy?
    Starting out at the academy, i will be making $40k

I went to the track this morning, i had put on some long pants to run in that i had'nt worn in awhile, i got about 15ft and the ****ers started falling off of me. I guess i should'nt have cut those 40lbs +

I was running around trying to hold my **** pants up, finally i was like "Awe, **** it". lol

Gotta go buy some new clothes that fit, i probably looked like a fool out there this morning.

Is there a particular site that goes into detail regarding GPP?

Got up this morning and ran my first mile in 9:18, ran my second mile in 8:37. I figure this is not bad seeing as how i have never truly ran before in the past.

Oh, and let me be the first to say that doing fat burning cardio on an Elliptical and running are totaly two seperate things....**** that **** was rough.

I want to get my time down to 7:00-7:30 for one mile whle working my way up to a 5 mile run.

Well got some work to do on this so i am gonna go hit the gym.

Thread Information