kme1024 is offline New Member

need better workout routine

I'm a newbie member here so Hi everyone. anyway i need some help with a good workout schedule and workouts to do. anything that will help. i'm kind of new to it. i'm 6'5 175 25 years old

Welcome Bro

Here is the split I've been using and getting pretty good results,
    Mon-Chest, Forearms
    Tues-Legs, Calves
    Wed-Delts, Traps
    Thurs-Biceps, Triceps, Forearms
    Fri-Back, Calves
    Abs-EOD
    Sat/Sun-Off

kme1024 is offline New Member
    thank you bro i'll give it a try. Bump!!

mohawkman is offline Associate Member
    beginers usually get good results cocentrating on movements for major muscle groups such as benchpress squats seated rows this will hit the major muscle groups of your body throw in some preacher curls for your bicepts ,and dips for tricepts.i have allways read to work each body part twice a week in the beginning.once you have done this for a while start training each body part once a week and add more exercizes for each muscle group.thats my 2 centsgood luck ,happy training
    Mohawk

Anabolica is offline Associate Member
    Give this one a go.

Mon-Back/traps
    tues-delts and triceps
    wed-legs/calves
    thur-off
    friday-chest/biceps
    sat/sun off

I like to work my neck,forarms and abs too so i add them to workouts atleast every 2 weeks or so.

use heavy weights , low sets and a rep range between 6-8

If you feel your form is lagging becouse of the weight then reduce it slightly. Never sacrifice form for more weight.

Do heavy compound lifts such as deadlifts,squats and bench press(i only do incline)

Dont forget that your diet will make or break how well you progress, eat like crap then you get crap results.

Train hard and good luck

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    If you never stepped into a gym or lifted a db then I would first suggest you start out on machines for a few months. Do some circuit training getting your body more conditioned is a priority. Then progress to free weights lifting light to moderate weight, slowly progress using progressive overload. Start at working two muscle groups 3-5 exercises and keeping in the 12-15 rep range. Later, after you see how your body reacts OR does not react either keep it or change it perhaps lowering the reps,upping the weight and concentrating on compound movements depending on your strength. Good luck .Only dedication and lifestyle change is going to help you on you goals which is not going to happen overnight.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    im not an advocate at easing someone in to the game. i think there are far too many bad habits to be picked up with exercise machines (which are largely non-functional). also contrary to popular belief they are no safer than free weights ["supertraining", mel siff].

Most people will agree the best gains come when you first start out, so why not make the most of that - i know i wouldn't train like i did knowing what i know now. beginners should build upon the experiences of others. i certainly would not worry about trying to isolate traps/biceps/calf muscles etc...

lift 3 days a week, focussing on the freeweight compound exercises with strict form and high intensity. something along the lines of:

Monday PUSH:
    Barbell bench press 3 x 8 reps
    Dumbell shoulder press 3 x 8 reps
    Tricep dips 3 x 8 reps

Wednesday LOWER:
    Back squat 3 x 10 reps
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps
    DB lunges 3 x 10 reps

Saturday PULL:
    Bent over row 3 x 8 reps
    Wide grip pull ups 3 x 8 reps
    One arm DB row 3 x 6-8 reps

AM cardio 2x per week.

if you dont know what any of the exercises are goto www.exrx.net - an excellent resource.

best of luck.
    Last edited by weightshead; 04-04-2005 at 10:28 AM.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Weightshead, it good to disagree. But your philosophy is flawed if you anaylze it. Would you throw a person who just recieved their driving license into a NASCAR 600 horse on Taladega super speedway?? Assumming he has no trainer/knowledgeable spotter having him jump into squats is crazy. You are wrong about machines and people do gain some escpecially like you said "gains come early" . His nueromuscular system is not ready. One needs to walk before sprinting and a complete novice machines are a good way to start. I totally agree that they are not better then free weights and that is not the point here. Safety and intial body conditioning are and minimizing injury. I not saying use the machines for years...

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Weightshead, it good to disagree. But your philosophy is flawed if you anaylze it. Would you throw a person who just recieved their driving license into a NASCAR 600 horse on Taladega super speedway?? Assumming he has no trainer/knowledgeable spotter having him jump into squats is crazy. You are wrong about machines and people do gain some escpecially like you said "gains come early" . His nueromuscular system is not ready. One needs to walk before sprinting and a complete novice machines are a good way to start. I totally agree that they are not better then free weights and that is not the point here. Safety and intial body conditioning are and minimizing injury. I not saying use the machines for years...
    your turning what i said into something i didnt with that analogy. no i wouldnt put someone who just passed their driving license into a nascar or even put them on a push bike - id give them a car and show them how to drive safely.

ie light freeweights focussing on form. virtually all men can physically do squats with a 20kg barbell and no weight on a first session. you learn best by practicing the actual moves and in my opinion resistance machines have little or no cross over functionality to real free weight movements.

and your argument that the CNS and skeletal muscle are not ready is a moot point. the whole point of training is to improve CNS muscle fibre recruitment and increase skeletal muscle mass whilst also improving the tendons and ligaments. freeweights are without doubt the best way of achieving this - now im NOT saying start lifting heavy, im saying:

*use the compound freeweight exercises
    *lift light to practice form and practice the movement
    *dont go to failure
    *use the principle of progressive mechanical overload

my advice to anyone reading this thread looking for info is read both sides of the argument, read around and make up your own mind. good luck.

[by the way it wasnt me who said machines are no safer than freeweights - it was mel siff. The author of "supertraining" which is without a doubt the most repected and most researched, advanced level textbook on training and training systems. (i wouldn't have guessed it either)]

RobbieG is offline Member
    monday: back
    Thu: breast
    Wedn: squat + shoulders
    thur: back
    fri: breast.

for bulking

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    If you never stepped into a gym or lifted a db then I would first suggest you start out on machines for a few months. Do some circuit training getting your body more conditioned is a priority. Then progress to free weights lifting light to moderate weight, slowly progress using progressive overload. Start at working two muscle groups 3-5 exercises and keeping in the 12-15 rep range. Later, after you see how your body reacts OR does not react either keep it or change it perhaps lowering the reps,upping the weight and concentrating on compound movements depending on your strength. Good luck .Only dedication and lifestyle change is going to help you on you goals which is not going to happen overnight.
    This is what I did. And it worked just fine. Dont worry about the weight with a good diet and dedication the weight will come. I f you are new to training all together your CNS has a long way to go. Let your body get ready before you move to free weight. You will know when you are ready.

Thread Information