newbrew is offline Senior Member

Proper method for bench? Touch chest, bounce, or 1" above?

Everyone has their style... but what is the 'proper' method for benching? Should I be touching my chest with the bar or not? I tend to like to go 1", maybe a little closer. Some people literally bounce (which I consider completely incorrect)

So, should I be touching or not?

For what?

Powerlifting?

Bodybuilding?

Recreational lifting?

???

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    people who bounce the bar need an azz whoopin, no bouncing!

Hey sissy MILF you gonna do the whoopin girl???

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    For what?

Powerlifting?

Bodybuilding?

Recreational lifting?

???
    Just your normal flat bench. I always do flat bench in my chect routine. I tend to do a reverse pyramid where I started with my max and work down. (after warm up of course).

Anyways, some people try to correct me when I dont actually touch my chest. Others say touching your chest can cause unneeded shoulder strain.

Proper Bench is to Stop the bar on your chest for 1 second then drive up.

I touch and go. As soon as I feel the bar I start the drive up....

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    I agree with my GAY lover Mondo...........

Well, I am in touch with myself now! So I can say PROUDLY I AM 1Vic's Biatch!!!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Bouncing the bar off the chest! Wow that is cool..maybe I will do that. Bro, do not do that. If powerlifting then a touch is required. There may not be much of a difference from lightly touching your chest vs. 1" from. Every one may have different body mechanics. It is more important on the amount of weight, grip spacing, elbows, and where to lower the bar then the difference of one inch.

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Touch the chest, pause, then press.

I load the bar up with as much weight as I can and get three of my dudes to spot me. They help me lift it off the rack and then I just like that sucker drop on my chest. 1-2" of bounce is preferrable and then I let my dudes to the rest. After that, I walk around the gym...do some pose downs in the mirror, touch myself and slap my dudes assses. Yeah...I am like the coolest guy in my gym and the chicks dig me.

DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member
    1 inch above chest for sure! going anything lower puts too much pressure on shoulders IMO and in the long run if ur going heavy, it might cause shouler pain....

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I always wonder why everyone has the spotter take the bar off. do you guys do that?? I never have. I feel like if i cant get it off the rack its too heavy anyway. Although from another perspective if the weight is a sick amount like 400+ maybe you have to get a lift. oh and I bring the bar down pretty slow and controlled to about 1 inch above when i am near max and the drive my ass off to push it up.
    Last edited by Fat Mike; 03-25-2005 at 10:19 PM.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    I load the bar up with as much weight as I can and get three of my dudes to spot me. They help me lift it off the rack and then I just like that sucker drop on my chest. 1-2" of bounce is preferrable and then I let my dudes to the rest. After that, I walk around the gym...do some pose downs in the mirror, touch myself and slap my dudes assses. Yeah...I am like the coolest guy in my gym and the chicks dig me.
    That's hysterical, and you got the right avater.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    I always wonder why everyone has the spotter take the bar off. do you guys do that?? I never have. I feel like if i cant get it off the rack its too heavy anyway. Although from another perspective if the weight is a sick amount like 400+ maybe you have to get a lift. oh and I bring the bar down pretty slow and controlled to about 1 inch above when i am near max and the drive my ass off to push it up.
    personally i feel that having someone unracking the bar is good for a few reasons:

* some benches have j-hooks that are just too **** deep and you have to press the bar out of the rack - waste of energy IMO.
    * the upright struts(?) of some benches means that you would have to unrack the bar from behind your head - not safe or good for the shoulders!
    * why waste any energy unracking yourself. even if it means you can put just 1% more into the set is it worth it?

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    I stop short of the chest.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion

only retards bounce the bar off their chests

Hey man...like I said...me and my dudes....well....we are the best thing that ever happened to my gym. It's like we can just feel all the chicks staring at us and the other doods...well...they're just jeaolous.

Bouncing off your chest is the best man. One of my doods bounced it back on the rack one time. Three weeks later he was back bouncin again even though the ER doc told him not to. My doods are the coolest...

Maybe you have seen us at your gym gearin up for spring break. **** chick dig me.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey man...like I said...me and my dudes....well....we are the best thing that ever happened to my gym. It's like we can just feel all the chicks staring at us and the other doods...well...they're just jeaolous.

Bouncing off your chest is the best man. One of my doods bounced it back on the rack one time. Three weeks later he was back bouncin again even though the ER doc told him not to. My doods are the coolest...

Maybe you have seen us at your gym gearin up for spring break. **** chick dig me.
    Are you for real? I know I would not be jealous but more like embarrased. But heck maybe your chest is your best feature right?? Mine is.

CastorTroy is offline Junior Member
    No bouncing, form is everything. On another note in regards to benching I see a lot of people not placing their feet properly. To get a better base when benching feet should be out towards your sides almost even with your hip.

kenwoj82 is offline Junior Member
    1 inch above chest

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Are you for real? I know I would not be jealous but more like embarrased. But heck maybe your chest is your best feature right?? Mine is.

For the record, my thread is just a joke. We all know guys like this...straight out of 16 candles....skinny schmuck comes in with his "dudes" and has the worst form in the world but thinks he is the man.

Just a joke fellas.....

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Touch your chest or risk being called a pussy. If you have shoulder pain, it's because you're flaring your elbows out, not because you're going to low.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    For the record, my thread is just a joke. We all know guys like this...straight out of 16 candles....skinny schmuck comes in with his "dudes" and has the worst form in the world but thinks he is the man.

Just a joke fellas.....
    Dont worry i got the fact you were having a joke.
    Senn a guy bounce over 350 off his chest, it looked painful!

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    i tend to widen my grip so theres not as much strain on my shoulders and elbows when i go down, and that allows me to touch my chest, if ur grip is one of the closer grips i wouldnt go all the way down just cuz it brings ur shoulders and elbows past a 90degree angle which puts a $hit load of stress on ur joints and ligs. i screwed up both my shoulders doing that and now that ive widen my grip im good to go JM .02

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Man
    Touch your chest or risk being called a pussy. If you have shoulder pain, it's because you're flaring your elbows out, not because you're going to low.

exactly..proper technique causes no more strain than those not touching chest. proper technique is touching n pause

most that do it wrong that ive seen, bring the bar up way to high on their chest..like freaking coller bone line

i always wanna run and jump on the bar and make it go down all the way. i like it when i ask them how much they can bench..and then im like..no i mean real bench, like going down all the way...hahahah

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

???????????????

Oh. i get it....... sarcasim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Proper method for bench? Touch chest, bounce, or 1" above?-fag.jpg  
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

you don't need to go any lower than your elbows bent at 90°...

Thread Information