lzicc is offline Senior Member

Running out of steam during 5x5 workout

I am 8 weeks into a cycle right now. I changed up my routing at the beginning of the cycle to a 5x5 routine. I do chest/tries, back/bies, shoulders/legs. Each workout takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete and I am doing compound movements. I take about 3 minutes between sets on my 5x5 exercises and a little less on the high rep ones. I have 1 compound excercise for each bodypart and then 4 sets of higher reps of a differnet exercise for that bodypart.

When I first started this routine, it was fairly easy, but as I have been increasing the weight, it's getting tuff to finish the workout. The shoulders/legs are not too bad, but the other chest/tries back/bies are exhausting me halfway through the workout.

I think that I am going to break it up to chest one day, tries another day, etc, till I change my workout routine again.

I thought about trying some kind of energy drink to keep me going, but maybe my body is telling me it's too much to do at once.

Does anyone else do a 5x5 routine doing this many bodyparts each workout for a 5x5? If so, how are you making out?

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    dont use the 5x5 routine in my workouts but i like to split up chest/tris and back/bis...generally too exhausted to do them....use to do them together on same day but switched it up a while back, i will do chest one day, back another day, then set up a day just for bis/tris/forearms...works for me...

Plus, if I split things up, I think I can concentrate better on the muscle I am working. When I do chest/tries, I do chest first and I feel like my tries are getting cheated. Thanks TDG for the reply.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    I just started my 5x5 routine this morning. I am trying something new for the next month. Had to stop squats because my lower back started to hurt, so I quit after two sets. I have a history of vertabrae issues because I have one extra half of one. Abnormal from birth. I am hitting one large muscle group and one small.

That is what I was doing and it was working fine until I started to get closer to my plateau. I haven't hit it yet, but getting close. I do flat bench for my 5x5 which is starting to get hard with the weight increases. By the time I am done with chest, my tries are exhausted. I do close grip bench for my tries 5x5's.

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    I just started my 5x5 routine this morning. I am trying something new for the next month. Had to stop squats because my lower back started to hurt, so I quit after two sets. I have a history of vertabrae issues because I have one extra half of one. Abnormal from birth. I am hitting one large muscle group and one small.

IBENCH700 is offline Junior Member
    i use to do the 5x5...for one it was keeping me in the gym a little longer than i wanted...now i do 3x10.....this is my bench press i do 2 warm up sets of 20 of 135-40...then i go straight to 375...i do it 6 reps 3 sets w/3 min. rest in between sets...when i get to where i can do 10 reps of the 375....i will jump to 400-415...which after getting 375 for 10...i would say i could get 400-415 at least 5 times....so i am already half way to my next goal...

i also work each body part twice a week,but with a different routine,example (barbell-dumbell)...just cut down from 5 sets to 3 and plie on a little more weight and go for more reps.as in my routine above.

you will love the results believe me.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Just guessing. . .
    I would say that your phase before your 5 x 5 phase did not prepare your body for the higher volume/more intense training. Now you are paying for it. . .

no not really? i shoot for one more than i did the last time...i take it slow...w/the dumbells ....it is alot lighter weight...there for i stay good and streched....but i have only been doing it for a month or so....but the first week i could really tell a difference...the pumps stay w/me....and i feel strong and i am getting even stronger.

the only day i take completely off is sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by IBENCH700
    no not really? i shoot for one more than i did the last time...i take it slow...w/the dumbells ....it is alot lighter weight...there for i stay good and streched....but i have only been doing it for a month or so....but the first week i could really tell a difference...the pumps stay w/me....and i feel strong and i am getting even stronger.

the only day i take completely off is sunday.
    My assumption was directed towards Izicc as to why he is fatigued. . .

ok sorry about that.....

Hey Hyper, what do you mean when you say about my phase?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Just guessing. . .
    I would say that your phase before your 5 x 5 phase did not prepare your body for the higher volume/more intense training. Now you are paying for it. . .

