lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member

critique my chest workout

incline bench 3 sets-8,6,6
    incline db flyes 3 sets-8,6,6
    decline bench 3 sets- 8,6,6
    decline db flyes 3 sets- 8,6,6
    flat bench 3 sets- 8,6,6
    cable flyes 3 sets- 8,6,6
    i also do 2 warm up sets in the begining. im tryin to bulk a lil more and my chest is imo my smallest part.

DaGCHILD is offline Junior Member
    If your trying to build more mass on your chest I would cut down on the exercises, 18 sets is too much for chest imo. Get rid of decline and i would recommend not doing DB's and BB in the same workout, some like it, but i think doing BB movements for 3-4 weeks then swithcing to DB's for another 3-4 weeks and etc is the best way to go. Some will argue but its a personla preference. BB exercies build the most mass, so It would make sense to hit BB's hard and intense then start using DB's later on imo. Try something like this

flat bench 4 sets

incline bench 4 sets ( do either the incline BB or i've been actually doing an incline BB exercise that narkissos recommended which has been BLASTING my upper chest. I like it alooooot more than regular incline bench. Its called a neck press to the throat, let me know if you want more info on that. )
    3 sets Flat DB flys or Incline Flys, choose either depending on whether or not your upper or lower chest needs the most work
    And finish up with some heavy weighted dips 3 sets

And just go heavy with low reps and hit the sets hard
    Hope that helps..

SayHelotomylilFriend is offline Associate Member
    too many exercises I think... You are overtraining big time.. as a result, you won't gain mass but you will be cutting.

JayP40 is offline Junior Member
    explain more on the neck presses

yeah can u tell me what the neck presses are. my upper chest is a lil underdeveloped so that would be good.. thanks for the advice

here is the link, check it out
    Need help with UPPER CHEST

IMO ive never realllllly felt like ive gotten a good upper chest workout from the inlcine bench and I think most will agree so I replaced it with this, its great.
    make sure you have a spotter and trust me this will blast your upper chest, it is so much better than the traditional incline bench, nark's the man he helped me out big time

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    my advice is keep it simple and heavy...

2 sets incline db
    2 sets flat bench db
    2 sets incline flye
    dips to failure

3 sets is not always the magic #. everyone always believes you have to do atleast 3 sets of each exercise.

fat mike how many warmups do you do? or is that just 2 sets period

Quote Originally Posted by DaGCHILD
    here is the link, check it out
    Need help with UPPER CHEST

IMO ive never realllllly felt like ive gotten a good upper chest workout from the inlcine bench and I think most will agree so I replaced it with this, its great.
    make sure you have a spotter and trust me this will blast your upper chest, it is so much better than the traditional incline bench, nark's the man he helped me out big time
    im sorry but i im confused at how he explained it.. i should put my head where my feet usually are? and how do i lower my hips? i feel retarded right now

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayP40
    fat mike how many warmups do you do? or is that just 2 sets period
    I maybe do 1 warm up set to get the blood flowing for 20-30 reps.

thanx mike

i am in the same boat with lucabratzi. still a lil confused on the neck presses

lol dont worry i was confused as hell too, basically what you need to do is lay down the oppsite way, ur lower body, like hips and legs should be offf the bench. If it wasnt off the bench, then ya your head would be where your legs normally are. ur head should be close enough tot he rack where you can raise ur arms and grab the bar yourself. And then just slowly bring it down to ur neck./throat and then explode on the raise. Hope this helps a bit. YOu gotta go and try it in the gym to see what im saying.

ok gotcha.. so where ur head use to be, now ur back is against that edge.

yea exactly, the edge of the bench will be agaisnt ur lower back, kinda poking it in a way, and ur legs will be off the bench completely. Remember keep ur head down ont he bench when u bring the bar down to ur throat slowly and then explode up. And if people look at you weird its cuz they are morons and dont know this secret lol.

is your arse on the floor or in the air?

its in the AIR

is there any difference in this compared to incline presses? could you just bring the bar to your throat on incline presses and it be the same thing?

thats a good question. I tried doing this on the regular incline press and realized two things. First, its harder to do because the bar keeps hiting the rack cuz its so close. Second, I feel it work the upper chest a lot more by doing it on the regular flat bench. Maybe Nark can explain this further or has a better answer, I'll try to get him to respond. Stay tuned.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayP40
    is there any difference in this compared to incline presses? could you just bring the bar to your throat on incline presses and it be the same thing?
    It'd be similar..but because of allignment differences it'd be a different stimuli.

I've tried Flat Bench Presses to the Throat...and i always do my Incline presses to the Throat region also... So YES they'd be good substitutions/additions to your current movements.

In bodybuilding...after years of training, one realises that minor changes: hand positioning..elbow allignment..and in this case, Pressing Arc (cus the bar now travels a different path)...minor adjustments can reap major rewards

devilman208 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    incline bench 3 sets-8,6,6
    incline db flyes 3 sets-8,6,6
    decline bench 3 sets- 8,6,6
    decline db flyes 3 sets- 8,6,6
    flat bench 3 sets- 8,6,6
    cable flyes 3 sets- 8,6,6
    i also do 2 warm up sets in the begining. im tryin to bulk a lil more and my chest is imo my smallest part.
    Actually, I switched to some thing like this for my chest. It was lagging and I decided to hit it from all angles and just blast the piss out of it and now its just massive!

Thanks for the quick response Nark, Ima check that link out you sent me and give you my input as soon as I can....quick question tho...So for upper chest development would u recommend hitting the throat press on the flat bench or on the incline? or maybe do both? what ya think...thanks

Both if you are periodising upper chest development.

Either individually... will do in the place of its corresponding movement

My upper chest lags some...so i personally try to do both movements to the throat.

I even recently started attempting declines to the throat area..The stretch is EXTREME... but i wouldn't advocate it as:

1.it's an unusual pressing arc...thus may impinge on the rotator cuff
    2. it's an extreme stretch...thus may precipitate injury
    3. it's harder to control

Thread Information