Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223

    Pre exhausting chest

    Does anyone else do heavy ass flyes before chest press? Do you feel it overtrain you or do you find it benificial?

    I love to do 3 sets of incline flyes(very heavy flyes and not so deep, just until I can feel the stretch a bit) before I do my db chest presses.
    Im just afraid to overtrain my chest since I do that very easily. But I always notice my chests gets fuller and rounder from doing so. Would it be to much to do it every week??

    For a while a couple of weeks ago I did 2 sets of flyes on one angle and then 2 sets of db press, then I lowered the angle by one hole and did another 2 sets of flyes and 2 sets of presses. The pump is amazing But the weights used in db press becomes pretty phatetic(12-20ibs less)

  2. #2
    Bigsickd's Avatar
    Bigsickd is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cali. On the Westside
    Posts
    23
    I do incline db flyes 4sets to warm up my chest before doing a pressing movement, I don't feel it pre-exhausts it, more it just strecthes and warms up my shoulders and chest.

  3. #3
    justin2305's Avatar
    justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,552
    ill do light flys bf any presses just to heat my chest up and stretch it a lil bit

  4. #4
    HammerCurler's Avatar
    HammerCurler is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Does anyone else do heavy ass flyes before chest press? Do you feel it overtrain you or do you find it benificial?

    I love to do 3 sets of incline flyes(very heavy flyes and not so deep, just until I can feel the stretch a bit) before I do my db chest presses.
    Im just afraid to overtrain my chest since I do that very easily. But I always notice my chests gets fuller and rounder from doing so. Would it be to much to do it every week??

    For a while a couple of weeks ago I did 2 sets of flyes on one angle and then 2 sets of db press, then I lowered the angle by one hole and did another 2 sets of flyes and 2 sets of presses. The pump is amazing But the weights used in db press becomes pretty phatetic(12-20ibs less)
    You have to use 12-20lbs for presses after you do the fly's?!

  5. #5
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerCurler
    You have to use 12-20lbs for presses after you do the fly's?!
    No 12-20 ibs less then usual

    I usualy rep with the 95's in incline. After some heavy ass flyes I only rep with the 80-84's

  6. #6
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,207
    i always do cable flys prior to a press to warm up the muscle tissue and stretch it out...
    cold muscles are weak muscles and stretched muscles are happy muscles

  7. #7
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    I'm yet to make that a mainstay in my chest routine
    i do it for shoulders tho (front raises, benta laterals, and later raise BEFORE pressing)


    works great there...so should work good for chest

  8. #8
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    In theory, it is the most effective way to work the chest. This is because the chest muscles are bigger and stronger than the shoulder and triceps ( which are heavily recruited during chest). Therefore, these smaller muscles "theoritically" limits your strength/size for the chest muscles (they cannot be fully fatigues due to the smaller muscles giving out). I said this is in theory, I don't want a dumbass to say that I said it was most effective like another post about theory and application~

  9. #9
    jjgym is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i always do cable flys prior to a press to warm up the muscle tissue and stretch it out...
    cold muscles are weak muscles and stretched muscles are happy muscles
    I do the same thing.

  10. #10
    bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    In theory, it is the most effective way to work the chest. This is because the chest muscles are bigger and stronger than the shoulder and triceps ( which are heavily recruited during chest). Therefore, these smaller muscles "theoritically" limits your strength/size for the chest muscles (they cannot be fully fatigues due to the smaller muscles giving out). I said this is in theory, I don't want a dumbass to say that I said it was most effective like another post about theory and application~
    This is a true statement. Flyes are more naturally prone to target the pec region effectively. I do not think it is a theory but fact but, I also am not saying they are the best mass chest builder. On the flip side one who does NOT do flyes somewhere/sometime in their chest routine will have mediocre pec's.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •