J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member

Help targeting/isolating back

I wish it was my Bicepts or even Chest that was lacking, but its not it is my back and calves. The calves are getting better, but I have always had a hard time isolating my back. Bicepts and chest are so easy to target and get sore, I work my back just as much but am unable to get the same quality work out.

Anyone have any good advice on how to really feel your back working? I try to keep my arms when doing bent over rows in a position that I cannot use my arm strength to help with the weight. I’ve found its keeping them very close to my sides. I use slow and controlled movements but I need to figure this out so I can move more weight to develop a larger back!

I think back and legs are always over looked and I want to have proportion.

Right now I’m doing

Wide grip pull-ups
    Bent over rows
    1 arm mower pulls
    seated rows

Give some tips please! My work outs are going great but my back needs the help!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Rowing exercises are great, but 99% of the people do them wrong. They have all arms. The joint invovled is the shoulder joint, not the biceps. Therefore, you must squeeze your shoulder blades together and more importantly row them down/inwards for maximal contractions.
    Last edited by Hypertrophy; 04-09-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    deads
    t-bar rows or barbell rows
    pull-downs or pull-ups

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    deads
    t-bar rows or barbell rows
    pull-downs or pull-ups
    hell do em all!

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    weighted chins
    bent-rows
    deads

everything 3 sets 4-6reps is all you need if your intensity is crazy!! these IMO are the meat and potatoes for back! everthing else jsut makes you tired and slows recovery!!

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    weighted chins
    bent-rows
    deads

everything 3 sets 4-6reps is all you need if your intensity is crazy!! these IMO are the meat and potatoes for back! everthing else jsut makes you tired and slows recovery!!
    and some t-bar rows on the cable machine and heavy pulldowns.. And that will be all you need to see a change i your back trust me.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    Tomorow is back day, will try this. Going to try hard to pinch those blades, i'll start light get the feel and then blast them with wieght.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    sometimes i train w/ straps with back to feel the exercize better (even when i can grip the weight). another good technique is to have someone place their hands on your lat's while you do the movement, and another good way is to make sure you initiate the movement with your elbows and try to ignore your arms completely.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    if you're not a powerlifter i think straps will help gains with your back for sure! you can pull alot more weight! what i actually do for grip strength and stretching after back training is just hang from a chin bar as long as you can after the workout, and the next time you do it, just like a regular workout, progressively try to go longer!

Thread Information