xplicit is offline Member

Are legs really that imporant ?

I know im probably going to have my ass reamed after this one. Before i joined this board i use to listen and watch the pople in my gym and i found the for every person who tells me legs are imporant ihave soe guy tell me there not. I havent done legs na long time i do a lot of cardio and walking and there not ripped but have no fat on them. I heard some oen once told me that back workouts are imporant caue it helps the whole body and overall strenght. Hey again i dont know all the imporant details of legs thats why im asking for some good AR advice. Thanks

Nico is offline Associate Member
    Legs is very important. It is half of your body. working out legs releases hormones in your body. The more hormones running through you, the bigger and stronger you will get. Back is also very important. It is a huge muscle. Evry muscle part needs to be worked out, if you want to get optimal results.

Nate_Dog is offline Member

I love legs

Never used to when I first started training. And it took a while for my to get them to grow(and my calves still lag).

But when I realised how strong they get, and the shear weight you can push with a good set of wheels I was like and was addicted from there on.

I love the feeling of getting my legs strong. So many people make the mistake of mot training their legs. What show ponys. There is nothing worse than someone with a developed upper body and stickly legs. LOOKS REALLY BAD!

double o seven is offline New Member
    i use to not train legs either, and when i got my new workout partner he told me how silly i looked. i just took it in stride and started working my legs like never before and they blew up. there still not huge but compared to what they were...
    oh ya my calves are lagging also, but i'm working on it. do not neglect your legs, it pissis me off everytime i think about what they would look like if i would have worked them from the beggining. and now legs are my favorite muscle to train.

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Legs are very important....who wants to have a well built upper body and two sticks for legs!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Gotta do legs!!! They will actually make your entire body stronger. (I read that somewhere )

Ironweb is offline Member
    If you do not care about balance then no. How many people have you seen with big upper bodies and chicken legs. Does not look right.

Working the legs will make you entire body grow period. I will quote Shawn Ray here "A bodybuilder is built from the ground up" Now look at that guy and tell me legs are not important.

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    how are legs not important? they are half your body and if you dont have them you look like a dumb water tower.

mishon1 is offline Associate Member
    dont do legs if u want to b the big guy n the gym with some tiny ass legs. yea it looks stupid so fuk that shit. everyone will say damn he big but look at his tiny ass legs.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by ironmike7000
    Legs are very important....who wants to have a well built upper body and two sticks for legs!
    I couldn't agree more. Actually leg exercises like squats are good for your heart, someone said that doing a heavy set of squats is like running a 50 yard dash.
    the legs are only the largest muscle in your body.. I mean, gosh, wouldn't you want to work the largest muscle in your body?

Nate_Dog is offline Member
    Originally posted by Sicilian30

I couldn't agree more. Actually leg exercises like squats are good for your heart, someone said that doing a heavy set of squats is like running a 50 yard dash.
    the legs are only the largest muscle in your body.. I mean, gosh, wouldn't you want to work the largest muscle in your body?
    This is how heavy weight training chqanges the heart:

When you say squat,.. it effectively squeezes most of the blood out of the legs (when contracted). Mix this with breath holding and your blood pressure goes threw the roof. This constant pressure on the heart makes the walls of the heart get thicker/stronger. But SV gets smaller (explained later).

BUT this can be a disadvantage, when you do heaps of cardio training over time the opposite happens, the heart walls thin(the left ventricle). The stroke volume of the heart increases and the heart gets more efficient. And your resting HR will be less due to the increased SV.

All depends what you are training for.

Just thought I would clear that up.

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    Xplicit

Speaking as someone who concentrated on everything for teh waist up for some time, I can tell you that sacrificing any time on your wheels now, will see you having to spend much time making up for it in the future.

I hate doing leg workouts, and over the last couple of years I concentrated on upper body beacuse I saw more results. The reuslt; chicken legs.

So now I am forced to spend one workout in three working nothing but the wheels, and compared to the rest of me, progress is real slow.

I still hate leg days, but I know they're worth it in the end!

Tie

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Would you build a house with a weak foundation ?.

Your two most important muscle groups are your legs and abs, yes ABS. Strong legs are your foundation of strenght and strong abs connect the strong two halves together. Weak abs will lead to a back vulnurable to injury. Anyway back to legs.

Anyway like I said, would you build a house with a weak foundation?.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer

Amen Bouncer.

The legs are the begininng of the art of bodybuilding. Do them or fail your art class.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Well I guess it really depends on what your gaols are. I think that one who trained for a well symetrical body would have to incorporate legs.
    IC

I love working out legs. They were one of my favorite workouts. I just gave them up basically casue i do a lot of cardio and basketball and i already go to the gym 5 days a week. I figure i cut it out of my routine. I think i am going to go back to working out legs. Ill take TIE's advice, i have a feeling down the road im going to have some chicken legs compared to my body and regret not working them out.

kingjmack is offline Junior Member
    When I first started working out, I never trained legs. Once I finally did start training them, my confidence went through the roof. My wife likes me to work out legs because she likes the shape my glutes are becoming. Legs are important. For me, my quads are my most responsive muscle to heavy training.

Ok you guys are right im going back to legs i always liked doing them casue my legs are strong but i hated that i had to do 6 muscls a week.

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    dont do legs if u want to b the big guy n the gym with some tiny ass legs
    hhah, today I was at the gym and this dude with a huge upper body is like grunting and screaming, then walking around between sets like he is all badass, and he had these tiny stick legs. I wanted to ask him if he ever trained legs before. I don't think they know how silly they really look. Don't be that guy!

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    upper body wont get to its potential without legs to hold them up
    3 things i used to tell my friends who did not train legs
    1)their upper body was gonna sue for non support
    2)they look like a flamingo in search of water
    3)they look like a water tower---2 stilts holding up a upper body bloated with water
    why do I say these things to people I know---I heard them all when I did not do legs and just upper body----now my legs are close to 30" and one of my biggest body parts
    and by the way back then i was 170 area now i'm 244

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    It is a fact that failing to train legs will hinder your overall training. Studies show that our body realizes that there is an imbalance and progress will slow in upper body work as well.

And I've seen it happen.

Parker is offline New Member
    Of course you should train your legs. That's like a boxer asking if he should fight with both arms or just one. Being someone who has extreme knee/ankle problems, it pisses me off so much to see guys with huge upper bodies and no legs. They look like such wannabes who can bench press quite a bit but can't squat their bodyweight. I would give anything for a normal pair of joints just to be able to load up the squat rack and squat to my heart's content. I have had multiple surgeries on my joints with one main question for my doctor: "You think I will be able to do squats?" Due to severe joint problems I have to train legs unconventionally and light and consequently will probably never be able to seriously compete. Just take advantage of all your joints and muscles and develop all of them, not just a few. As far as training goes, you need adequate leg strength for exercises such as standing military press, deadlifts, shrugs, bent over rows, and also the torso strength you build with leg training affects practically all upper body mass building exercises.

I have added legs into my workout i do squats lounges and calf raises. I have strong legs as it is and there porpotioned well with my body thats why i never worked them out. I do a lot of walking and playing basketball so there strong and i can push good weight with them for my size, but thanks for hte advice.

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Originally posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    EXACT AND MATTER OF FACT.........................

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I always said you can tell the guys that work hard, from the guys that work, by looking at their legs...

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I am struggling hard to add size to my legs, I got some bad ones from my parents. It is a slow and painful process but I will never give up!!

Thread Information