Anabolica is offline Associate Member

how many sets do you do?

Lately people come up to me asking how i train, how many sets and reps and so on.

I told them 3 sets per exercise, exept on leg day when i do 5 sets of squats(i dont do leg presses so i do more squats)

Who else agrees with me and that you don't need any more than 3 sets to failure, doing more than that does nothing but overtrain your muscles.

if you train hard and heavy in those 3 sets then you'll be to **** tired and pumped to even do anymore.

what do you think?
    Last edited by Anabolica; 04-04-2005 at 07:29 AM.

31uniform is offline Associate Member
    different for evrybody. some days i feel i can do more than others but i typically do 12 to 16 sets for bigger body parts and 6 to 10 for the smaller ones. usually no more then 4 sets for each exercise.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yup, experimentation is key as everyone differs.

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I am more old school thought higher volume moderate(& heavy) weights. I used to lift heavier but as you get older training style can change. Heavy duty type training can and will sooner or later affect joints. You will start hearing popping in your knees, slower getting out of you car ect.. Although I am in fantastic shape/condition for my age. No one ever believes my age. Also , I try to sharpen/shape my muscle more than just pure mass and imo higher volume does that. But every one is unique so 3 sets is fine for a majority of the masses. Next month I am considering a 5x5 program bumping up my poundages considerably going against my own way...

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't think the question should be sets per exercise but total sets per muscle group.

Thats cool i realize i worded that different to what i was thinking and even went a little off track at the end.lol

Everyone is different, i find i don't respond well to more than 3 sets
    I go so heavy on those 3 that i couldnt do more without injury, yet there are people that can go up to 5-6 +sets per exercise and still grow like a weed.

Thx for the imput guys. Go hard-
    Anabolica

Okay, what about sets per muscle group.
    how many do you do?

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    3 sets low reps but heavy with three excercises per group, 9 sets total

nathanw21 is offline Member
    most of the time i hit between 15 and 20 sets per muscle group. i know some might say that i am over-training but it works best for me. when i only do like 12 sets i dont feel it as much and i dont seem to grow. for example i might hit 8 sets of squats. i need that many sets to hit my quads the way i want to. yesterday i hit 6 sets of dead lifts. 3 sets just does not do it for me.

I stay between 9 & 12 usually but sometimes go up to 16.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    16 total sets for the big ones and 10 for smaller ones.
    Usually 4 sets, the first set is not maximal and is used as a warm-up, usually 3 hard working sets.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I work until failure. I also do a long warm up on my first exercise per group. Today I did chest. 20 x 40 kg, 10 x 60, 10 x 80, 8 x 100, 8 x 110, 6 x 120 on flat, then on incline 10 x 80, 8 x 100, 8 x 105 and 6 x 110. Flys with 14, 16, 18 and 20. Then cable finishing.

14 sets not counting cable.

My last rep in set always ends with an assisted rep for the last 1-3 sets depending on how my day is going.

For legs I do a lot more because I do more exercises. Squat, lunge, hack squat (heavy assisted), extension, hams...

I stop when I am out of juice.

bonsey is offline Junior Member
    Right now I am doing just 6 sets for small muscle groups and 9-12 for larger ones. I am emphasizing the eccentric portion of my lifts ( taking about 3 seconds to lower the weight ) on all excercises with the exception of squats, deadlifts, romanian deads, and pull ups.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    just got back from my chest day n im sure its almost identical to everyones

Flat dumbell warm up- 50's x 12 55's x 10

70's x 8
    75's x 8
    80's x 6
    Incline dumbel
    60's x 8
    65's x 8
    70's x 6
    Decline bench
    x10 x8 x6
    Chest press machine reals low n wide, relly flex at the end, 3x10

this is actually the first day i did this workout n really lieks it, jsut switched to 1 on 1 off training cycle, see how it works out for me

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    also when doing flat dumbell i keep my legs up on the bench, it seems to isolate my chest MUCH better then my legs down, and i dont arch my back and use momentum as much, ne one else do this, or have factual basis that this isolates the muscle more?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I go by feel... not following a set structure..depends on my level of energy...among other factors

irongryph is offline New Member
    Usually, I'll do b/w 3 and 4 sets per exercise. During GVT, I'll do 10 sets of one exercise per body part.

Bodies differ. What I do is not set in stone, but it's what has worked for me thus far.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I go by feel... not following a set structure..depends on my level of energy...among other factors
    Yes, this holds true for myself. Many get caught up in the set/rep thing. Many times I loose track and go by feel.. and instinctive training.

Thread Information