HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

periodization:strength phase?

should the strength phase in periodization training have reps in the range of 4-6 or lower??? each time i read about this training it's different rep ranges involved, ive read 4-6 which is higher than i thought for this phase, and ive read like 2-4 so which will offer the optimal range to gain strength, and to be effective when the hypertrophy phase comes into play...?

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

personally

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    should the strength phase in periodization training have reps in the range of 4-6 or lower??? each time i read about this training it's different rep ranges involved, ive read 4-6 which is higher than i thought for this phase, and ive read like 2-4 so which will offer the optimal range to gain strength, and to be effective when the hypertrophy phase comes into play...?
    i used the 4-6 range for 6 weeks and my #'s went up each week. i like it because there is complete focus on each rep. i want to use this style year round as it worked wonders for my density and strength, but it's draining for me at least. i know dugdale and those gusy use it, liek a hybrid of HIT and say they only train in that style. i think for me being an ectomorph it's very taking on my nervouse system to do it year round especialy in the winter as i am as getting the flu at least once anyway.
    when i went back to hypertrophy training all my #'s were up in the 8-10 range.
    that's my experience with it.
    it was two sets of WU's for the first exercise then 2-3 sets of 4-6 on 3 exercises with no WU's on the last two movements. sorta like max-ot training

Aboot is offline Banned
    Honestly, I'd try to keep it to 2-4. If you go up to 6 it's not a big deal, but I'd try to hold it to a max of four reps.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    do 4-6 reps, train hard for 8 weeks then take a week break then repeat, i find this works best for me

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Strentgh phase maybe six on the first or warmup set but 3 or 4 on working sets.

do you guys think the HST(hypertrophy specific training) whcih is basically like non-linear periodizatin where you change rep ranges every week like this; each coma represents a week... 15reps,12,10,8,6,4,2, week off then up weight slightly for next cycle, or is the straight 4-6 weeks hypertrophy and 4-6weeks strength more effective in adding mass???

????

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    do you guys think the HST(hypertrophy specific training) whcih is basically like non-linear periodizatin where you change rep ranges every week like this; each coma represents a week... 15reps,12,10,8,6,4,2, week off then up weight slightly for next cycle, or is the straight 4-6 weeks hypertrophy and 4-6weeks strength more effective in adding mass???
    dont like that too complicated
    i do 3-5 reps on heavy cycle
    and 8-12 on mod/leaning out cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    dont like that too complicated
    i do 3-5 reps on heavy cycle
    and 8-12 on mod/leaning out cycle.

so are you saying that a month cycle (give or take a couple weeks) of just strength training and then a months cycle of just hypertrophy training would be the best approach to take with periodization to increase muscle mass???
    also using this approach, how many sets should be used in each phase???

Thread Information