HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member

non-linear periodization

for non linear periodization, would the rep ranges be too close to eachother to have a periodization effect when doing something like this...

week1- 8-10 reps
    week2- 6-8reps
    week3- 4-6reps
    week4- 2-4reps

are these ranges too close to one another, or because they are close to each other, will they have an indirect progressive effect for the following range???

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    for non linear periodization, would the rep ranges be too close to eachother to have a periodization effect when doing something like this...

week1- 8-10 reps
    week2- 6-8reps
    week3- 4-6reps
    week4- 2-4reps

are these ranges too close to one another, or because they are close to each other, will they have an indirect progressive effect for the following range???

hope this helps,(just wrote a paper on this)

basically there is little scientific research to prove that frequestly varrying your rounties is a more effective method of working out then programs that dont.

however people say that periodized programs are more advantageous (sp?) for developing muslce strength and power, but not certain about more muscle growth.

ex of program
    Change your rep range every month for 5 months then vary rep ranges every week for 5 months.

week 1-4 reps 12-15
    week 5-8 reps 10-12
    week 9-12 reps 8-10
    week 13-16 reps 6-8
    week 17-20 reps 4-6
    week 21 reps 10-12
    week 22 reps 6-8

Ive never tried it. you dont wanna do 2-4 reps. ranges arent close together.

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    not to be a dick but their is research that suggest that non linear periodization
    is more effective in improving strength. as well as there is reasearch that suggest that their is no difference between it and linear. However I agree that the rep range are to close. an example would be four sets with a 6rm on the first training day or week, then 3 sets with 10rm on the second, then go to five sets with a 3rm. This type of training can vary with in the week or each microcycle. which ever you prefer
    Last edited by 4U2NV; 04-22-2005 at 12:39 AM.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    research or not i tend to do grow pretty well off alternating heavy then moderate rep ranges every other workouts for my muscles....ex. week1 back workout has rep ranges of 5-7 reps. then week2 back workout has rep ranges of 10-12 ....and so on....

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Man I agree I actual follow a linear periodization for myself. But I have try the non linear and it is definetly a different feel. I just chose to do it to mix things up, not that its the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV
    not to be a dick but their is research that suggest that non linear periodization
    is more effective in improving strength. as well as there is reasearch that suggest that their is no difference between it and linear. However I agree that the rep range are to close. an example would be four sets with a 6rm on the first training day or week, then 3 sets with 10rm on the second, then go to five sets with a 3rm. This type of training can vary with in the week or each microcycle. which ever you prefer

they have prooved that non-linear is more superior to linear! as you're on the strength cycle, your body does not tend to keep all the muscle developed during the hypertrophy phase and vise versa!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I agree with Jantzen4 no need to change every week but a month+..

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member

week1- 8-10 reps
    week2- 6-8reps
    week3- 4-6reps
    week4- 2-4reps

That's not a non-linear periodization. . .that's linear. You are going from high volume lower intesnity, to low low volume very high intensity.
    4U2NV: an example would be four sets with a 6rm on the first training day or week, then 3 sets with 10rm on the second, then go to five sets with a 3rm. This is right, it is non-linear.
    I experimented with non-linear. It was very akward, and it leads to no end goal.
    Linear is the way to go in my opinion. The strength phases gets you stronger enabling you to lift more total volume (poundage), when transitioning back to the hypertrophy phase, thus stimulating greater hypertrophy!
    There is plenty of research to support periodization. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    That's not a non-linear periodization. . .that's linear. You are going from high volume lower intesnity, to low low volume very high intensity.
    4U2NV: an example would be four sets with a 6rm on the first training day or week, then 3 sets with 10rm on the second, then go to five sets with a 3rm. This is right, it is non-linear.
    I experimented with non-linear. It was very akward, and it leads to no end goal.
    Linear is the way to go in my opinion. The strength phases gets you stronger enabling you to lift more total volume (poundage), when transitioning back to the hypertrophy phase, thus stimulating greater hypertrophy!
    There is plenty of research to support periodization. . .

i have been reading about this and, there are studies that show when you go from a strength phase to hypertrophy phase, or hypertrophy phase to strength phase, you will loose strength or what you've gainied during your grow phase...

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    i have been reading about this and, there are studies that show when you go from a strength phase to hypertrophy phase, or hypertrophy phase to strength phase, you will loose strength or what you've gainied during your grow phase...
    Not true, you must manipulate your volume during these phases to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Not true, you must manipulate your volume during these phases to compensate.

would 1month phases be suffice????

example...

1st month:strength
    everything 2-4 reps

2nd month: hypertrophy
    everything 8-10

and so on...???

also y is it neccesary to manipulate volume of sets???
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 04-22-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Badgerman is offline Banned
    I think you body adapts to whatever......SAID.......for example if you start doing speed work your body weight will drop to accomodate the demands of velocity......even though your strength may indeed go up.......for example Ben Johnson very strong and only 170 lbs or so. Best to define your goals, then design your workout to fit. You only have so much CNS capacity so you have to use it wisely.

Thread Information