butler44 is offline New Member

Dropping weight too slow?

Hey guys, its my first post but I have been reading up a lot on this site. Well i just started my 8 week off-season football workout. Im using this program because I like the way its set up and makes me work my ass off, I do play football but like I said these 8 weeks are not for my training for football, I just want to see what I can get out of it. I work out 5 days a week, wed. being my light workout day. I weigh in at about 200, I am 6'0 and I would say I do have a good amount of muscle underneath a thin layer of extra fat that I would like to get rid of.

My question: I have been running in the mornings at 6:30 am everyday for about 25 minutes, my run path is not flat, it has many steep hills so it makes me work hard. I usually do this type of run 4 times a week every morning. I then have classes and at 3 I hit the weight room. I start with a 15 min bike ride to get my muscles warmed up and then hit the weights for roughly 2 hours depending on what group of muscles I am working. I end my workout with a 1.5 mile cool down run. I am on a very strict diet and I do not eat anything after 6pm. Ive only been doing this for (laugh) 1 week. I feel that I am getting too paranoid with results, My weight has been fluctuating between 196-200 all week with no stable weight loss. Can you guys please tell me if this week was just my body getting used to my routine and losing water? Or am I doing something wrong.

P.S. I am on the EC stack for that extra boost. I sweat like a pig everytime I do cardio...feels like lbs of water is pouring from my body. Hopefully its paranoia and I should chill the **** out cuz its only been a week 8-)

Thanks guys, sorry for long post.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    First off you need to read the cutting sticky in the diet forum. This way you know that you are taking in the right foods at the right time. Then when you get that straight post you weight lifting program in here. With your age, weight, height, and goals for these next 8 weeks and future weeks. Its going to take more than eight weeks to see a big change.

Oh yeah read all the stickies in all the forums before you post. Most of the time you will find your answer. But ask away the more you learn the better you can get your body to do what you want. If you dont know there is a search button you can find any thread that has ever been posted. I have found most of my answers here.

Good luck Bro.

Edit- Does my workout need tuning?

Thanks for the reply man. I understand that 8 weeks will not be sufficient enough to see big results, but im going to work extremely hard these 8 weeks left of my senior year in high school. *SEARCH* haha ok will remember that one, sorry. I read the diet sticky and I feel that I meet it well..I need to buy more protein and consume more daily....but ill make those adjustments.

Stats: age: 19
    weight: 198 as of now
    height: 6'0
    goals: I want to get cut up so my muscles would show more while still
    pumping weights hard to get more strength.

Workout routine: Boarding school gym is limited

Monday:Morn-30 min run 6am

Afternoon 3pm hit gym
    15 min warmup bike

Bench Press flat bar
    Incline bench bar
    Flys Dbs
    Decline Bench Dbs
    Military press s-bar
    Upright rows standing s-bar
    Lateral delt raises sitting dbs
    Shrugs s-bar
    Tricepts Dbs
    - End with 15 min of abs
    - 1.5 mile cooldown run

Tuesday:Morn 30 min run
    Afternoon 3pm hit gym

15 min warmup bike
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Step ups Dbs
    Leg curls
    Leg extensions
    Calf lifts
    Lat pull downs forward/reverse grip
    Rows signle arms Dbs
    Bicep curls s-bar
    - end with 15 min abs
    - 1.5 mile cool down run

Wed. Program says day off, but I do:
    Morn:10 uphill sprints- about 60 yards

Afternoon hit gym 12:15pm
    15 min bike ride for muscle warm up

Skull Crushers
    Tricepts Dbs behind head
    Bicepts Dbs- light weight high reps
    -end with 15 min abs
    - 30 min run on path around campus-hills-flat

Thursday:Morn-30 min run 6am

Afternoon 3pm hit gym
    15 min warmup bike

Bench Press flat bar
    Incline bench bar
    Flys Dbs
    Decline Bench Dbs
    Military press s-bar
    Upright rows standing s-bar
    Lateral delt raises sitting dbs
    Shrugs s-bar
    Tricepts Dbs
    - End with 15 min of abs
    - 1.5 mile cooldown run

Friday: Morn 45 min bike

Afternoon 3pm hit gym
    15 min warmup bike

Squats
    Leg Press
    Lunges Dbs
    Leg curls
    Leg extensions
    Calf lifts
    Lat pull downs forward/reverse grip
    Rows signle arms Dbs
    Bicep curls s-bar
    - end with 15 min abs
    - 1.5 mile cool down run

That is my workout breakdown. I add some excercises to the days because I feel that the program is missing some of the important excercises for example the Leg extensions arent even mentioned, neither are the decline bench. I do 3x of all my excersices, I shoot for 10 reps but fail on some excercises towards end of workout.

Long post 8-) long time to write it. Advice always needed thank you.
    Last edited by butler44; 04-08-2005 at 07:58 PM.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, this program is not for football right? You, "just wanna see what you can get out of it?"
    Are you playing college ball next year?
    What are you goals for the program? It sounds like you are trying to maintain lean muscle and lose bodyfat, if so, that is a horrible program to follow.

