SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

Arrow GOLDEN RULE for biceps/triceps.....

Lately in the workout forum here, one can view a plethora of bicep/tricep and other smaller bodypart threads, asking for the best exercises/frequency/techniques for each. While that is definitely needed to grow those parts, I'd just like to hammer home an important point that I hope all of those w/these questions are addressing.

Remember to include MASS movements. SQUATS/LEG PRESS are #1. A close second come DEADLIFTS. Last but not least, big basic ROWING movements for the entire area opposite of your chest (BACK). It may seem obvious to some, but realize that doing these FORCE your ENTIRE body to get bigger, not just one specific part. When you make the front of your upper body grow (chest/sh), the back of your upper body grow (back), and your foundation grow (legs=support), you are becoming a "bigger" person in general, who's basic frame and structure are growing larger. (Not just one specific area) Now, those smaller bodyparts when they are worked will have a much easier time "deciding" to get bigger because you are sending that constant message to "catch up" through the rest of those entire-body mass movers.

I realize this is almost like my "Todays Obvious Training Reminder" thread in some regards, however I felt it to be extremely pertinent to relate this to the bicep/tricep threads as of late. If you already incorporate the above concepts, then you are well on your way! If you aren't, you may wish to drop a few sets of the arm/smaller body-part work, and throw in some of the above to change "who" you are.

Peace!!!!!

~SC~

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

AVAGO is offline Member
    Nice Swole

excellent point!! I've also noticed that when you start really hammering out your big compound movements that you almost dont even have to go crazy on your arms. You could stop your sets before failure and only do 2 exercises per bicep/tricep routine and still grow, as long as you are sending that signal to your entire body like you said.

Indeed.

I used to do like 9-12 sets for bi's, and work chest like a madman, and neglect legs.

It wasn't until I worked my lower body as the focus along w/big upper body movements that I began to realize I could do 5-6 all out sets of bi's a week, and get them even BIGGER!

~SC~

When I first started deadlifting I threw a 1/2" on my arms quicker than all hell, and neglected bicep training altogether for about a month and a half!! They still grew. Another trick I like to do when I hit sticking points is to cut my bicep workouts down to once every 10 days for about a 6-8 week stretch.

Nice post

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice post....it took me 8 months to realize this too. Thats when I did my 1st set of deadlifts ever and 1st squat ever. I never touched my legs one time in 8 months and 2 cycles. Not to mention i have used the Swole bicep protocol and tricep protocol. Heavy core movements. ie.. straight bar curl, hammer curl, skull crusher, close grip bench, db french press. I have put on 1 1/2 inches in my arms in 6-8 weeks. After reading swoles posts constantly here or there about triggering your brain or CNS to proportion the rest of your upper body once your lower body grows I realized it makes sense. I think thats why guys get stuck in a rut sometimes.

btw..thanks swole for all the free advice you give all of us.

You are entirely welcome.

~SC~

Biggest my arms ever got was on 3 sets of Bi's and 3 sets of Tri's a week.

That's a fact!

Luminaire is offline Associate Member
    lol only 3 sets dam nigga!

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a bit confused about your statement on changing the overall frame of your body. I've often wanted to widen my chest (spread the rib cage or what have you) but haven't been succesful. Is this the type of change in frame you are refering to? If so, can you provide non-muscle related tips? Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Careful bro...you might want to edit that

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah swole thank you for the post. If you dont row you dont grow, Todays obvius training reminder, and pleny more pop into my head when I think about threads that really made a big change in my body. Most of these guys dont search enough. They are just to lazy. But hell keep em coming we all need the reminders here and there.

Thanks again SWOLE

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    I'm a bit confused about your statement on changing the overall frame of your body. I've often wanted to widen my chest (spread the rib cage or what have you) but haven't been succesful. Is this the type of change in frame you are refering to? If so, can you provide non-muscle related tips? Thanks bro.
    I didn't mean bigger as in bones or stretching your frame.

I meant bigger as in you entire muscular structure getting bigger. When bigger muscles grow larger, it's much easier for smaller ones to follow in their footsteps.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I didn't mean bigger as in bones or stretching your frame.

I meant bigger as in you entire muscular structure getting bigger. When bigger muscles grow larger, it's much easier for smaller ones to follow in their footsteps.

~SC~
    I see, I was a little tired when I read that, so I just misinterpreted it. Do you think what you are saying is based on hormone release, or simply the fact that muscles work together, so when one muscle is stronger it enables other muscles to lift more?

Also, what is your opinion on working a muscle(s) to absolute failure everytime you workout?

Hormonal release and adaptation.

I don't believe in failure every time out, no.

~SC~

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Grow up, this is not the 19th century. Mods take notice of this racist moron.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Remember that what ever you do with deadlifts and squatting. I trained very heavy using power movement and have been injured for 3 years, back problems.

Eating is what will help you gain mass and is the first golden rule.

I am 210 pounds right now at 5 feet 10 i train moderate with good forms, don't use steroids and have a very good physique.

Paullusion is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Grow up, this is not the 19th century. Mods take notice of this racist moron.
    chill dude. he wasn't being racist.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Indeed.

I used to do like 9-12 sets for bi's, and work chest like a madman, and neglect legs.

It wasn't until I worked my lower body as the focus along w/big upper body movements that I began to realize I could do 5-6 all out sets of bi's a week, and get them even BIGGER!

~SC~

i wish the people posting their arm routine training them 2x a week 8+ exersizes could get this through their head..oh well

btw..just wait tilll someone posts the...well, it doesnt work for ME. i have to train 2x a week

roflmao!

guys listen to swole. ive been there done this as well and always do after wasting time doing other things. this is dead on. big benches, heavy rows and deads, heavy squats...those ARE what build arms and calves. put down your cable curls and listen up...

dont be the hardheaded person that wont listen. if this method isnt working for you, your not doing it right.

Thanks BB! Hopefully your words here as a seasoned vetaran of the game will contribute even more influence!

~SC~

YYZ
    YYZ is offline Junior Member
    you never see big branches on small trees.

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ
    I'm going to have to use this one!!!!!!!

~SC~

nice analogy!!!

soontoberipped is offline Associate Member
    Big fan of that comment.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by soontoberipped
    Big fan of that comment.
    i dont know i heard that there are some "Azn'' trees that have a huge branch =/

thats about one of the best analagies ive heard in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    thats about one of the best analagies ive heard in a long time

I will add this to my analogy repertoire for sure...

Thread Information