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    What type of routine were you doing prior? If you are not conditioned then 5x5 will exhaust you that you cannot complete. It is not a begginner program if done correctly.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    I am 8 weeks into a cycle right now. I changed up my routing at the beginning of the cycle to a 5x5 routine. I do chest/tries, back/bies, shoulders/legs. Each workout takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to complete and I am doing compound movements. I take about 3 minutes between sets on my 5x5 exercises and a little less on the high rep ones. I have 1 compound excercise for each bodypart and then 4 sets of higher reps of a differnet exercise for that bodypart.

When I first started this routine, it was fairly easy, but as I have been increasing the weight, it's getting tuff to finish the workout. The shoulders/legs are not too bad, but the other chest/tries back/bies are exhausting me halfway through the workout.

I think that I am going to break it up to chest one day, tries another day, etc, till I change my workout routine again.

I thought about trying some kind of energy drink to keep me going, but maybe my body is telling me it's too much to do at once.

Does anyone else do a 5x5 routine doing this many bodyparts each workout for a 5x5? If so, how are you making out?

shoulders and legs on the same day??? thats crazy...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    shoulders and legs on the same day??? thats crazy...
    5x5... thats Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    5x5... thats Crazy!

too boring too!

Quote Originally Posted by bluethunder
    What type of routine were you doing prior? If you are not conditioned then 5x5 will exhaust you that you cannot complete. It is not a begginner program if done correctly.
    Yes, this is what I meant. Each training phase prior to your next phase should prepare your body for that training phase. If there is a significant and sudden increase in volume, intensity or frequency, your body may not be able to adapt to the new stimulis, thus, causing overtrianing, or in your case, fatigue/exhaustion before the program is concluded. . .

I see what you are saying now. I was doing a 3 day split before this and a full body workout before that.
    Day 1 - Chest
    Day 2 - Back
    Day 3 - Arms/Legs

I try to change things up every so often. I would also split up high/low volume every other workout.

I didn't do direct shoulder workouts before as I was doing all compound exercises and my shoulders are growing really just from that. My next split that I change to will not include a shoulder day. I just wanted to try something different this time around. I only do squats for legs and would throw them in on arm day. I am going to start having a seperate leg day on it's own in the future with other exercises and do a 4 day split.

My shoulder/legs 5x5 I don't have any issue's with, allthough I am tired when I finish it up. Its mainly chest/tries is the most taxing and then the back/bies. My arms just tire out by the time I am ready to hit them for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Yes, this is what I meant. Each training phase prior to your next phase should prepare your body for that training phase. If there is a significant and sudden increase in volume, intensity or frequency, your body may not be able to adapt to the new stimulis, thus, causing overtrianing, or in your case, fatigue/exhaustion before the program is concluded. . .

Quote Originally Posted by lzicc
    I see what you are saying now. I was doing a 3 day split before this and a full body workout before that.
    Day 1 - Chest
    Day 2 - Back
    Day 3 - Arms/Legs

I try to change things up every so often. I would also split up high/low volume every other workout.

I didn't do direct shoulder workouts before as I was doing all compound exercises and my shoulders are growing really just from that. My next split that I change to will not include a shoulder day. I just wanted to try something different this time around. I only do squats for legs and would throw them in on arm day. I am going to start having a seperate leg day on it's own in the future with other exercises and do a 4 day split.

My shoulder/legs 5x5 I don't have any issue's with, allthough I am tired when I finish it up. Its mainly chest/tries is the most taxing and then the back/bies. My arms just tire out by the time I am ready to hit them for that day.

what are your exercises like? all i know is i wouldnt even be able to do this split effectively when i was all gassed up! there's reasons y you're getting worn out; 1. b/c of what hyper said! 2.you're not getting enough recovery time between muscle groups! 3. you're not allowing your CNS enough time to recover...and to some all this up, you're overtraining!

Thread Information