Shrad6 is offline Junior Member

Which one to get my back like a V???

Ok I want huge lats some people have them so big looks like they have wings. When doing lat wide grip pull downs are you suppose to have your back straight up and bring the bar down in front of you to your chest? Or are you suppose to lean back and bring it to your throat? I see some dudes in the gym doing it one way then the other way then I see some guys doing the swing thing. Which one is the proper form for building big wide lats?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    You should be bringing the bar down to your middle chest.

Leaning back or sitting straight up?

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    wide grip pull downs.. with straps, and widegrip pullups..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Spy, is it better to do it straight-backed, or at a slight recess (80 degree)?

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    Spy, is it better to do it straight-backed, or at a slight recess (80 degree)?
    straight back gives more of a chance to damage your rotor cuff.. always do it arched...

also.. last set.. last rep... i hold it in the stretched position... for as long as i can... release the strength completly, and really pull those lats out...

Rules

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    straight back gives more of a chance to damage your rotor cuff.. always do it arched...

also.. last set.. last rep... i hold it in the stretched position... for as long as i can... release the strength completly, and really pull those lats out...
    Ok good...
    My partner saw me doing it straight, and said to do it with a lil arching, and pulling down to my throat...
    My rotator cuff is already damaged from pitching many years without warming up, so any more would not be good..
    Thanks for the reply my brutha..

Nice thats what I wanted to know. I always go as wide as possible just wasn't sure about my back being arched or not.

J*U*icEd is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard

exactly what i do..

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've always done wide grip pull ups behind the neck and in front. I stretch really well before hand for 30-40 seconds each lat. Then I do 5 sets of 10 reps. I alternate lat days some front days some back days. If I don't feel a pump at the end of the work out, I'll do some addtional pulley excersises alternating front and back every rep and do lots of negatives. Also, do a front lat spread inbetween sets.

MrDezel is offline Banned
    I always did them with a straight back because I thought the other way was more of a cheat.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    wide grip, slight arch, squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MrDezel
    I always did them with a straight back because I thought the other way was more of a cheat.
    nope.. straight, and behind the back gives rise to more risk of a rotor cuff injury..

Rules

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    try this.

attach a rope to a floor level pulley.

put on half of a heavy weight to feel the movement at first... say like 75 pounds.

feet shoulder width apart, about 3 to 4 feet away from the ground level pulley.

bent at the knees slightly but comfortably and bend about 45 degrees at the body comfortably to "lean into the weight arc"

grab the rope and row towards your belly button/stomach tight to your sides AFTER the lat pull initially and then pull your shoulder blades together at full contraction.

That is hands down the best back movement I have ever done and will put mass upon mass on your body.

hard and burns but really works.

Last edited by Dally; 07-21-2004 at 05:21 PM.

thats a good one Dalley. I use that too except I also stand on a 4" platform. You get the full stretch & can squeez. Its a modified bent over rope row. O yea on the lat pull down perform it in the front. Recent studies have proven it recruits the most muscell fibers. 2nd is in the front close grip. And lastly behind the neck. This is old school technique, too many people bob & weave ,their necks bentlooking down. WRONG! risk of injury. Behind the neck is usefull for shoulders anterior head using a barbell bar. And your looking straight ahead too, no strain on spine

Swellin Guest
    Rack chins are the best exercise I have tried for back width.

bigmack62 is offline Junior Member
    When doing Wide Grip Pulldowns, lean back about 5 to 10 degrees and pull the bar to mid-chest. Learn to feel the lats by trying to wrap the bar around your chest, squeezing your shoulder blades together, and holding for a count of 2.

promiscio is offline Member
    What up chin ups? Those seem to work good for me...

promiscio is offline Member
    I do both the inner grip and the outer grips;...

bigdaddy153 is offline New Member

seated rows

I have found that seated rows are great for back mass, always get my back sore. Also a great one that i live and die by is the barbell standing pull up with revers grip. Another that is almost as good as the barbell is the t bar. can't hardly bead the t bar.

BigErn is offline Junior Member
    this thread seems rather old...but bigdaddy, i think the original question was in reference to lat width and mass....

...wide grip pull ups and wide grip lat pulldowns, single arm lat pulldowns are also beneficial, but you're looking to strictly add on size, I'd probably stick to strict slow repetitions and maybe throw in some drop sets....worked for me

and your back should be slightly bent, make sure you're pulling with your lats and collapsing your traps, not with your delts

Swellin Guest
    Dang...nobody else for rack chins huh? Okay...they can stay a secret....until you read about them in DC training! They are a staple for back width. They are essentially stabilized , weighted chins with a 3-4 second negative on every rep...except the last one...8 second negative when you fail to reach the top.

I'll try that when I get clearance. :-( I hurt my rotator cuff. :Want to cry:

yup chins too.. Using behind the neck lat pull downs could stress rotator cuffs too...

Yeah, Doc says no more of that.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    wide grip pullups. i try to imitate franco columbo in arnold's encyclopedia. to me, he looks like this:
    * back arched, chest puffed out
    * pullup and try to touch your puffed out chest to the bar
    * it should almost be like a reverse pushup (imagine hanging horizontally instead of vertically and doing essentially a rowing motion)

i notice a much better pump when doing them like that than just hanging purely vertical and pulling up until my chin hits the bar.

Leviticus is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    wide grip pullups. i try to imitate franco columbo in arnold's encyclopedia. to me, he looks like this:
    * it should almost be like a reverse pushup (imagine hanging horizontally instead of vertically and doing essentially a rowing motion)

i notice a much better pump when doing them like that than just hanging purely vertical and pulling up until my chin hits the bar.
    Good info. I do lots of pullups but I don't arch or anything. I can now see why I'm not getting bigger lats. The way you explained makes perfect sense on how the lats are focused on while doing pullups with "form"

Syndicate is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks

Since I read the "Encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding"- by Arnold; I started using this and my lats have started to finally open like wings... work up to a max, of 50 reps, however long it takes you. Once you can complete 10-12 reps straight. Use a chain belt w/ weight, and hav at it.

Syndicate is offline Associate Member

Talking as a side note

Please don't interpret my reading of this book to conclude "I think I know everything."

Thanks

BULKING_N is offline Junior Member
    In addition to al lthe great exercises you guys mentioned, I read alot and also practice the visualisation technique. imagine the lats doing all the work and the arms just being 'hook support. I see so many guys doing back workout and it looks like al the effort comes from the biceps . I dont look at the weight, once Im feeling the back working. I think back is the most difficult one to train for you cant really see it working.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Check The Dates Bulkin N Old Thread But A Good One. There Good To Read Just Not To Reply

BULKING_N is offline Junior Member
    Oops. didint look. Just thoguht i shared my few cents of knowledge

mohawkman is offline Associate Member
    Arnold states in his book"the encyclapeadia of modern bodybuilding"that for a full and thick back that behind the neck pull ups are mandatory and in front of the neck is optional.this book was written some time ago and opinions may have changed since then ,but that was his two cents.just thought yall might want to know.
    peace
    Mohawk

colossus1 is offline Member
    bent over barbell rows.

Thread Information