Killer chest routine for somebody with overpowering shoulders

One of my downfalls has always been my chest size compared to my lats and shoulders. I hardly ever even train shoulders, but they just always look too big for my chest. Size of the chest isnt bad, 48" right now and on a cutting phase, but chest just looks too flat for the delts. Well last night I did a routine that I think will solve my troubles. Try this if you have genetically powerful shoulders that like to take over your chest movements.

Decline db presses(turn palms together at top of movement) 1 warm up set, 4 work sets 6-8 reps

(Ok, now this next part is the part of the routine last night that I believe is going to kickstart the chest back into growth)

Hammer strength seated bench press, put seat all the way up so it seems like more lower chest. When you execute the movement dont go down so far that the handles touch the machine, stop about 6 or 7/8 the way down to keep strain on the chest and keep the shoulders out. I believe that although it looks like more lower chest its not for us shoulder benchers, its just not involving the shoulders. I did 4 sets of 6-8 on this.

Incline hammer strength seated press

Again, seat is all the way up. 4 sets of 6-8

followed by 2 sets of flys or weighted dips 12 reps/set

I never used to mess with the hammer strength equipment, but I believe with the seat fully raised its going to bring my chest right up. It's felt so pumped and full all day, I even took a pic to compare to the other pics and it looks like I have implants compared to the other recent pics. Give it a shot.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Keep your shoulder blades adducted (squeezed together) which takes the shoulders out of the movement. Really emphasizes the chest.

I try that all the time, helps a little bit but not much.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Keep your shoulder blades adducted (squeezed together) which takes the shoulders out of the movement. Really emphasizes the chest.
    yep. shoulder blades together and focusing on your chest. Even if you have to lower the weight some make sure you fell it in your chest. Sounds like you should work on your form more. Make every lift count. I had the same prob. untill I worked on my form.
    I use those hammer machines from time to time just to shock the chest a little and it always works.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    yep. shoulder blades together and focusing on your chest. Even if you have to lower the weight some make sure you fell it in your chest. Sounds like you should work on your form more. Make every lift count. I had the same prob. untill I worked on my form.
    I use those hammer machines from time to time just to shock the chest a little and it always works.
    Sick Avatar bro.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Sick Avatar bro.
    yeah bro you know that shait hurt like a mofo!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I used to have the same issue.

I found that eliminating all bar work and all hammer equip (that locks your shoulders in and it hurts like h*ll eventually too when you go heavy like me) helped a lot.

I use d-bells for all chest work, and I check my ego @ the door and use poundages that allow my chest to do the work, not my shoulders and triceps. Having your hands "free" and not locked in one place on a bar is the key. My shoulders already try to take over ALL my movements, d*mn things, so this has helped a lot!

~SC~

Thread Information