Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ya_man is offline Member

Arrow leg press or squat for mass??

whats better? what would add the most of amount of mass quickly?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    squat by far, IMO it feels to utilize more muscles while press seems to focus on quads... squats hit like ur ass,hams quads lower back and abdominals as well as abductors and iliopsas

I would add that ass to my workout

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by The Massacre
    I would add that ass to my workout
    LoL .. you too can have an ass like that if u squat!
    also squats put more overall stress on body which i have heard helps to increase test unless your on AAS

Juddman is offline Anabolic Member
    Both...I do 3 sets of squats pyramiding up the weight, then 2 sets of leg presses. Then my quads are toast.

That ass in Ya Man's avatar would definately be great for PWO Cardio don't you agree?

indica is offline Banned
    It would be good for pre- or post- anything!!!!!
    Last edited by indica; 03-30-2005 at 05:11 AM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    you must squat!!!!! i did this morning @ 7.30 a killerr

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Squat....full squats...not those half-assed drop your ass an inch and half ****.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Leg presses are hell on the lower back. Think about the position you are putting your body in. It's just not natural. It's like bending over and doing squats. Squats and lunges all the way.

ya_man is offline Member
    thanks guys!....when i do squats...it has never and will never be those gay half reps...its always ass to the ground!...normally will do 4 sets up then 2 or 3 down...then go do some extension or a leg press....depending what i feel like

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Squat....full squats...not those half-assed drop your ass an inch and half ****.

dude,

its an inch and 3/4

Kenny007 is offline New Member
    "Squats are the bread and butter of building mass"
    - Dexter Jackson

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    squats are by far the best part of legs day. puts on lots of mass

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ya_man
    not sure but what i do know is that ass in your avatar is off the chain!!!!!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Squats baby! Nough said.

One more thing, if you have trouble with squats, try doing them on a Smith Machine to help enforce good form. I like to do squat / toe raise combos. Burn baby burn

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Why choose if you do both squats and deadlift in the same week your lower back will be shoot, so do heavy ass squats one week. and legpress and heavy ass deadlifts the other. Variation builds mass the best and quickest. That will put **** good ammounts of meat on both your quads and hams.

Wide stance toes pointed outwards hits ham, ass and lowerback **** good. Closer stance toes pointed forward hits quads good but might be rough on your knees if you dont sit back proper. I dont think its neccesary to go below 90 degres in squat. Many many cant do that without losing the arch in the back(my back is screaming just thinking about it). Some people are just built to be able though.

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    One more thing, if you have trouble with squats, try doing them on a Smith Machine to help enforce good form. I like to do squat / toe raise combos. Burn baby burn

I dont even think its possible to use proper squat form in the smith. The form used in the smith squat and the form used in the barbel squat is totaly different imo. The smith takes out the lower back but forces it to follow a unnatural path of movement. I dont know I just dont se one single advantage to smith squats over barbel squats. Not even for a variation. But I hate the smith so Im biased.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I dont even think its possible to use proper squat form in the smith. The form used in the smith squat and the form used in the barbel squat is totaly different imo. The smith takes out the lower back but forces it to follow a unnatural path of movement. I dont know I just dont se one single advantage to smith squats over barbel squats. Not even for a variation. But I hate the smith so Im biased.
    Right on, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I workout at a small gym about .5 miles from my office and we don't have a free rack, so I have become accustomed to the smith machine. I like it personally.

Bigsickd is offline New Member
    What I did to get my legs to grow, is that I did a workout with leg presses on Wed and then on Sat. I would do 10 sets of squats and that is it. I use to have stick legs but now they have came along way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leg press or squat for mass??-29794155394_235.jpg  

ya_man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsickd
    What I did to get my legs to grow, is that I did a workout with leg presses on Wed and then on Sat. I would do 10 sets of squats and that is it. I use to have stick legs but now they have came along way.

insane legs man...nice job..how many sets of presses would u do on wed?
    u use gear at all?....i havent touch gear yet

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    nice pic Bigsick

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    and i agree with the general consensus on this issue...squats are far superior IMO

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I press, then squat.

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I can't do squats. Smith or free. Herniated L4/L5. The spinal compression ruins my day! I stick with leg presses and hack squats.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by ya_man
    squats hands down no contest. i am on dc. so if deadlifts are in the forecast, leg press will get the job done. i really feel torn down after the legpress, dont get me wrong, its a great exercise. but nothing will turn on that full body growth signal like squats. imo

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    BOTH!

you must do BOTH for size and shape.

Johan, GREAT answer! Why choose?

And you guys saying.. 4 sets squats and 2 or 3 set extensions.. BAH!!!! WORK THEM DAM LEGS!!!! What... you chicken? ANything under 12-14 sets for JUST Quads is a WASTE of time. Also add in 12-14 Sets for Hams and THATS a Leg day.

Lift large, be large.

redmeat is offline Senior Member
    Leg press will make your legs grow but squats make your entire body huge.

Anabolica is offline Associate Member
    "Squats are the bread and butter of building mass"
    - Dexter Jackson
    Bump

I think Im gonna be the first to say I dont think squats are needed. I think its very possible to become just as strong and big without them(with that said I do love squats, but I often take long breaks from them).

All the westside powerlifting I have done has tought me that there are ****loads of exercises that works the same muscles in different ways and that squats are just one of them neither better or worse.

Bodybuilder are to obsessed with squats. Seems to think anyone that dont squat is a pussy ect. Lunges, goodmornings and exercises like that is imo WAY more taxing and challanging then squats.

Squats are a good exercise but they DONT HAVE TO be done every workout. Acctualy its more benifical to both strengt and size to give them a rest and work with other exercise.

