BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

The verdict on Rest Between Sets

I was curious to what the logic is behind planning rest between sets. I mean i know that you want to give enough rest for your ATP to build back up, but what is the benefit of waiting 3 min vs 5 min as so on.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    I was curious to what the logic is behind planning rest between sets. I mean i know that you want to give enough rest for your ATP to build back up, but what is the benefit of waiting 3 min vs 5 min as so on.

IMO past 3min you're niot going to recover anymore, your eergy stores are rejuvenated after about 3 min, more than that you're just loosing your pump and cooling the muscle down!

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    IMO past 3min you're niot going to recover anymore, your eergy stores are rejuvenated after about 3 min, more than that you're just loosing your pump and cooling the muscle down!
    yea ive heard the same thing, after about 2/3 mins ur fully recovered supposedly and sitting around longer just lets ur muscles get out of the routine....about 2 mins rest is optimal unless ur lifting for cardio/endurance type reasons...

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If you are trying to increase limit strength, then longer rest intervals are better... but if you are trying to fully fatigue the muscle's ATP/CP stores and trigger greater overall growth - than rest intervals under 60-90 seconds is best (dependent on the movement and bodypart). It depends on your current training cycle/goals...

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    If you are trying to increase limit strength, then longer rest intervals are better... but if you are trying to fully fatigue the muscle's ATP/CP stores and trigger greater overall growth - than rest intervals under 60-90 seconds is best (dependent on the movement and bodypart). It depends on your current training cycle/goals...
    what is the purpose of depleting the APT/CP stores in muscle growth

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by BWhitaker
    what is the purpose of depleting the APT/CP stores in muscle growth
    Wondering the same thing here...

znak is offline Senior Member
    I rest until my heart rate is more or less normal. Depending on the exercise and weight that takes between 20 seconds and 3 minutes. I sometimes take 5 minutes between sets... especially when I need to use the bathroom.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Resting times to me I could care less just like reps,numbers ect. I go when my body, mind tells me. Sure there are guidelines but I am more into the pump/feel then worrying about 60,90,120 or 180 seconds..

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Resting times to me I could care less just like reps,numbers ect. I go when my body, mind tells me. Sure there are guidelines but I am more into the pump/feel then worrying about 60,90,120 or 180 seconds..

just because you stay pumped doesnt mean your growing!

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    exactly the way i feel. Normally i go back into it when my breathing returns to near normal. one exercise may exhaust you more than another so you cant watch the clock on when to go back to the next set.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on what time of workout you are doing. Longer rests (over 2-3 minutes) allow you to do more weight, but your muscles may be less fatigued. Anything under 1 minute is only helping your muscles build a resistance to lactic acid.

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    am i buggin out but who takes 3 minutes imbetween sets... maybe exercises but not sets... three minutes, believe it or not is a long time. watch 1... 2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10... ok ill stop, the only time i ever took a three minute break was either when i was bull$hiting with my friends, on the cell phone (hahaha) or doing squats!!

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I do when i am tring to bench big or going real heavy on an exercise I take as long as 3-5 when i am maxing out. just depends on how quick my breathing returns to normal and how i feel. everyone is different but if i go from 275lbs bench and go right into 315 (max) in 1 minute i wont get it up more than 1 time as opposed to 3-4 with proper recovery time. I see the best mass gains waiting in between sets. I'm not trying to do a cardio weight program. I want to lift as heavy as possible.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Trainig Goal / Rest

Strength: 2-5 minutes
    Power: 2-5 minutes
    Hypertrophy: 30s-1.5 minutes
    Endurance: <30 seconds

ATP/CP is used during hypertrophy training, therefore, shorter rest periods are recommened to; totally deplete these energy stores. This threatens the energy available to the working muscle. The threatening of homeostasis causes the body to increase its energy transport capacity. When this occurs, the body stores more CP in the muscle cells, which enhances protein metabolism leading to hypertrophy. Theoritically, this is why high volume training/shorter rest intervals (30s-1.5m) are associated with hypertrophy.
    The CNS and ATP/CP stores are both used during maximal lifting. I will consider strength training maximal lifting due to the heavier weights associated with this style of training. The CNS takes longer to recover than the skeletal system. Longer rest periods are needed to fully recover the CNS and (ATP/CP system-usually recovered at the 3 minute mark). If these systems are under recovered, nerve impulses from the CNS and the energy needed from the APT/CP system will not be as great. Therefore, leading to less weight lifted. The main goal of strength training is to increase strength. Thats why 2-5 minutes is associated with this style of training.
    Hypertrophy and Strength training do correlate with each other. As the muscle hypertrophies, more myosin and actin form, leading to more contractile units. The more contractile units, the greater force. This why it is crucial to incorporate both styles of training into your program. Yes, rep ranges are important also!
    This is an old post of mine.

if trying to increase strength and max growth would the ideal rest time then be aprox. 1.5 min?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    just because you stay pumped doesnt mean your growing!
    True, but does your rest period you decide to do keep you always growing?? It is not all about growing but being overall a healthy person. When you have the amount of experience that I have and age then you would understand.

It is not all about growing but being overall a healthy person. When you have the amount of experience that I have and age then you would understand.
    Its all about different goals. Some people dont do it for health, it is just a byproduct of the training.

True, but does your rest period you decide to do keep you always growing?? It is not all about growing but being overall a healthy person. When you have the amount of experience that I have and age then you would understand.

exactly, so it doesnt apply to heavy lifters!

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    I do when i am tring to bench big or going real heavy on an exercise I take as long as 3-5 when i am maxing out. just depends on how quick my breathing returns to normal and how i feel. everyone is different but if i go from 275lbs bench and go right into 315 (max) in 1 minute i wont get it up more than 1 time as opposed to 3-4 with proper recovery time. I see the best mass gains waiting in between sets. I'm not trying to do a cardio weight program. I want to lift as heavy as possible.
    good point... me too!!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Trainig Goal / Rest

ATP/CP is used during hypertrophy training, therefore, shorter rest periods are recommened to; totally deplete these energy stores. This threatens the energy available to the working muscle. The threatening of homeostasis causes the body to increase its energy transport capacity. When this occurs, the body stores more CP in the muscle cells, which enhances protein metabolism leading to hypertrophy. Theoritically, this is why high volume training/shorter rest intervals (30s-1.5m) are associated with hypertrophy.
    The CNS and ATP/CP stores are both used during maximal lifting. I will consider strength training maximal lifting due to the heavier weights associated with this style of training. The CNS takes longer to recover than the skeletal system. Longer rest periods are needed to fully recover the CNS and (ATP/CP system-usually recovered at the 3 minute mark). If these systems are under recovered, nerve impulses from the CNS and the energy needed from the APT/CP system will not be as great. Therefore, leading to less weight lifted. The main goal of strength training is to increase strength. Thats why 2-5 minutes is associated with this style of training.
    Hypertrophy and Strength training do correlate with each other. As the muscle hypertrophies, more myosin and actin form, leading to more contractile units. The more contractile units, the greater force. This why it is crucial to incorporate both styles of training into your program. Yes, rep ranges are important also!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Trainig Goal / Rest

so what range would you say is best for hypertrophy in strength and hypertrophy correlate with each other?

Thread Information