lzicc is offline Senior Member

Rest periods for working out

I have a question on my routine and resting time. I do the workout listed below. Am I getting enough rest between workouts for muscle recovery? I haven't felt real fatigued or anything but I worry about overtraining and not growing. I am on a cycle of deca and test.

Should I change it to a rest day after every workout? If I do the routine below, I am giving let's say my chest, 4 days rest until next workout, but obviousely my shoulders are always getting worked except for the rest day. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Day 1: Chest/Tris
    Day 2: Back/Bies
    Day 3: Shoulders/legs
    Day 4: Rest/Cardio
    Day 5: Repeat

Shoulders and legs in the same day? I think you should split that one up and make it four days. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 1 off, etc. etc.

For shoulders though, I don't do alot so it doesn't take me much time. I do military press, lateral raises and dumbell presses. Legs I mainly do squats, so I hate to split them up cause it doesn't take me long for that workout.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast All Star
    Shoulders and legs in the same day? I think you should split that one up and make it four days. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 1 off, etc. etc.

Well, if you are set on keeping it the same...I would still alternate between 1 off and 2 off days after every repeat. Two off days are good for the body IMO.

So you think I will be ok running all 3 routines back to back and then taking 2 days off and then go to it again? Thanks for the reply by the way.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    So you think I will be ok running all 3 routines back to back and then taking 2 days off and then go to it again? Thanks for the reply by the way.
    I don't think that's the best way to do it. I would do something like WCAS suggested. I also wouldn't do legs and shoulders together. You need rest to grow... And i would switch my workout up too. Upright rows? Rear delt? Lunges? Leg ext? Hams? calves? etc... JMO

bmg
    bmg is offline Member
    try...

chest/delt
    back/trap/rear delt
    off
    bi/tri
    quad/ham/cows

I am trying to stay away from too many isolation movements at this point and stick with compound movements. Upright rows are good, but I started having shoulder problems after doing them for a while so I quit. I don't do too much direct arm routines due to the compound movements hit them pretty good. I am mainly concerned with bulking right now.
    For instance, chest day, my tries get a decent workout while doing bench and forward dips, so I throw in a few sets of regular dips and cgbp to finish them off. Same with back and bies. I did have a seperate arm day for a while, but I needed to change up my routine since I have been doing this for awhile.

The only reason I have a shoulder day is so that I have enough to due with legs for a complete workout, plus I think that I need to strengthen my shoulders more for bench press. They seem to be my week spot.

If it has been working for you, keep it up. Everyone is different. My shoulder day is a long one. 4-5 excercises and 12-15 reps

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Working out does damage to your muscles. Rest repairs them and makes them grow.

Most of my muscle groups require 7 days of rest between workouts, but everyone is different. That being said, I still think your rest periods are too short.

That is what I am thinking. I want enough rest periods without sacrificing enough workouts. I will use more isolation excercises one I get more bulk.

How about something like this:

Day 1: Chest/Tries
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Shoulders and Legs
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Repeat

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    That is what I am thinking. I want enough rest periods without sacrificing enough workouts. I will use more isolation excercises one I get more bulk.

Day 4: Shoulders and Legs>>>>>>>>>>>>>This is the same exact workout
    How about something that will work better like this.
    monday- Legs
    Tuesday- Chest/Tri
    Wednesday- Eat A Lot and let your muscle repair. thus being what makes them grow.
    Thurday-Back/Bi
    Friday- Same as Wednesday
    Saturday- Shoulders/Traps
    Sunday- Same as friday

See no workouts sacrificed. Plus one more day of working out. Plus more off days. That even could allow for a good amount off cardio only days.

Fact is if you want to get bigger you have to eat good and have a good workout planed. You asked a question and didnt listen to anyone. So listen up and you will grow trust me. When I first came on here i weighed 135 pounds now I weigh 162. Did it all natural too. Good luck to ya hope it helps.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member

Day 4: Shoulders and Legs
    Looks good to me. Just monitor your progress and weights used each session to determine if you are under-recovered.

Thread Information