Basically...what would you suggest? I will play hockey in colege tho

Here is what I have gathered:
    Monday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    Tuesday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Legs.Back/Bis
    Wednesday:
    AM Anaerobic Conditioning
    Mid-Day: Tri's/Bi's
    Thursday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weight: Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    Friday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Legs/Back/Bis's
    **Critique**
    1. AM Cardio is excellent for fat loss, provided that you stay within 65%-75% of you age predicted max heart rate, (130 - 157bpm for you). If you are within this range while running, then it will be beneficial. However, if you are beyond this range, especially in a fasted state, you will begin to break down proteins for fuel because you will have depleted your carbs. I would recommend a bike/precor for 45 minutes. The fat burning process starts about the 20 minute mark, therefore, 45 minutes is a much better duration. Also, if you last for 45 minutes, chances are, you are still in aerobic metabolism, meaning utilizing fat, and that is what you want!
    2. Drop the 1.5 mile cool down after lifting and have a shake ready that consists of a 2:1 ratio of dextrose to protein. Order dextrose here: www.kentnutrition.com
    The running after weight will be catabolic, besides, you have already performed AM cardio.
    3. You split isn't going to work too well. Legs, back in the same workout. There are a thousand splits on this site. Tell us how many days you want to lift in a week and we can tell you a split. Also, if you want to work everything twice a week, which I probably would not recommend while dieting, (because you are in a negative calorie balance) you will have to decrease your volume if you want to increase your frequency. Just some food for thought. 3 sets are good. Use a 10, 8, 6, rep scheme and increase weights each time.
    4. Your anaerobic work on wednesdays is ok, since you are going to play college hockey and need it. However, do not do it on an empty stomach. Your are going to be burning pure carbs, so make sure you eat some before and after to be used, so gluconeogenesis doesn't occur, hehe. I would snip the 30 minute postworkout run, again PWO shake here.
    5. 8 week is plenty of time to see drastic changes in ones physique, you just gotta have your ducks in a row. The biggest duck being DIET! So post that in the diet forum.
    So, "basically, this is what I recommend." Any questions?

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Here is what I have gathered:
    Monday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Chest/Shoulders/Tris
    Tuesday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Legs.Back/Bis
    Wednesday:
    AM Anaerobic Conditioning
    Mid-Day: Tri's/Bi's
    Thursday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weight: Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
    Friday:
    AM Cardio
    PM Weights: Legs/Back/Bis's
    **Critique**
    1. AM Cardio is excellent for fat loss, provided that you stay within 65%-75% of you age predicted max heart rate, (130 - 157bpm for you). If you are within this range while running, then it will be beneficial. However, if you are beyond this range, especially in a fasted state, you will begin to break down proteins for fuel because you will have depleted your carbs. I would recommend a bike/precor for 45 minutes. The fat burning process starts about the 20 minute mark, therefore, 45 minutes is a much better duration. Also, if you last for 45 minutes, chances are, you are still in aerobic metabolism, meaning utilizing fat, and that is what you want!
    2. Drop the 1.5 mile cool down after lifting and have a shake ready that consists of a 2:1 ratio of dextrose to protein. Order dextrose here: www.kentnutrition.com
    The running after weight will be catabolic, besides, you have already performed AM cardio.
    3. You split isn't going to work too well. Legs, back in the same workout. There are a thousand splits on this site. Tell us how many days you want to lift in a week and we can tell you a split. Also, if you want to work everything twice a week, which I probably would not recommend while dieting, (because you are in a negative calorie balance) you will have to decrease your volume if you want to increase your frequency. Just some food for thought. 3 sets are good. Use a 10, 8, 6, rep scheme and increase weights each time.
    4. Your anaerobic work on wednesdays is ok, since you are going to play college hockey and need it. However, do not do it on an empty stomach. Your are going to be burning pure carbs, so make sure you eat some before and after to be used, so gluconeogenesis doesn't occur, hehe. I would snip the 30 minute postworkout run, again PWO shake here.
    5. 8 week is plenty of time to see drastic changes in ones physique, you just gotta have your ducks in a row. The biggest duck being DIET! So post that in the diet forum.
    So, "basically, this is what I recommend." Any questions?
    very well put.
    8 weeks you can drop .5-1% bf a week w/ minimal if any loss of muscle this is 80% based on diet IMO.
    i would NEVER work out body part 2x a week unless i was bulking stupid hard and getting 10+ hrs sleep a night.

Thank you very much, that was exactly what I needed. Ok ill drop the run after workouts, honestly it is a very hard 1.5 mile run....Im ready to colapse by the end because its mostly uphill. Would you say that its better for me to do mostly bike riding in the gym on empty stomach for about 45min-1hr in the am, and do running maybe 2x in my 5 day workout? ill post my diet in the diet forumn.

The mode (bike/treadmill/precor, etc.) of cardio is not nearly as important and the intensity and duration. So, if you like the bike, ride it.

Thread Information