HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

reps range for squats and deads

ive read 2 different theories on this, 1st being for these exercises you should use a higher rep range like 15-20, because of the amount of weight and also the type of movement(basically full body) on these exercises taken to that many reps will cause a huge increase of hormones and HGH and also of course growth in that area. I've also read that you should use the tride and true heavy low reps like anywhere from 4-10... can someone who knows the optimum rep range for these exercises help clear this up...

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    i always stay low, squats i might try and go about 8 or so and deads i stick to about 6 .....

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    doing high rep deads can be dangerous. Hard to keep the form perfect when high repping in that exercise.

For squats I think anything betwen 1-50 reps is fine I notice more growth on myself when I keep the squats and other heavy leg exercises to fewer reps and do the high rep stuff in the hack or leg exstension.

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    based on info from swolecats leg protocol. he recommends doing 5 sets of leg ext, leg curl, and squats in a rep range of 15 physically and an extra 5 mentally for a total of 20. i'm sure there are always times for variation like anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    based on info from swolecats leg protocol. he recommends doing 5 sets of leg ext, leg curl, and squats in a rep range of 15 physically and an extra 5 mentally for a total of 20. i'm sure there are always times for variation like anything else.

is that was he advises for every leg day or for shock training like once every couple months??? i asked in that thread but got no response...

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    is that was he advises for every leg day or for shock training like once every couple months??? i asked in that thread but got no response...

that i dont know. for me almost all my routines are shock training. I change up exercises every 8 weeks or so. we'll wait to here from the swolecat on this.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    15 to 6 for me hate the 15s

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Swole's routine was a shock routine for use for a couple of months as a break from heavy, heavy squats. I tried it for 8 weeks and it worked really well...more definition and more strength. I personnally try to mix the two theories for squats; I do high reps (12-15) for my first two sets to really get a pump going and properly warm up my knees, then I bring the reps down to 8-10 for the heavy sets. I may even crank out 3 rep sets for the really heavy final set. For deads, I have only done these a couple of times, but I liked 8-10 reps. I was NOT lifting really heavy though as I do not have much experience with deads.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    i got a buddy and yes he juices moderatly but he is a monster. he is about i beleive 218lbs right now @ 8% body fat and while thats not all that great he is only 5ft6-7
    he is about 42 and all his training is in the 12+rep range all the time all real slow controled reps.. and he looks SICK... Explain that.. high volume rep scheme year round and he is THICK...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    I did respond, check again.

~SC~

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    i got a buddy and yes he juices moderatly but he is a monster. he is about i beleive 218lbs right now @ 8% body fat and while thats not all that great he is only 5ft6-7
    he is about 42 and all his training is in the 12+rep range all the time all real slow controled reps.. and he looks SICK... Explain that.. high volume rep scheme year round and he is THICK...
    Because he's working the MUSCLES, not the joints and tendons w/incorrect form as many do just to "lift heavy" and show-off.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I did respond, check again.

~SC~
    i know but at the time you didnt

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Because he's working the MUSCLES, not the joints and tendons w/incorrect form as many do just to "lift heavy" and show-off.

~SC~
    well yeah i can grasp the concenpt of how going slow takes away momentum and increases work load but i still dont understand?? how this causes growth when going high rep doesnt send as strong a signal to grow as heavy weight does ??and yes my wording sux.. they are having schollarship interveiws at my building and LOTSA hotties all over OMG 19yr old HOTTIES everywhere
    ima lie say im on the board and if they sleep w/ me they will get full ride

Thread Information