spound is offline Anabolic Member

Is this over doing it on my leg workout

Mainly worried about over woreking quads, but i train them more intensely than anything. Here is what my leg day looks like:

Quads:
    2 warm up sets of squats, 4 working sets with maybe a drop set in there (4-10 rep range)

4 heavy sets of leg presses going up in weight, then on the last set repping out and take 2 plates rep out, etcc. until only two plates left (set 1:15 reps, set2: 10, set 3:6-8 reps, set 4 : heavy, someitmes wiht drop set)

3 sets hack squats (6-10 rep range

3 sets of 8 lunges, each leg

3 sets of one leg leg extensions 10 reps each

Hams:
    Straight leg DL 4 sets
    lying leg curls 4 sets with a drop set in there
    someitmes ill trhow in standing one leg curls for 3 sets

Calves:
    4 sets standing calf raise
    4 sets eated

***Am i overtraining my legs? Mainly my quads? I am using slin PWO right now, but i usually stick to a similar routine even while not using anything.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Mainly worried about over woreking quads, but i train them more intensely than anything. Here is what my leg day looks like:

Quads:
    2 warm up sets of squats, 4 working sets with maybe a drop set in there (4-10 rep range)

4 heavy sets of leg presses going up in weight, then on the last set repping out and take 2 plates rep out, etcc. until only two plates left (set 1:15 reps, set2: 10, set 3:6-8 reps, set 4 : heavy, someitmes wiht drop set)

3 sets hack squats (6-10 rep range

3 sets of 8 lunges, each leg

3 sets of one leg leg extensions 10 reps each

Hams:
    Straight leg DL 4 sets
    lying leg curls 4 sets with a drop set in there
    someitmes ill trhow in standing one leg curls for 3 sets

Calves:
    4 sets standing calf raise
    4 sets eated

***Am i overtraining my legs? Mainly my quads? I am using slin PWO right now, but i usually stick to a similar routine even while not using anything.
    17 sets for quads
    12 sets for hams
    8 for calves 37 sets total how long does that take

i do 8 sets total (quads, hams and calves) per workout but i'm not on a traditional split. For me i wouldnt walk for a week doing your workout.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    it sure is get red of leg press and maybe add 1 more good set of squats.. for starters.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    it sure is get red of leg press and maybe add 1 more good set of squats.. for starters.
    id say drop a set or 2 on squats. I mean once you have stimulated sufficient hypertophy whats the point of increaching the amount of work your body has to do to recover?

ha 2 warmups my bad, i usualy see 1 warm up 4 heavy's then lunges then slightly bent SLDeadlifts and some leg "ext/curls" call it a day .. but those 2 are optional.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I split my leg training: Hamms one day, Quads the next day.....I put two days of rest between them.

Seems like a lot of time in the gym looking at your routine. For quads I do front squats, step-ups (holding a barbell..around 140 pounds for the last set), Leg Ext. and narow stance squats.....generally 3 - 4 sets each, reps vary.

hamms: SLD's, Leg curls, Lunges and wide stance squats. Again 3-4 sets, reps vary.

Once a month or so I do nothing but squats. Starting with about 215 pounds and add 40 pounds after each set until I can't get the number of reps I want then i drop 20 pounds and finish the set. Generally I get about 8-9 sets before they give out. I do this for the hell of it.

I thought so....I always used to have chicken legs so i became obsessed with training the **** out of my legs and now they are a lot better, but I have upped the volume some and it seems my lifts are going down it weight, i just thought it was bc I came off cycel and i have started doing cardio every day recently and they couldnt recover enough. BTW, that usually takes me about 1hr 15min. bc I superset a lot. Like ill do SLDL's between sets of leg presses, and lying leg curls between sets of calves, or leg extensions. I think i will switch it up to something like this:

Quads:
    4 wokring sets of squats
    4 working sets of either hacks or leg presses
    3-4 working sets of leg extensions or lunges

Hams:
    3-4 sets SLDL's
    3-4 sets of lying leg curls or standing one leg curls

Calves:
    6 sets of standing calf raises or leg press machine calf raises

How does that look? Better? Thanks for the input fellas...Back to growing agian:
    Last edited by spound; 04-12-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    17 sets for quads
    12 sets for hams
    8 for calves 37 sets total how long does that take

i do 8 sets total (quads, hams and calves) per workout but i'm not on a traditional split. For me i wouldnt walk for a week doing your workout.
    Nah its usually actually more like 14 sets for quads, bc i dont usually throw the last exercise in there, and more like 8 sets for hams, same reason.

i do 12-16 sets total for legs

i do 12-16 sets total for legs
    Dammn, maybe i should back it off more huh?

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    Dammn, maybe i should back it off more huh?
    ask yourself... what would Arnold do?

saleen556 is offline New Member
    You don't need to do both leg press and squat in the same workout.Hit the squat hard and save the leg press for when your back is not feeling up to squats.Hacks are good for filling in the area above the knee.I would get rid of the lunges and leg ext for now as they are more for refinement.If you really want to blow up your legs try doing hams first then work up to 8-12 sets of squats.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen556
    You don't need to do both leg press and squat in the same workout.Hit the squat hard and save the leg press for when your back is not feeling up to squats.Hacks are good for filling in the area above the knee.I would get rid of the lunges and leg ext for now as they are more for refinement.If you really want to blow up your legs try doing hams first then work up to 8-12 sets of squats.
    heavy lunges are a godsend
    for me anyways... slap on 185 and go lunge around they gym slowly.

heavy lunges are a godsend
    for me anyways... slap on 185 and go lunge around they gym slowly.
    Me as well, I honestly feel like heavy lunges account for more mass on my legs than any other exercise, except for squats of course. I also feel like doing lunges has given my legs a completely different shape. Now that I think about it I will probably hit some squats then lunges then hacks, and yea, hams before quads is a good idea, I incorporate that method into my leg workouts about 40% of the time.

apexed37 is offline Junior Member
    its like this, im so sick of hearing over training, everyone is different so this is a hard question to answer, but IMO quads/hams are the biggest/best muscle groups to work, and work hard with intensity. Your workout routine is similiar to my leg workout so I understand where your coming from. I get good results from mine, and I think you will too. Also, most d1 college football programs, have their players doing squats in the off season EVERY OTHER DAY just slight variations.

apexed37 is offline Junior Member
    also work your calvs on a different day then the rest of your legs..

Quote Originally Posted by apexed37
    also work your calvs on a different day then the rest of your legs..
    Thanks, i do, i train them twice a week. I just like to throw them in with legs when i can. YEa, i feel i have responded well to this type of training, but i usdually and bulking and not doing cardio, but now that i am on the treadmill 6 days a week,i dont feel like my legs have achance to recover as wwell, so I think I am gonna drop the volume a little, maybe an exercise or two, and see how I respond.

Thread Information