HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

stickly mass for chest ...

ok my current chest routine looks something like this;

incline bench
    flat dumbell press
    incline flyes
    cable flyes

my question is if im trying to increase upper body mass and also chest thickness should substitute flat dumbell press for flat bench?

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    ok my current chest routine looks something like this;

incline bench>>>>>>>>>do it with bb
    flat dumbell press>>>>>>>>looks good
    incline flyes>>>>>>>>>>>looks good
    cable flyes>>>>>>>>>>>>>cable cross overs with controled movements

my question is if im trying to increase upper body mass and also chest thickness should substitute flat dumbell press for flat bench?
    this is what I do most of the time except for the occasional shock. It has put alot of mass on me. When I have a good diet that is.

Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    this is what I do most of the time except for the occasional shock. It has put alot of mass on me. When I have a good diet that is.
    my first incline is with a barbell, does anybody think that my overall upper body mass and overall chest mass would increase slightly if i were to sub flat db's for flat bb press?
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 04-20-2005 at 07:16 PM.

bumpity bump bump!

I think you should stick with dumbells on flat bench and every once in a while switch to bb just to shock your muscles.

Your upper body is going to take more than db or bb flat bench to make it grow.

I guess to answer your question more directly flat bench bb or db is not going to add mass. Doing inlcline bb will add mass and do it first so you can do maximal weight on every set. This is what will add mass for me you can try it or not try it its up to you bro.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by brew035; 04-20-2005 at 07:59 PM.

BlueAndromeda73 is offline Senior Member
    I do almost the exact same thing except add incline db presses, 3 sets, and I have been growing quite good lately but as mentioned above you also have to be eating good. Also on my bb exercises I like to do 3 workout sets then one heavy set to finish it off I feel like this has helped a lot recently. Good luck to you hope this helps.

im actually thinking about taking out incline flyes and adding in hammer strength incline press, my reasoning for this is becasue the overload potential for this exercise un like flyes becasue it is basically a one joint exercise when the hammer strength is a compound movement, also after the first 2 freeweight exercises are completed, all my stabilizers are toast and ever my chest, so i beleive that a machine liket he hammer strength incline will help push my chest to it's limits without my stabilizers failing before chest! what are your thoughts about this???

im actually thinking about taking out incline flyes and adding in hammer strength incline press, my reasoning for this is becasue the overload potential for this exercise un like flyes becasue it is basically a one joint exercise when the hammer strength is a compound movement, also after the first 2 freeweight exercises are completed, all my stabilizers are toast and ever my chest, so i beleive that a machine liket he hammer strength incline will help push my chest to it's limits without my stabilizers failing before chest! what are your thoughts about this???
    If you want to add mass I would not take the flys out. Maybe switch every 1 or 2 weeks with the hammer strength incline.
    But I do get your reasoning behind it it would help isolate the chest more. I love those machines sometimes I'll do drop sets with hammer stength incline, decline, regular. It burns so bad and makes me ****ing sore as all hell for a few days.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    I guess to answer your question more directly flat bench bb or db is not going to add mass. Doing inlcline bb will add mass and do it first so you can do maximal weight on every set.
    could you explain your reasoning here... Flat bench press is usually a staple of mass building for most people.

I didnt mean not do them at all. I just ment do incline first if you want your chest to get bigger.
    Sorry I read you question wrong earlier. To really answer your question db will add more thickness on flat bench. I've lost my mind you will have to bear with me untill I find it.LOL

diesel21 is offline Member
    look good swicth it up every week, (the order) do everything nice and slow and by your 2nd exercise, your chest will be expolding!

Quote Originally Posted by diesel21
    look good swicth it up every week, (the order) do everything nice and slow and by your 2nd exercise, your chest will be expolding!

well it is every workout, i was just wondering that if i were to switch to flat bb, if it would give that extra little edge to help put a litttle more mass on!

Klossus is offline Associate Member
    although there are already a lot of opinions i like this thread, i'm subscribing, mas mas mas!

well it is every workout, i was just wondering that if i were to switch to flat bb, if it would give that extra little edge to help put a litttle more mass on!
    Yes bb will make you wider while db will make you thicker!

Thread Information