Thread: Abbs everyday?

Terminator1 is offline Associate Member

Abbs everyday?

I have been trying to convince my wife that doing abbs everyday is not going to do any good. Whats everyones opinion on this?

Thanks,

Terminator1

Jeezy is offline New Member
    Not a good idea. Diet and cardio are the two main ways to bring out your abs
    I train them 2-3 times a week

zuke is offline Member
    a lot of people are under the impression that you can train abs every day. i personally disagree with this because your abdominal muscles are made up of fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers, just like every other muscle in your body.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator1
    I have been trying to convince my wife that doing abbs everyday is not going to do any good. Whats everyones opinion on this?

Thanks,

Terminator1
    Really depends on a lot of things:

What is her level, what are her goals, and what does her abs work out look like.

If her goal is to have nice abs, cardio 3x a week and abs 1-2 a week will do it if her work out is intense enough.

The problem with doing them everyday is that you get a "boxy" chuncky powerlifter look. If that is what she is after, then work your abs out every day with heavy weights.

Beefkake31 is offline Member
    I do it once a week like every other muscle in my entire body. And I go heavy like 10 reps instead of like 30. I want the muscle to get bigger, I think everyone should always go heavy to pop those things out because your diet is the thing that will get rid of the fat covering it and the heavy workout popping them out. That's why I don't think people should do like 30 reps or so.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefkake31
    I do it once a week like every other muscle in my entire body. And I go heavy like 10 reps instead of like 30. I want the muscle to get bigger, I think everyone should always go heavy to pop those things out because your diet is the thing that will get rid of the fat covering it and the heavy workout popping them out. That's why I don't think people should do like 30 reps or so.

having big bulking abs will also make your waiste look bigger in return making your v-taper look smaller! IMO of course

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Every muscle group requires a stimulus (training it), followed by a period of rest so it can repair and adapt to the new requirements... if you keep feeding it the stimulis without allowing the rest phases - it will become overtrained and is more likely to breakdown...

Here is a table I made to illustrate this (based on the ideas of Eastern Bloc coach Tudor Bompa) in a thread here called Supercompensation Explained

Also - the first thing I always ask somebody wanting advice in the gym is this: are you progressing? Its such a basic question but often neglected - some people go years without any real gains in either the work being performed in a period of time, the load used or the reps you can get before failure with the same load... if doing abs everyday allows her to keep progressing then she has a really good recuperative ability in her abdominals. But most need more rest than one night's sleep... for any muscle group getting some degree of intense training... if she is progressing then let her go - if not, she needs to listen to your ideas to help her improve.

hey warrior how days per week you suggest a muscle to be hit???

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    hey warrior how days per week you suggest a muscle to be hit???
    Are you progressing with your current training?

A basic answer to that depends on things like, how hard you hit it... with what movements... and the size of the loads you are able to currently use. Doing a lot of heavy compound supersets will require more rest (for physical and psycological adaption) but a basic workout with long rest intervals woud require a little less. I don't follow the Chest-on-Modays-and-Back-on-Tuesdays type split... but hit a group when it feels like it has been properly rested from what it has been put through...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    1 to 2 times a week just like any other muscle group

so you go by feel? you mention shoulders recover quickly, would hitting them directly 2 times per week overtrain them since you have chest and back involving delts?

znak is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Warrior]Are you progressing with your current training?

QUOTE]

Absolutely brilliant answer. Super.

Thread Information