skribbble is offline Member

Yoga before or after workout?

Im a div 1 football player and i was wondering if it was better to do yoga before or after a workout? If i do it before i was under the impression that i could overstretch and be more succeptible to injury? If i do it after wouldnt it help me increase how flexible i am?

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Good question. I would think either. Before warms/stretches you muscle and increses flexabilty. Some believe you may be prone to injury but I think you will be okay as long as you lift smart which you are suppose to do anyways. After, can help remove toxins, lactate ect.. I have never taken yoga so I am assumming your heart rate is not too elevated. Many also think that the contactile strength is decreased from stretching but in moderation I think you should be fine.

yeah im looking to increase my flexibility so i figured it would be smart to do afterwards? Not that i go by pro based workouts but all of the pro receivers daily routines i have looked at all have yoga an hour or 2 after they lift. Yeah yoga is very calm no sweating or raising of heartrate.

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    which form of yoga are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by skribbble
    yeah im looking to increase my flexibility so i figured it would be smart to do afterwards? Not that i go by pro based workouts but all of the pro receivers daily routines i have looked at all have yoga an hour or 2 after they lift. Yeah yoga is very calm no sweating or raising of heartrate.

I do the yoga video "yoga for athletes" by rodney yee. I do liek a 15 minute routine. Im not sure which form of yoga it is though its not palaties (sp?) or anythng like that

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    its more important that the muscles are warm and that blood is circulating through them before you train. stretching is much more important after you're done lifting/running. also, if you're serious about it, stretching and yoga before you sleep is best(but should not be the only time u stretch during the day). muscle memory works best that way, right before you hit the sack.

Quote Originally Posted by TestTubeBaby
    stretching and yoga before you sleep is best(but should not be the only time u stretch during the day). muscle memory works best that way, right before you hit the sack.
    **** i recently just got lazy with stretching before bed. Ill definatly get back on it thanks!

TestTubeBaby is offline Associate Member
    but remember, overstretching can be just as bad! being too flexible can result in injury as well.

Thread Information