Thread: deadlifts

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

deadlifts

when do you suggest to do them, 1st in back routine or last???

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    If you are talking about regular deads then many do in the beginning after a warmup like hyper extentions.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I prefer Rack Pulls.
    I do:
    Bar Bent Rows
    Chins
    Rack Pulls
    Seated Low Pulley Rows

ok another question.... should i use the powerlifter-grip (over and under) or both hands over??? the reason i ask is because i do not want uneven back and trap developement!

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    first on lowerback and hamstrings day.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    ok another question.... should i use the powerlifter-grip (over and under) or both hands over??? the reason i ask is because i do not want uneven back and trap developement!
    i use the alternate grip simply because i can lift alot more that way. My grip isnt good enough the other way.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I do them last, because after I'm done I usually want to puke, and feel sick for at least 20 minutes; same with squats. I could probably lift more if I did them first, but then the rest of my workout would go to hell because I'd be holding back.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    I do them first after some Hyperextension sets to warmup. And I usually use overhand grip until I hit the point where I need the powerlifter grip to go up in weight.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    either first in my back workout...

Or 1st in my hamstring workout.... powerlifter's grip

cjp85 is offline Member
    I think it depends on how much you are developed in the areas that deads work the most. I worked out for a few months before I started doing deads and when I first started doing them, I was done. Way too sore to get good sets of rows and pull-ups in, so I started doing them last in my workout. After I started developing from them I started doing them first and get much better sets done because I'm not already sore. The rest of the workout is still harder after deads, but I can still manage quality sets.

cjp85 is offline Member
    And if you're worried about your grip, just switch your grip every set. Once you start going heavier it will become much harder to use both hands overhand, so I would suggest learning the over/under grip and switching every set or getting some straps.

well i do use straps but i still find that i can use heavier wieght using the over/under grip vs. the over/over grip, but i dont want to develope uneven! thats my only worry about the powerlifter grip! could this even happen tho?

also with 4-6reps should a belt be a must??? i dont go to absolute failure when doing deads becasue i dont want to hurt my back so is it really necessary???

cjp85 is offline Member
    If you switch your grip every set there shouldn't be a problem at all. Unless your trying to lift a very heavy weight, I wouldn't use the belt. Not using a belt will develop muscles that stabilize you and belts tend to keep your core from being worked as much during the excercise.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I use straps (broke the little finger on both hands so my grip is not up to holding that much weight with three fingers.)

I also use a belt on the last two sets. I lifted for a couple years without a belt and found that it was really thickening my waist and I was getting kind of boxy.

I do them first on lower back/hams day.

I know what symatech is talking about, so I take a five minute break to get my pulse down after deads before my next exercise. I typically look like I have taken a shower after them.

I be one sweaty mofo!

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    I use straps (broke the little finger on both hands so my grip is not up to holding that much weight with three fingers.)

I also use a belt on the last two sets. I lifted for a couple years without a belt and found that it was really thickening my waist and I was getting kind of boxy.

I do them first on lower back/hams day.

I know what symatech is talking about, so I take a five minute break to get my pulse down after deads before my next exercise. I typically look like I have taken a shower after them.

I be one sweaty mofo!

thats what i do not want! i want to keep my waiste as small as possible!

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i was usins straps for awhile and i do not recommend it. my grip stregth really went to **** over the course of like 1.5-2 months using straps. i just use an overhand grip until i hit 225 (my second warmup set) and then use an alternating grip and change it every time.

Dozerd is offline Junior Member
    First on back day. I use power lifter grip no staps or belt. I do reps until i go over 315. Then i do singles. Meaning I stand up after evey lift for 2secs bend down regrip and lift.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    I do them last, because after I'm done I usually want to puke, and feel sick for at least 20 minutes; same with squats. I could probably lift more if I did them first, but then the rest of my workout would go to hell because I'd be holding back.
    Yup, after dead lifts its over for me.
    But I like to do squats first, they dont get me wore out like deads do!

you gotta find out what works for you best and go from there!

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    when do you suggest to do them, 1st in back routine or last???
    First but I usually have to take it easy for a while after before I tear back in to the weights. I might just sit and have some water. I know i shouldnt sit but **** they kick my ass.

Thread Information