chillen is offline New Member

more shoulder questions

I just finished reading all of the shoulder threads, and here is my question. Last year i injured my shoulder and i went to the doctor and he said that I pulled the ligiments in my shoulder. Well since then I have injured both of my shoulders. Everytime I injure them i take 4-6 weeks off. Now, any time the I try to bench anything but lite weight, and by lite weight I mean under 200lbs. I'm fine. The second I put on over 200lbs my shoulders pop, and hurts like a bitch. Any advice? I'm tired of only benching under 200lbs. and looking like a puss cause of my shoulders.

Just to let you know I do arm windmills, and stretch my arms/shoulders for two timed incraments of about 30 seconds. I also do 4 lite sets of bench to warm up.

Thanx

p.s. has anybody tried the arnold bodybuilding program? Would you recommend it? Have you heard of the MAX-OT program from AST sports? and what are you opinions on that workout?
    Last edited by chillen; 10-02-2001 at 02:54 PM.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I,m not a great fan of flat bench for the following reasons
    1 my shoulders seem to hate it
    2 I just cannot lift much in this excercise at all in fact I can lift more Incline and decline!!

You don,t have to get stuck with Bench use Incline Decline or even DB as they allow more flexability in the way you train.I find using DB allows me to go heavy whilst finding the most natural way of pressing for my shoulders and the chest gets a good workout.

Your primary concern should,nt be how much you can lift but how strict the form is that you are using.

Billy

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Are you training your rotators? Fact is as your delts, lats, and pecs get stonger the link between they and your rotators gets weaker. If you've stained your a.c lig then stick with dumbells for a while. Ice your shoulder after every workout and massge it to increase blood flow. Make sure you're getting enough sleep for recovery and that you're eating what you need post workout

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I agree with both Billy and DB101. I had to give up bench press (and other pressing exercises that involved a barbell) because re-contructive wrist surgery has left me with 60% mobility in my left wrist and the inability to bend my hand back very far. I use dumbells for inclines, decines, shoulder presses etc...and have also incorporated hammer strength into my routines, although not exclusivly because I want those stabilizing muscles to keep doing their job as well. I have had problems with my right rotator cuff and my left super spinatous (sp) tendon. Active release therapy, lots of strentching, ice and rest (as well as deca ) have all helped in my recovery.

Pete

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I completely ripped my entire rotator cuff in a jetski accident 7 years ago... I have been dealing with that injury for along time now and will the rest of my life ... I suggest you follow a weekly rehab program for your shoulder ... Look one up , or ask your doctor . they involve full range movement and light weights... I can foreget about throwing a football or baseball hard ... My arm comes out... So I DONT DO IT >>> that simple ..we have to look ahead and do what it takes... Switch to a different movement and see if that is a soreness or a sharp pain ... you can work thru soreness ... I had to change my benchpress at the beggining to reverse grip on the smith machine ... thins allowed my arm to drop a bit from putting to much pressure and transfer that to my tricep. I was benching pre injury around 350 lbs after awhile I was benching 335 reverse ... start light ... Flat bench still hurts even after this much time ... but all the machines and flat dumbells don't hurt due to the angle i put my shoulder to do the excercise .... change things up a bit ...try different angles and see if that helps ... good luck ( rehab, rehab , rehab )

I'm gonna get a list of rotator exercises together to paste or e-mail next week.. Anyone interested let me know.

Good night!

chillen is offline New Member
    Dumbells I'm very interested in the exercises that you're putting together. I would like to thank all of you for your advice.

thanx again

Meantime until I bring my scanner from home, go to

https://secure.amazon-networks.com/s...l/rotcuff.html [/URL]

This is a great book for rotator problems.

Thread Information