jjgym is offline New Member

Running or punching bag for cardio workout?

Seeking opinions on these two options. Im looking to drop some fat while retaining muscle <---isn't that everyones goal.

Anyhow, I heard that running to lose fat can be counter productive as running also tends to eat away at your hard earned muscle.

What im wondering is if hitting on a punching bag vigorously for 30-45mins would be a good alternative cardio workout to running? Any thoughts?

Anyone do a punching bag routine or know how many cals you burn while working out on a punching bag? Thanks.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Forget about the punching bag, you gotta do something that will keep your heart rate constant. I'm pretty sure you can't punch keeping the same rate for 45 minutes while staying in your fat burning zone (usually around 135-140bpm)

I bought a stationary bicycle from one of my friends and it works great. You probably know a lot of people who own a bicycle but never use it. They are usually willing to let them go for 50 bucks.

Good luck

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    the bike can lead to sperm problems. I bet you would be able to keep a fairly consisent HR with the bag, it might fluctuate by a few bpm but if you get in a repitition it would probably be fine. The only thing I would be concerned about is cramping of the bicep. I don't know too many bodybuilders who can punch a lot because it is counterproductve ot have big biceps. I remember a recent James Toney heaveyweight match where he was winning but has problems keeping his arms lose because of the extra muscle he gianed.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Forget about the punching bag, you gotta do something that will keep your heart rate constant. I'm pretty sure you can't punch keeping the same rate for 45 minutes while staying in your fat burning zone (usually around 135-140bpm)

I bought a stationary bicycle from one of my friends and it works great. You probably know a lot of people who own a bicycle but never use it. They are usually willing to let them go for 50 bucks.

Good luck
    Would you recomend spending a lot of money on a stationary bike or would any old POS be fine just so long as it gets your heart rate where you want it ? I was thinking of buying one just want one thats silent so I dont disturb anyone else in the house if im up early for cardio.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    the bike can lead to sperm problems. .

WTF???

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    WTF???

~SC~
    HAHA maybe he meant possible ED issues

Well, you don't sit ON your dick or balls, so I don't see what the problem is, .

I've ridden a bike for years and I'm all good downstairs.

Just move that sh*t outta the way!

~SC~

carbs-rule is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Well, you don't sit ON your dick or balls, so I don't see what the problem is, .

I've ridden a bike for years and I'm all good downstairs.

Just move that sh*t outta the way!

~SC~
    Men who ride exercise bikes for about 5+ hours per week are around 4X more likely to develop impotence problems. It's been pretty well documented in the last ten years or so, over 100,000 men have come forward about it. It's not from sitting on your junk, but the bike seats are made in a way that forces you to flatten the main artery that pumps blood there. Some of the new seats may be better, particularly if you lean back like a chair. Supposedly the ideal seat would look like a toilet seat. I could see some wild inventions with this.
    I remember a few years back I used to bike about 30-40 minutes a day on a normal exercise bike (oriented just like a normal bike). Sure enough, every time I got off of the thing, I felt like I was suddenly getting more blood in that area.

I can see where that makes sense.

~SC~

singern is offline Banned
    I have been mixing in the punching bag with my treadmill for some time. It most certainly will keep up the heart rate, and challenge you in ways the treadmill never will.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbs-rule
    Men who ride exercise bikes for about 5+ hours per week are around 4X more likely to develop impotence problems. It's been pretty well documented in the last ten years or so, over 100,000 men have come forward about it. It's not from sitting on your junk, but the bike seats are made in a way that forces you to flatten the main artery that pumps blood there. Some of the new seats may be better, particularly if you lean back like a chair. Supposedly the ideal seat would look like a toilet seat. I could see some wild inventions with this.
    I remember a few years back I used to bike about 30-40 minutes a day on a normal exercise bike (oriented just like a normal bike). Sure enough, every time I got off of the thing, I felt like I was suddenly getting more blood in that area.
    Very true, not only blood flow but nerve compression. Many pro bikers can experience some form of ED.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    why such intense cardio?! unless your traiing for an event/comp?

Thread Information