DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member

Need help with UPPER CHEST

My upper chest has been lagging big time......this is what i do in order..i go heavy, low reps...

3 sets incline BB bench
    3 sets DB incline
    4 sets flat DB's (i switch to BB after 4 weeks or so)
    3 sets incline DB flys
    3 sets weighted Dips

I was looking at another thread where Nark and RickyS provided links with an exercise called a neck bench press which seems very interesting...Can you guys elaborate more on this exercise or anyone else who knows about it, it seems confusing...How should I incorporate this into my routine? What should I replace it with? BB incline? Any other suggestions and help on routine is appreciated, thanks

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    ive seen that bench neck press done in the gym before, but not sure what is purpose is, or what it targets. i personally dont like doing the same exercsie(i.e. incline db n bb) in the same day, but thats just a personal prefrence. Id say that looks pretty good, but what i would do is switch the incline bb to a close grip, because the db is equivalent to a wide grip(bigger range on motion), so basically that same program just change the bb incline to a close grip, but thats just my 2 cents, if you feel comf. with that workout im sure itll blast ur upper chest

thanks diesel...bump

anyone else? need some help with this...thanks

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    skip the incline dumbell bench presses; use only the barbell heavy as you can because it builds the most mass.

the neck press simply involves bench pressing with you lowering the weight onto your throat. try it light on the smith machine to start. i like to flare my elbows with them too.

John my friend, I beg to differ. I always do Incline BB first as it works the most valuable/biggest part of your chest the upper portion of it. I DO recommend that you do heavy bench right after though.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    DaG i got your PM...I'll bump the thread till a.m. and return to comment in regard to questions contained therein

The throat Prone (Bench-press to the neck):

My coach suggested they be the mainstay of my chest routine for upper pec development.
    A description:

Lie facing the rack (as opposed to lying looking away from the rack as if customary bench-press position).

Drop your hips so they're lower than the bench on which you're lying. This allignment emulates an incline setting..i.e. your chest is higher than your lower body. Maintain the natural arch in your lower back.

Have your partner assist you in removing the bar from the rack (as it is an unnatural position)..you should start with less weight than the customary bench-press.

Slowly Lower the weight to the neck, and explosively lift.The bar should travel in a natural curve...ending directly in your line of vision..i.e in line with your eyes as opposed to just over your chest.

When lowering the weight, the elbows should be square to the wrists and shoulders and perpendicular to the body.

I hope that's a decent/understandable explanation...it's just off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    The throat Prone (Bench-press to the neck):

My coach suggested they be the mainstay of my chest routine for upper pec development.
    A description:

Lie facing the rack (as opposed to lying looking away from the rack as if customary bench-press position).

Drop your hips so they're lower than the bench on which you're lying. This allignment emulates an incline setting..i.e. your chest is higher than your lower body. Maintain the natural arch in your lower back.

Have your partner assist you in removing the bar from the rack (as it is an unnatural position)..you should start with less weight than the customary bench-press.

Slowly Lower the weight to the neck, and explosively lift.The bar should travel in a natural curve...ending directly in your line of vision..i.e in line with your eyes as opposed to just over your chest.

When lowering the weight, the elbows should be square to the wrists and shoulders and perpendicular to the body.

I hope that's a decent/understandable explanation...it's just off the top of my head

Now for the questions you posed in the PM

Do i lay my head on the bench or lift it?
    Lay on the bench... the bench must support the head at all times...resist the urge to squirm.

is your lower body, waist down off the bench?
    Yes... from your middle back down is off the bench

how close should your head be when you look up towards the rack?
    You should far enough from the rack that your elbows don't bump into the crossbars when you lower the weight... and close enough the rack that you could unrack the weight yourself if you so desired.

Laying down on the bench...the bar should be about 2 inches from your direct line of vision before you unrack it...i.e. it should be directly in line with your upperchest

'tis just after 4am here..haven't slept yet..so PM me for more info..i'll reply in this thread

Later Bros

Nark, thanks for putting in the time to answer me, i got the idea now and ima try it on my next chest day...as far as my routine what exercise should i replace this with since ima do this exercise now...should i stop doing DB incline or BB incline? I do go heavy with low reps with a spotter

my current routine is as follows in order
    3 sets BB incline
    3 sets DB incline
    4 sets DB flat ( i switch to BB every 4 weeks or so) (I dont do alot of flat cuz my flat is pretty developed and strong, my goal is to get my upper chest bigger)
    3 sets incline flys
    3 sets weighted dips

What do you think is the best way to incorporate the neck prone exercise into this? Or any other suggestions is apprecaited i.e change the order, # of sets etc, thanks again bro

Quote Originally Posted by The Massacre
    John my friend, I beg to differ. I always do Incline BB first as it works the most valuable/biggest part of your chest the upper portion of it. I DO recommend that you do heavy bench right after though.
    that's what i said to do ya big goof!

Quote Originally Posted by DaGCHILD
    Nark, thanks for putting in the time to answer me, i got the idea now and ima try it on my next chest day...as far as my routine what exercise should i replace this with since ima do this exercise now...should i stop doing DB incline or BB incline? I do go heavy with low reps with a spotter

my current routine is as follows in order
    3 sets BB incline
    3 sets DB incline
    4 sets DB flat ( i switch to BB every 4 weeks or so) (I dont do alot of flat cuz my flat is pretty developed and strong, my goal is to get my upper chest bigger)
    3 sets incline flys
    3 sets weighted dips

What do you think is the best way to incorporate the neck prone exercise into this? Or any other suggestions is apprecaited i.e change the order, # of sets etc, thanks again bro
    i personally would replace the dumbell incline flyes with the neck press and see how you like it.

Personally...i'd cut down on the total number of exercises i did.

Pick two movements...namely two mass movements... one for the whole muscle group (flat dumbell) and an area specifice movement (i.e. presses to throat).

5 working sets of each is what i'd advise.

Intensity v.s. duration/volume

Make those two movements intense and get your ass outta the gym.

~Nark

Thread Information