Try one leg squats(in the smith you put a bench behind you. Then let one of your feet rest on the bench and do a squat with the other leg(keep it far infront of you), kind of like a lunge with the back leg heightened). Knee friendly and hits the legs insanely good.

try walking lunges. Bring 2 big ass muther****ing db's out in the parking lot and lunge as far as you can. Then tell me how your legs feel. Hits every fiber in the legs just as good as squats.

Try gm's or squats done from the pins in the powerrack so you start at the bottom of the movement. Its HELL to get the weight moving but does wonders for your strengt and form.

Try legpress with one leg at a time, that hits the quads more intensly then anything I have ever tried.

Try legpress but dont obsess over how deep you take the sleed. Do semi deep heavy as hell reps cause the deeper you go the more ass you involve.

Try squat with chains draped around the bar so the upper part of the movement becomes heavy as hell.

Do heavy deadlifts because deadlifts does involve quads to get the weight moving from the ground. Not to mention they blast hams.

Do dimel deadlifts nothing hits the hams like those

Do romanian deadlifts.

Do deadlifts standing on a box to extend range of motion(my hams cry after this one)

When doing hyperexstension focus on squeesing the ass and hams and then tell me how your hams feels the day after(even better if you have a glute ham bench but I have never seen one of those around in any gym).

Realy there are millions of exercise to make the legs grow. Variating betwen then is the key for growth. Not squatting each and every workout year after year. Many grow from that. But imo optimal growth comes ONLY from variation. Not from any specific exercise. Also since hams and ass are way stronger then quads just focuse more attention on those 2 muscles and quads will follow.
    The best my quads have ever grown was when I was doing westside and NO QUAD EXERCISES at all. I worked hams with a ****load of exercises twice a week though.

The 2 biggest misstakes that serious bodybuilders(not the skinny as curl and bench guys obviously) do imo is to think they have to squat/deadlift every week and that they are to obsesed with full range of motion(Partial movements can be very benificial especialy with legs).
    No exercise works for ever. Not for most people atleast.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Platinum post Johan!

~SC~

thanks man

BULKING_N is offline Junior Member
    Squat #1. Leg press in second place. Dont use Leg press as a substitute. but a complement to squat IMO. I never feel it if i was to leave out squats and do just leg presses.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Say no to smith machines all it does for squats is isolate the quad more. Not good IMO.
    If you are having trouble squating then take off some weight and try again no point of wasting it on the SMITH MACHINE.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Good post Johan. And not to mention doing squats only gets boring as ****. I do pretty much everything you mentioned........even ham/glute raises. Talk about targeting hams, ouch. We don't have a bench tall enough to suit so we do them on the floor......I can only do the negative portion now. Lifting my weight up for the postive portion is completely impossible and I've been doing them for months!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I dont agree. If you deadlift on monday and squat say on thursday you wont have trouble with the lower back being tierd. And when squating you go ass down, thats better for your knees then staying at the 90degree mark. Look at the OL's, they have better quads then most BB's and they go ass down both with front squats and squats in training.

Offcourse other exercises like lounges and stiff deads play part in your overall leg development but for shire size and strength you need the most basic and BEST natural growth hormon producing exercise known to man and that is the squat.
    Last edited by palme; 04-02-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut
    Good post Johan. And not to mention doing squats only gets boring as ****. I do pretty much everything you mentioned........even ham/glute raises. Talk about targeting hams, ouch. We don't have a bench tall enough to suit so we do them on the floor......I can only do the negative portion now. Lifting my weight up for the postive portion is completely impossible and I've been doing them for months!
    Lol yeah the glutehams on the floor is horrible. I have been doing them every now and then for several years and I have only ONCE in my life been able to do one positive rep

Quote Originally Posted by palme
    I dont agree. If you deadlift on monday and squat say on thursday you wont have trouble with the lower back being tierd. And when squating you go ass down, thats better for your knees then staying at the 90degree mark. Look at the OL's, they have better quads then most BB's and they go ass down both with front squats and squats in training.

Offcourse other exercises like lounges and stiff deads play part in your overall leg development but for shire size and strength you need the most basic and BEST natural growth hormon producing exercise known to man and that is the squat.

Westside powerlifters almost NEVER does regular squats and deadlifts. Only when gauging strenght and in competitions. They only do variations of boxsquats, gm's(and some pulls like rack pulls) and then work the muscles with alot of wierd exercises. Many of them that I mentioned. They are the best powerlifters in the world also So that is enough for me to belive that squats doesnt need to be done. Its good to do them but its not true imo to say that they are absolutely needed for strenght and size or that its the best exericse.

I remember before I stared juicing and was about to start westside. I could do one uggly as rep with around 120kg in the squat not even to paralel. Then for 9 weeks I did westside and didnt do one single regular squat(did box squats for 3 weeks, gm's for 3 weeks and rack pulls for 3 weeks). After the 9 weeks I did a 1rm in squat and I did one deep rep with 150kg. So I gained over 30kg(ruoghly 70ibs) while natural(and cutting)in the squat in 9 weeks from NOT DOING SQUATS AT ALL.

I think going ass to the floor might be good for some and not for others. I cant go below 90 degres. I imidietly lose the arch in my back. So I dont go deeper then that(only sometimes when boxsquatting). Range of motion must be dictated by the body. Not old belifes that one certain depth is the "ultimate" way to squat. Why not change that upp to?? Ass to the floor for 2 weeks. paralel squats for 2 weeks and quarter squats for 2 weeks. I can almost promise you that it will give better gains then to do ass to the floor for 6 weeks straight.

But then again Im no big squatter(quads are my best bodypart though but thats just a fluke since I almost only work hams) and this is just my oppinion.

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Squats is king of all mass builders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information