Essy is offline Associate Member

more or less reps

When you are on a cutting dieting do you do more or less reps? When I am not on a cutting diet I usually do around 6-10 reps. Now that I am cutting should I be doing less reps?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Many stay the same but I think you may wish to increase to 10-15 depending on which muscle. Cutting usually indicates some loss of strength to go along with it..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I lift the same year-round to keep sending the same message to the muscles.

~SC~

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    cutting is in your diet & cardio

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    Many stay the same but I think you may wish to increase to 10-15 depending on which muscle. Cutting usually indicates some loss of strength to go along with it..

people end up loosing alot of strength do to that reason, thinking that doing higher reps will cut them up more! WRONG! it'll only end up making you smaller!

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    people end up loosing alot of strength do to that reason, thinking that doing higher reps will cut them up more! WRONG! it'll only end up making you smaller!

yeah!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    You are wrong bro, you are copycating what SC said like a little puppy . SC is in another league compared to most, therefore his stretegy may work for him and it may also work for others . What you are saying is when you cut your diet and start loosing lbs evan if it is fat that you can continue to lift lower rep higher poundages WITHOUT loosing any strength?? I think not. Besides, higher reps does not mean a loss of strength escpecially in the 10-15 range I mentioned. I also took into account which muscle. Yes, higher reps can equall less size but not a loss of size. Besides, staying stale with the same routine whether higher rep or low rep is foolish unless continued progress is there. And by the way I never said that higher reps will "cut" like you misconstrued what I was saying. He asked about training in regards to cutting. Diet and cardio does this and you can also get your heart rate up by doing higher reps superset, tri or giant sets. There is always more than one path towards success not the straight and narrow. Hollywood, this is not a flame but I am defending myself on the statement that you implied what I said. My replies comes from experience not what others say , so if you have the experience of cutting and keeping your lifting routine the same as always then you can speak of loosing strength when you up the reps. Nutritional needs are just as important to strength as lifting protocols and when one diets/cardio for cutting then something has to change.
    Last edited by bluethunder; 04-21-2005 at 08:28 AM.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essy
    When you are on a cutting dieting do you do more or less reps? When I am not on a cutting diet I usually do around 6-10 reps. Now that I am cutting should I be doing less reps?
    I would stay the same on the compound movements,but on the fancy smancy lifts I would say the 10-15 rep range so will start to define nicely. Jmo

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    You are wrong bro, you are copycating what SC said like a little puppy . SC is in another league compared to most, therefore his stretegy may work for him and it may also work for others . What you are saying is when you cut your diet and start loosing lbs evan if it is fat that you can continue to lift lower rep higher poundages WITHOUT loosing any strength?? I think not. Besides, higher reps does not mean a loss of strength escpecially in the 10-15 range I mentioned. I also took into account which muscle. Yes, higher reps can equall less size but not a loss of size. Besides, staying stale with the same routine whether higher rep or low rep is foolish unless continued progress is there. And by the way I never said that higher reps will "cut" like you misconstrued what I was saying. He asked about training in regards to cutting. Diet and cardio does this and you can also get your heart rate up by doing higher reps superset, tri or giant sets. There is always more than one path towards success not the straight and narrow. Hollywood, this is not a flame but I am defending myself on the statement that you implied what I said. My replies comes from experience not what others say , so if you have the experience of cutting and keeping your lifting routine the same as always then you can speak of loosing strength when you up the reps. Nutritional needs are just as important to strength as lifting protocols and when one diets/cardio for cutting then something has to change.

nope actually you're wrong! when i was dieting i lost maybe 5-10 pounds only on a couple exercsie like 2 or 3 tops, and the reason i didnt lose much strength is because i stayed heavy and intense and didnt raise my reps like some people do ! o and by the way, I FOLLOW NO ONE! i just take good advice when it's thrown my way. and ya it is a flame, you cant call someone a follower and a little puppy and expect them not to take as a flame!

ask ronnie coleman if he looses much strength when cutting!!! then ask him why, and he'll tell you it's becasue he keeps his training the same year round!

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Essy
    I would keep it the same. Just try to match your weights from week to week. This can be challenging if you are truly cutting bodyfat. I do not think it is a good idea to increase reps. By doing this your are increasing your total volume while simultaneously decreasing your energy uptake (calories), this makes no sense to do. Keep training heavy. . .

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    ima kinda agree w/ this i know that doing 5 or less reps seems to be a waste when your in a calorie deficite... or for me it was

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    more reps will help you on a cutting diet, getting smaller is losing BF for us "humans" not SC.

I do 4-6 reps w/ a heavy weight for most exercizes

Thread Information