DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member

free weights or machines for MASS

Hey, i got into an argument with a friend of mine. Need to clear this up.

He says that using machines/cable equipment is much better to get bigger and gain mass.

I say using free weights, barbells' dumb bells and heavy compound movements are much better than machines.

Need some opinions and support so i can prove his ass wrong! Thanks

SayHelotomylilFriend is offline Associate Member
    I would say Free dumbell brbell ar better for mass but I think that Machine are very helpfull too

Free weights are a lot better for mass.

Mach1 is offline Junior Member
    Free weights

cjp85 is offline Member
    Free weights all the way. Machines do have their place though.

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    Machines are perfect after the free weights. The free weights will use more stabilizer muscles and when their completely burnt out, Machines will push your actual muscle much further.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldwannab
    Machines are perfect after the free weights. The free weights will use more stabilizer muscles and when their completely burnt out, Machines will push your actual muscle much further.

That's a good way to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    That's a good way to think about it.
    Actually I have found when i am finished my workout and i want to throw one more thing in there just to burn out, I'll jump on the hammer machine and, with light weights, squeeze the hell out of that particular muscle and get a much better pump vs. doing the same movement with freeweights. I give it a

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    just tell him he is fukin stupid and wrong and walk away

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    just tell him that free weights tear down more muscle because of the stabilization required. more muscle torn down, more hormones released. sorry, but no way in **** can machines cause your body to release as much hormones as the squat, deadlift, and bench . no way in **** ****ing ****it can machines tax the body as much as freeweights. and end it with machines wont do anything free weights cant do. and no, machines dont fukng "tone" or "shape" the muscle
    Last edited by IronReload04; 04-14-2005 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    just tell him that free weights tear down more muscle because of the stabilization required. more muscle torn down, more hormones released. sorry, but no way in **** can machines cause your body to release as much hormones as the squat, deadlift, and bench . no way in **** ****ing ****it can machines tax the body as much as freeweights. and end it with machines wont do anything free weights cant do. and no, machines dont fukng "tone" or "shape" the muscle
    1st of all, no one said anything about "toning or shaping muscles". I am simply saying that after a workout with free weights, It feels ****ing good to hit the machine and not have to worry about using other stabilizer muscles, that way you can target the muscle you wish to work out for a more concentrated contraction.
    2nd, who is arguing with you about hormones being released? I do agree that free weights are best but as cjp85 so stated "machines do have their place."

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Free weights are obviously much better for compound movements, machines definitely better for isolated ones...As far as mass, if I had to choose it would be free weights hands down. Ever try a deadlift on a machine?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    free weights

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldwannab
    1st of all, no one said anything about "toning or shaping muscles". I am simply saying that after a workout with free weights, It feels ****ing good to hit the machine and not have to worry about using other stabilizer muscles, that way you can target the muscle you wish to work out for a more concentrated contraction.
    2nd, who is arguing with you about hormones being released? I do agree that free weights are best but as cjp85 so stated "machines do have their place."
    i have been doin dc for a while now, and it is now mho that a couple sets of a compound movement is all the growth signal you need. machines just prolong recovery, the signal to grow is already there with the compound movements, let alone 1 set.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    Free weights are obviously much better for compound movements, machines definitely better for isolated ones...As far as mass, if I had to choose it would be free weights hands down. Ever try a deadlift on a machine?

There is a Hammer Strength machine that is actually pretty good.

I still do it the old fasioned way, but I would use that machine without worrying too much about compromising overall strength.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Just look around your gym and the question will answer itself. Where do the big boys hang out and where are the Mr Skinny's? nuff said...Free weights hands down

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    There is a Hammer Strength machine that is actually pretty good.

I still do it the old fasioned way, but I would use that machine without worrying too much about compromising overall strength.
    Good point, I didn't think about that. I guess all other things still considered equal, forcing your body to utilize stablizers would give free weights the edge still. Plus, chicks think it's hot

Diesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Hammer Strength Machines are as close to free weight movements as you can get for a 'machine'.

Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    Just look around your gym and the question will answer itself. Where do the big boys hang out and where are the Mr Skinny's? nuff said...Free weights hands down
    can i get an amen. that is if your gym hasbig boys in the first place

Thread Information