Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

smith machne bent over row?

should i stand further back from the bar , and bend over completly, or stand right behind the bar, almost in a squat position, n then lift it liek that?? ne one have a video or a pic?

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    should i stand further back from the bar , and bend over completly, or stand right behind the bar, almost in a squat position, n then lift it liek that?? ne one have a video or a pic?
    What about doing it with a barbell and some plates? (Freeweights)

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    F*ck the smith machine. If you want to gain some real muscle use freeweight excersises.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    i honestly cant see why you would want to use a smith machine for bent over rows.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Your bend can be either a 90deg or 45 deg. I prefere the 45 deg as less chance for injury imo. How far you stand away from the bar is determined by a few factors such as arm length, height ect. The only thing you need to know is where to bring the bar up. If you are bringing the bar up to your nipples then most likely you are too far away. The correct placement is the lower pec, upper adominal wall area. Some evan say the gut area. Holding the bar at a wider grip you can bring your scapular backwards and hit the rear delts really good. I disagree that the smith machine is a waste. Perhaps it may not be quite as good as a free O bar but nervertheless still useful escpecially if your other secondary muscle are weak because your form will surley suffer. By allowing the use a the smith you can use heavier weight concentrating on the intended targeted primary muscle which in this case is the lattissmus dorsi, with secondary erector spinae,bi's,traps and forearms.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    i just use the smith because i just started doing this exercise n wanna buildup strength before i do free weights, i am currently doing the same thing with squats, all in due time my friends, all in do time

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    I try to stay away from the smith machine. If your form is suffering just drop some weight untill you get your form right.
    That machine is good for some things but not bent over rows.
    The whole point is to work you whole back to me the machine would isolate a certain muscle group thus killing the whole point of the workout completly.
    If you want to isolate the upper just do some bent over rear raises.

Do it with a berbell and you'll see. "You gotta row to grow" Find this thread and you'll grow trust me.
    Would you do deads on a smith? I would hope not. So dont do bent over rows on one either. Rows work the whole back .The smith would be easier but it shouldn't be easy. Suck it up and row.

Have a good day!

Thread Information