Thread: Is this better?

sol
    sol is offline Associate Member

Is this better?

I've always been a fan of working out one muscle group per day. The idea is to go in and lift, ballz to the wall for 45 or so min. Here's what I'm thinking:

Day1: Legs
    Day2: Rest
    Day3: Chest
    Day4: Back/Abs
    Day5: Tris
    Day6: Rest
    Day7: Shoulders/Traps
    Day8: Bis

I'll go in each day with 3 different workouts for each muscle group and 3 sets per workout of 6-8 reps. I start at 6 reps with the heaviest weight I can move then lower the weight to where I can stay within the 6-8 range for each consequitive set. This applies to all workouts except for legs and calves. Legs I'll probably do about 5 sets of 6-8, and calves...hell, I'll just wail the hell out of em. So, how does this look guys?

sol
    bump!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sol
    I've always been a fan of working out one muscle group per day. The idea is to go in and lift, ballz to the wall for 45 or so min. Here's what I'm thinking:

I'll go in each day with 3 different workouts for each muscle group and 3 sets per workout of 6-8 reps. I start at 6 reps with the heaviest weight I can move then lower the weight to where I can stay within the 6-8 range for each consequitive set. This applies to all workouts except for legs and calves. Legs I'll probably do about 5 sets of 6-8, and calves...hell, I'll just wail the hell out of em. So, how does this look guys?
    I think it is too spread out. No need for a bicep only day. Either do them in a back/bi, chest/tri fashion, or back/tri, chest/bi fashion or have an arm day. How many total sets for each muscle group are you doing? Just wondering since you are allowing 8-9 days of recovery~

sol
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    I think it is too spread out. No need for a bicep only day. Either do them in a back/bi, chest/tri fashion, or back/tri, chest/bi fashion or have an arm day. How many total sets for each muscle group are you doing? Just wondering since you are allowing 8-9 days of recovery~
    It goes like this: each muscle group gets a total of 9 sets, spread out between 3 different exercises. However, legs gets 5 sets of squats and 4 sets of lunges, or 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg ext, and 3 sets of leg curls.

Now, the reason I'm interested in the one muscle group per workout routine, is because if I were to workout more than one muscle group in a workout, I wouldn't have as much energy to put forth in the last half as in the first half. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every consequtive set past the first causes your body to lose more and more energy, therefore the last half of the workout would be much less quality than the first half. This is my philosophy on lifting. Do you think the loss of energy isn't significant enough to really matter?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Try my split:

Legs
    Off
    Chest
    Back
    Off
    Shoulders/Traps
    Bis/Tris/Forearms
    Off

brew035 is offline Associate Member

Move tris to day 6 and rest to day 5. I would never do this split. It just looks kinda funny maybe under training.

sol
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    Move tris to day 6 and rest to day 5. I would never do this split. It just looks kinda funny maybe under training.
    Okay, I'm assuming that the reason for moving tris to day 6 would give my tris more time to recoperate? But...kinda funny though??? So, maybe I should work out my muscle groups once every 6 days as opposed to ever 7 days?
    Last edited by sol; 04-05-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Day3: Chest/tri
    Day4: Back/bi/Abs
    Day5: Tris off
    Day6: Rest shoulders/trap
    Day7: Shoulders/Traps off
    There is not 8 days!!!

just relized that you had down eight days. How did you come up with that?
    Try what I did in bold it will work better and give you more play time.

It goes like this: each muscle group gets a total of 9 sets, spread out between 3 different exercises. However, legs gets 5 sets of squats and 4 sets of lunges, or 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of leg ext, and 3 sets of leg curls.

Now, the reason I'm interested in the one muscle group per workout routine, is because if I were to workout more than one muscle group in a workout, I wouldn't have as much energy to put forth in the last half as in the first half. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every consequtive set past the first causes your body to lose more and more energy, therefore the last half of the workout would be much less quality than the first half. This is my philosophy on lifting. Do you think the loss of energy isn't significant enough to really matter?
    Thats the idea. That is also why you do you big lifts first like deads bench squats and so on. If you are eating good you should have enough energy to be able to overtrain. Eat more carbs if you are laking energy.
    Dont try not to workout hard. Like I said you could be undertraining.

sol
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    just relized that you had down eight days. How did you come up with that?
    Try what I did in bold it will work better and give you more play time.
    Uhmm woops. Sorry about that. I'm not sure where that came from...maybe it's because I failed 2nd grade math. Anyway, I do like the idea of having a third day off. But just to clarify, you think that the overall benefit of having two days where I work out two muscles at a time (not counting traps and shoulders) is more than if I didn't mix two muscles at a time. If so, can you explain why? Thanks a lot.

O.k. here we go.
    Chest/Tris: When you work out your chest it warming up your tris. Since this is happening why not go ahead and workout your tris.
    Back/Bis: The same thing applies here back warms up bis.

When hitting the bis and tris just go for heavy compound movements. 3 sets for each with the reps like this 10,8,6 or 8,6,4 depending on how heavy you want to go.

Its not going to take much to kill your tris and bis after chest and back. Doing it this way makes it easier to not overtrain. Hope this helps.

sol
    I appreciate your time, man. That's some good reasoning; I'll give it a try.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I personally gain more with a 8 days cycle. I like to have plenty of rest.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Follow Brew's training cycle. That looks better

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy

i agree

Thread Information